Copy Setup Files- XP?

When using 9x versions of windows, saving the setup files on the harddrive so you didn't need the cd at later times was as simple as copying over the cabs dir and even changing a value in the registry so any setup wouldn't look for the CD but instead wherever you put those cab files on the harddrive.

How would one do the same for XP? Copy over the I386 directory? Is there a reg value to change so it doesn't go looking for the CD everytime?

Any help would be muchly appreciated. =)

I thought you could copy the i386 dir somewhere else.

Whenever it asks for a file, note the current selected directory and go find it in the registry (also look at the name, if it makes sense)...

But actually, in my experience with XP, I almost never needed the CD again.. Only used to reinstall my machine... And I swapped alot of hardware and drivers in my usage...

Did you need it regulary?

I'm not sure if this will work but I'll still give it a shot...

download TweakXP and go through its settings, one of the options lets u change the installation directory. Change the directory to where u have XP and it should work.

Once again, I'm just guessing all this. Don't flame me if it doesn't work :)

Could work, most drivers are already included in the installed Windows XP..

Whenever it searches for a driver, it will look at it's own files, and installs these.

But if it needs a different component, you'd be better off with copying the CD

Certain networking features that I was playing with kept on needing the disc, and since the files aren't that huge I figured it'd just be easier to copy them right to the harddrive..

I think I found it at my computerlocal machinesoftwaremswinntCurrentVersionSourcePath. Doh, couldn't get any more obvious. =) Thanks for the help guys!