How Does Microsoft Make Their Graphics

I've always wondered what program Micrsoft uses for graphics and such that they make since there isn't really a Microsoft image editing program. Just wondering if anyone would know.

I was reading around on MSDN and they were explaining that exact same q. I'll try and find that link buried deep in my history...

They use Power Mac G4s to create the graphics; in fact, the web (graphics) team is in the same building as most of the mac team, and, if you look closely on the MS Jobs Design site they show four total PowerMacs as opposed to only two PCs.

Software would be Photoshop, Fireworks (the best in my opinion because it allows vectors -and- bitmaps, and, while I might like Photoshop 6 I haven't had the time to save up the money for the upgrade from 5.5 (and YES, it's a legal copy), Freehand and, actually, they DO use Ulead PhotoImpact for presentation graphics (just kidding) It was a good site, I'm gonna ream out my history to try and find it. I could take some hints.

P.S. I'm working in the GIMP and finding it incredibly easy (after going from Photoshop) but am looking for any *good* (key word is good) in-depth no-n00b books (e.g. how to create "flaming text"... I don't need that; I want things like masking, compositing, etc.) Any ideas?

suprised they dont use pbrush, picture it, and those 2 paint like programs that come with office 2k..lol tells u that microsoft doesnt make good quality of graphic software when they have to use software on a different OS lol

Microsoft uses Photoshop and at times Fireworks. They don't use their own graphics applications for the public images for the same reason no company of their size would use those programs. Microsoft makes graphics applications that are more for doing basic touchups and for layouts in conjunction with their other applications like Word and Publisher. They are also geared towards small businesses and home users, not corporate graphics departments.

Their use of other applications for graphics work does not detract in any way from the quality of their graphics applications, most of which do what they were designed for very well.

As far as the post about their stealing the graphics from others... I'm assuming that was a joke, if not then maybe you should see if you can take a tour of their art department (like stated before, comprised of some of the same people that work on the Mac version of Office), they are some of the best in their respective fields, just like many of their programmers are (the quality of their applications in no way reflects on some of the really talented programmers there).

Oh by the way, I'm not some MS lackey, as I do most of my computing using FreeBSD in conjunction with Windows XP, however I have had the chance to tour the MS campus and I have several friends that do work and have worked for them.

Originally posted by HackerSp0rtZ

i read somewhere they didnt even make the new windows flag.. a company called frog design (or something) made it

A lot of companies hire third parties to make their logos, etc. You'd be suprised.

Originally posted by HackerSp0rtZ

i read somewhere they didnt even make the new windows flag.. a company called frog design (or something) made it

I can't remember the name of the firm, although you could very well be correct, however here is an interesting item...

The same firm, if I'm not mistaken, did some work with Apple on various things related to OS X. Don't quote me on that :ermm: as I'm not positive I'm right... does anyone else remember hearing that? I do know that it was a competitor or such that the firm did do work for though.

Originally posted by Hawkeye

They could use a combination of Photodraw, Visio, and Paintbrush. Photodraw is pretty powerful if you think about it. :D

Photodraw is very powerful? Well excuse you... let me think about it some more...