Please Please Help!!!!!! Expert Tech Needed

I just got my Dell Laptop and I used Norton Ghost to copy all my files and setting from my Toshiba Laptop. Everything copied fine, but when I start the new Dell I get a blue screen saying to check my drives and remove any newly installed hard drive controllers. I can not get into safe mode.

What Do I Do???

Thanks So Much!

Chris

I think a clean install is the best way to go, not a Ghost to a completely diffrent system.

If you have XP there is a file and settings transfer wizard, otherwise you might just want to install the new os and copy what you need manually and transfer it over a network or floppy.

The Toshiba Drivers aren't compatible with the Dell laptop. Use the recovery CD to reload the Dell. If the Dell has Windows XP use the File and Settings Transfer wizard to move your stuff.

Are you sure you only imaged the user settings and files, not any part of the OS, etc? It appears from the messages you are getting that you actually installed the image over some part of the existing OS instead of just copying the files and settings over (using the wizard facility if in XP).

Sorry to tell you that all laptops are proprietary. They all have significant differences, so of course the drivers for a Toshiba won't work on a Dell. If you were lucky enough to image your Dell before you copied over it and blew it away, or if Dell had an image on the drive, you can restore the Dell from these or the Dell Install/Recovery CD that comes with your laptop. You can always attempt a OS system restore, but it can't recreate a UserProfile as far as I know.

In any case, you will need to overwrite the previous (toshiba) image that you copied to the Dell. Any image, even from another Dell not the exactly same model, with the same hardware would produce the same problems.

Any image must be on PC's or laptops with identical hardware. In the future, use Ghost to image the OS (create a backup of the system), not your user files and settings. The user files and settings should be backed up using the backup utility or copied to another drive/tape etc, not Ghosted.