Ok Lets See Who Can Figure This One Out? Network Related..

Heres whats happening. I have a home Network with 4 PC's, 3 Running XP and 1 running Win2k Server. Now when I transfer a Zip file or .RAR File from one machine to another, it transfers fine and fast. But If I try to extract the file on the PC I transfered to. I get an error saying the .exe or file is corrupt. But if I extract the file on the PC that I sent it from, it extracts fine?

This only happens once in a while.

Strange but annoying since I have to test every file I send.

Thanks Much

Chris

How much traffic is going across your LAN? Do they share Internet connections? Do you have a switch or just a hub?

The reasons for these questions are this:

If there is a large amount of traffic and you have a hub (not a switch) then you could be getting collisions on you network. Most of the time a packet is resent when a collision is detected, but there are time when that doesn't happen resulting in a corrupt file. the reason I say Hub and Switch .. is a switch has some smarts to it and will help to control the flow of traffic.

If the file works on the "original" computer, and not on the "sent-to" computer, then something seems to have happened in the transfer.

This could be hard to prove ... maybe you could shut down some of the other computers when you get ready to transfer a file and see if you still get corrupted compressed files.

Another possibility is a bad NIC or *maybe* a bad driver ... but I don't thing that is as likely as the other above mentioned reason simply because it is so intermittent.

Let me know if this help, or makes sense ...

Interestingly enough, I have seen a similar problem. Are you using homemade or store bought network cables?

I had a situation where one of my employees made the cables and reversed one of the wires when terminating the cable. The files seemed to transfer fine, but they were always corrupt.

My Cables are store bought. I am transfering files that I downloaded form the Net on to my laptop, and am transfering them from the laptop to the server.

I am using a Linksys Router and I also have a Linksys 5 Port Switch.

There is alot of Activity on my server due to it being a FTP Server.

But I have never really saw the collision Light on my Router Blink.

Thanks So Much for all your Help.

Chris

This happens to me all the time, however mostly when I burn CDs. HTe only explanation I can find is that I am not using MS's little zip utility, and the machine does nto like it. I have sought a resolution and came to no avail.

try uninstalling those zip apps and using the crappy MS app to see if the problem still occurs.

C!

www.lowreview.com

Originally posted by Eth3l  

This happens to me all the time, however mostly when I burn CDs.  HTe only explanation I can find is that I am not using MS's little zip utility, and the machine does nto like it.  I have sought a resolution and came to no avail.

try uninstalling those zip apps and using the crappy MS app to see if the problem still occurs.

No offence, but I don't think that is the problem nor does that have anything to do with it ... :)

I have *NEVER* used M$ crappy zip program and I don't have any problems (used to use Winzip 8.1 now use WinRAR 3.0 Beta2).

sounds like a mobo problem ... u guys remember that southbridge problems showing up on certain mobo's where the manufacturer overclocked them and caused file transfers of large size to become corrupt ... it might be happening to you

i don't remember the name of the mobo ... maybe someone can help me

Originally posted by chriskober  

My Cables are store bought.  . . .

Thanks So Much for all your Help.

Chris

I must agree with some other responses. Bad cables can do weird things. Just because a cable is store bought doesn't mean the cables are good! I've seen piles of mislabeled and improperly manufactured cables being sold in independent retail stores and even one chain. Poorer quality types of cables are usually bought at a local PC store.

If you don't have a LAN tester (TDR) then do the following to visually inspect the cables. Disconnect and examine the RJ-45/48 connectors. If you look straight down on the end, you should be able to see metal at the end of each wire. Normally, the wire is exposed when it's cut and inserted for crimping into the connector, but sometimes the wire insulation is stretched and the wire doesn't get inserted far enough, so when the connector is crimped, the wire doesn't have a good enough connection and may be the cause of 'ghost', intermittent problems. (This is one way to visually check.) To verify if this is part of the problem, temporarily replace the cable to the one misbehavin' PC with a cable that usually connects another PC to the switch and that always works. Then transfer compressed files again.

Second part of your visual inspection: make sure the wire pairs are correct without any unusual crimping on the cable ends. For a standard Ethernet connector, four pins and their four wires (2 pairs) are what you should be concerned with. Wires are always in colored/striped pairs and usually should be twisted properly to eliminated certain crosstalk and other frequecy inductive problems (Especially check the ends of the cables near the connectors. Newer cables don't necessarily have more twisting, but wires are bonded together to achieve the majority of the effect with some twisting still necessary.)

standard Ethernet (straight through or patch) cable:

pins first end ---- pins other end

1 ------------------ 1 white/green

2 ------------------ 2 green

3 ------------------ 3 white/orange

6 ------------------ 6 orange

standard Ethernet crossover cable:

1 ------------------ 3 white/orange

2 ------------------ 6 orange

3 ------------------ 1 white/green

6 ------------------ 2 orange

That's all you have to check for cables. (Color pairs can be any but must be in pairs for pin connections.)

I must agree with another comment. If the problem is occurring from one PC with it's compression, the problem is probably from that PC. (Do the same problems occur on that PC transferring uncompressed files?)

Lastly I must also agree with another comment. Why compress if you are using a switch? (I assume you use full duplex!)

To transfer a single 180MB (ISO) file took me close to 1.58 minutes (linksys switch). To transfer 139MB of 126 files and directories took about 3 minutes. (How much speed would I gain by zipping this stuff?) Transferring a 1GB file takes about 12-15 minutes, but transferring 1GB of files can take up to 45 minutes.

But how long does it take to zip and then unzip that info on each end? I don't know, because I only unzip stuff that I download, I never rezip stuff up.

Of course the nice thing about networking is that you can do other things while the file transfers occur.

hmmmm is the file transfers skipping

or too fast

these situation sounds just like how u download a file

when the file is copied to another comp are the file size exact?