Visual Studio.Net 2005 Express beta

Question

I can't tell, I haven't downloaded yet. But from what I've read somewhere here at Neowin, it's another edition, just like Standart, Professional, etc

I'd say it's less than the Standart Edition. But can't tell...

Maybe it will be a free version :woot: :woot: :woot:

Now it is, but that's because it's a beta...

I say it might be a free version in the future (when it's released) as a way to get programmers to use .Net... After all, the compilers are already free and there are some free IDEs to use it... Like Webmatrix or SharpDevelop.

Has anybody downloaded and run it yet?

I can't download right now, only at night... Screenshots would be welcomed too ;)

The express version is aimed for non-professional use, like hobbist etc..

I guess many features will be disabled course i've read somewhere that express edition is just to get developers started for a much lower price.

And how is it compared with Visual Studio.Net 2002 or 2003?

And what features does it lack (since it's express)?

# Are the Express Edition products free?

We have not announced pricing and licensing and will not do so until next calendar year. For the time being, we can tell you that the Express Editions will be low-cost and will continue to be easy to acquire.

It might lack a compiler...

It might lack a compiler...

Well, that wouldn't make sense...

The compilers are free with the .Net Framework SDK, you don't need Visual Studio.net to make .Net applications, just the SDK and a text editor like Notepad.

Unless they take the compilers off the SDK in the next version of the framework... :no:

Well, that wouldn't make sense...

The compilers are free with the .Net Framework SDK, you don't need Visual Studio.net to make .Net applications, just the SDK and a text editor like Notepad.

Unless they take the compilers off the SDK in the next version of the framework... :no:

Good point, so I wonder what features are missing then :/

The interface is a whole lot nicer. I personally prefer the newer toolbars. I found the others harder to customize. It was kind of difficult to distunguish where they started and where they ended. These new ones are easier to see.

I haven't had a crash or problem in the last 20 minutes, so that's a bonus.

I can't really say anything about features, because I don't use everything, but I haven't found anything missing, which prevents me from doing the coding I usually do ( Simple stuff ), so for people like me it is perfect.

There are also many improvements that I have noticed here and there which are a big bonus. I suspect I will find many more too.

Has anyone checked out the Product Feedback center on MSDN? Very very cool.

Product Feedback Center

# Are the Express Edition products free?

We have not announced pricing and licensing and will not do so until next calendar year. For the time being, we can tell you that the Express Editions will be low-cost and will continue to be easy to acquire.

Probably about 99.00. The C|NET article says in "Tens-of-dollars" while the full version will be around 2,000.00 :laugh:

Visual Basic.net Standard 2003 and C# standard (only now I saw it was "Standard" and not "Standart" :blink: :pinch:) already sells for about 100 dolars each.

Maybe they'll sell the whole Visual Studio.net 2005 Express suite for 100 dolars? :woot:

It's free for now because it's a beta product. Once it's final, I'm sure it won't be free :yes:

Very nice, but I can't figure out how to save a solution/project :unsure: Bug? :huh:

is it me or does anyone else hate how every corporate website or print design is full with pictures of smiling people that have nothing to do with the product

It's called marketing :rolleyes:

It's free for now because it's a beta product. Once it's final, I'm sure it won't be free :yes:

Very nice, but I can't figure out how to save a solution/project :unsure: Bug? :huh:

Works fine for me.

Anyway to actually download the real installer files, not the one that connects to a server and downloads them? I already have Visual Basic .NET Standard, might be nice to try C# and C++, I downloaded both express versions.

I found this before and was going to post it, but wanted to check first. (Y)