Way around Apache 1.2.23 bug?

Question

Does anyone know a way around the Apache 1.2.23 bug with Windows XP? Apache pukes whenever it runs Windows XP and php.

I've found the only way to keep my site from looking like absolute crap (broken tables, random text, etc.) is to turn off the Apache service and run it manually using the -X switch.

This however, this causes Apache to hog up massive amounts of memory. I have to restart it a few times a day, and one time the process was taking up over 200 megs of RAM.

The only alternative I see is to downgrade to Windows 2000, but I really don't want to do that as I need the Remote Desktop feature on XP.

--

Pablo Macouzet, Jr

http://www.kingnothing.com

7 answers to this question

I've never had that problem with 1.3.22 and XP.

Are you running php as a module or a cgi?

I've heard of troubles with apache as a service, but never experienced them myself.

Can you put up a save of the bad output somewhere so I can see what it looks like?

There's a better description of the bug at the Apache download section .

I'm running php as a module. The problem with the bad output doesn't happen all the time, just at random times, and it turns out I can't get it to mess up now. It basically makes it look like the mySQL database is corrupted with random stuff everywhere, but the database is fully intact.

I forgot to mention the biggest problem is with Internet Explorer. It starts reloading the pages over and over non-stop, or it starts loading a page, then spits out a "Cannot find server or DNS Error" complaint.

BTW, it's nice to know that I'm not the only Georgia Tech student browsing through forums at 3:00 a.m. :D

--

Pablo Macouzet, Jr

http://www.kingnothing.com

I think I found a better way to work around the bug.

Instead of manually running Apache with the -X switch, set implicit_flush in php.ini to "On"

This makes PHP run the flush() function after every echo or print command, which unfortunately means that performance is still degraded quite a bit. There is also at least one report of the same symptoms in the Linux version, so it may not just be limited to WindowsXP.

actually, 1.3.24-dev has it fixed right now.

also, apache2 doesn't yet work with php well enough for my tastes. maybe now that I know how to compile the thing on windows, i can do it, but it's still rather experimental...