What's your opinion of a hacker???

People could debate the english word that defines people who do a certain action affiliated with/not with hacking, but I think people are getting way too riled up about something real small. Most of us here at Neowin have an I.Q. above room temperature and can judge a persons character, sort of like with scoob (a.k.a. msn-, etc.), it wasn't hard to tell that he was a little twirp. Besides, who really uses the term 'hacker' practically anyway? I mean, someone doesn't come up to you and say "Oh, blah blah blah, and this guy, he's a hacker" and you just accept that, you'd go "What do you mean, hacker? Look at me, I'm programming a "crack" that turns your 486 into a P4 in this advanced programming language called QBASIC (you know these people) or the real deal?" - and even then you'd ask more.

As for the distinctions between hacker, cracker, etc, although I'm not going by some computer guru dictionary here, for me it goes like this..

hacker - This is a reeeeeeally broad term nowadays (for me at least) considering the way the media and hollywood and ringed it for all the attention and/or box office ratings it's worth. But if I'm talking to someone who's a friend and who I know isn't an idiot or anything, I'd basically assume someone who enjoys gutting a computer and it's software or a network for whatever reason, maybe malicious, maybe not.

cracker - The above, but with malicious intent being an expectation.

That's just how I go by these days though, just my two cents.

Originally posted by nuggetman  

Of course it was. I know I could crack 128bit encryption in one minute with a gun to my head while getting sucked off.

lol, oh but of course! Just like I could compile a worm on a 128-bit terminal by mashing my hands on the keyboard randomly whilst staring at 6 to 8 LCD monitors with random 3D renders and shouting to the air like you're betting on a racehorse or trying to get an erection (I mean, c'mon, did you listen to the guy?! He sounded like an complete dag!). Swordfish was a cool movie though, it just didn't pay attention to any actual facts, lol. I'm going back to Jurassic Park, I think the worst I've ever seen computers potrayed in a movie was the scene when the raptors were trying to get through the door and that girl was "hacking" the "unix system" by navigating around this 3d landscape with embossed cubes on it until she got to this cube on the 3d landscape that had "SECURITY SYSTEMS" or something like that on it, man that was funny! Still, again, that was a cool movie too! Anyway, this is off topic..

ahh do we really need to debate the definition of the term hacker we each have our own idea of what a hacker is and the topic is what are you opions of them.

Personally I think Hackers can fit into two categories, good and harmful, there are some hackers out there who hack to expose securrity holes etc, thats good because it exposes security risks and makes us more aware and secure.

Then there are those who just hack for criminal reasons, and thats pretty harmful and useless, in either event just like we will always have criminals theres always going to be hackers, or electronic criminals in some form or another, thankfully though legislation against electronic crime is becomming severly more tougher and enforcable just as any other crime.

well dorothy,

there are good hackers and there are bad hackers,

not to mention script kiddie lamerz.

I believe that any hacker who follows the basic hacker ethics is no problem to anyone who is doing the right thing out there

Hm.

This thread made for interesting reading, a lot of people seem to think they know the answers, but they are all different. Odd..

Most of your opinions are based on nothing but news pages and other media sources, and would be considered pretty much bullsh*t by anyone whos been involved in the scene.

The terms mean nothing, the skill of the person, and what they use it for, is whats important. (And how much of a tw*t they are.)

Its almost like saying 'what is your opinion of network admins', which is a slightly vague statement.

On a personal note, I have a great deal of respect for .asm virus writers, of which there are about 3 in the uk. They are pretty smart guys, who (at least in the case of PaX), seem to do it just to see how small and tidy they can get a bit of dam clever code.

But never release it obviously.

yep, i hate them stupid little kids who think they are hackers, but honestly sub7 can do some quite nifty things....like turn off monitor and stuff but i don't use it much as u don't actually c it happening...........:( hacking is lame, but there are some good hackers, i read in PC Pro or summing like that about good or bad hackers, there were loads of good ones, some of them were doing it on purpose so microsoft would get their act 2gether and do summing about the secruity..........:D

read in PC Pro or summing like that about good or bad hackers

So you are quoting a magazine article, which was probably written by someone with know real insight into security, who had just read some news on neowin or theregister.

Valuable input there ;)

Originally posted by Troop101  

Script Kiddies annoy me so much. They use a program like Sub7 and they go around thinking there a hacker. :right:

Lol troop i remember 1 time you said "im the l33test hacker around"

and i said prove it and you said ok give m your ip first!

LOL! :D :D :D

you kiddies!

Okay i'll set it straight.

Basically, before the holywood **** made it someone who breaks into systems, this is the definition of a hacker.

Hacker /n./1.  

A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. 2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming. 3. A person capable of appreciating hack value. 4. A person who is good at programming quickly. 5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in `a Unix hacker'. (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.) 6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example. 7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Now, this up is being called a cracker. This is sad, actually. I'm a unix/linux guy and the thing is, I remember the good old days of kernel hacking, where you would actually tweak out the source of your kernel adding options 'till it would explode.

heh.

Originally posted by Faction  

Lol your stupidity amazes me. A cheater and a hacker are the same thing, but using a cheat, is like entering a code, hacking, is using wallhack-aimhack etc. Because your hacking files / the game.

geez dude, just stfu and die!

cheater, that uses your favorite wallhack/aimhack is nothing more than a SCRIPT KIDDIE! if you think that you are a "hacker" just becuase you can cheat in counterstrike doesn't mean you are one. you have no bloody idea how wallhack or aimhack or any other cheats work. you just blindly use them. which is by you own definition is script kiddie.

i'm done with this retarded thread. don't bother replying.

Of course there are broad defenitions. But we all know what the really good ones are... often the ones who have been on the scene the longest and dont spend their whole time being de-constructive. The ones who have been on the scene the longest remember when 1337 talk was really for hackers instread of newbies (basically no hackers use it today, just

5|

ROFL

Originally posted by Faction

Lol your stupidity amazes me. A cheater and a hacker are the same thing, but using a cheat, is like entering a code, hacking, is using wallhack-aimhack etc. Because your hacking files / the game.

I didnt think people could be that stupid

--MxxCon is absolutely right