Doom 3 Screensaver

Only two things I have problems with.

1 - I'm on dual screen and it only shows on one screen. :(

2 - It's getting a little confusing. For me, it would be perfect if you got that circle in the middle to stop rotating. Or better yet, let the person choose what rotates and what doesn't. :woot:

divertom, have u ever tried any release of ur screensavers? Always there is a prob with something.

Stop posting things before testing it.

DirtyLarry, awesome work.

What issues are you having? A little detail please...

It runs great for me. I love it. The only thing I would change is to stop the circle from spinning.

Keep up the good work guys! :)

divertom, have u ever tried any release of ur screensavers? Always there is a prob with something.

Stop posting things before testing it.

DirtyLarry, awesome work.

yeah a little information would be nice im only human

on the upside the first version i had connecting to the net i didnt notice it on my computer since im not running a comercial firewall and just using the windows xp sp2 firewall. I then still didnt see it as a problem since i didnt think IMHO that it was doing anything bad. I didnt see any spyware or viruses on my computer after i was informed that it was connecting to the internet. secondly all the programs i use for making flash files into screensavers have been crap or caused issuse with people (single montor screensaver on dual monitors, etc.) I dont want to spend money on a screensaver program and am trying to do the best I can if you can suggest something better by all means please do.

To everyone about the circle movement yeah i didnt like it at first either but it grew on me. also i dont know if you guys did notice if you think thats the only thing "different" about it its not. The 3 pieces in the triangle move oposite of the main piece. The original doesnt do that it move in sync and the same direction as the main piece. I personally kinda like everything moving. Im going to have to leave it up to dirtylarry since 1 its his and 2 im not that great at flash anyway most of what i had from the lite version is mikey's work. Im going to have the lite version done soon so whoever would rather have it can have it. Im going to have the scanlines removed from it since they lagged the screensaver too much but im going to have the text fade in and out since it would otherwise burn into the screen / not move.

just confirmed the link for 1.d3 works ZackMeister. Dunno why your not able to get it. I had someone say they would mirror it. You can wait for them to do so if you cant get it from my site.

Only two things I have problems with.

1 - I'm on dual screen and it only shows on one screen. :(

2 - It's getting a little confusing. For me, it would be perfect if you got that circle in the middle to stop rotating. Or better yet, let the person choose what rotates and what doesn't. :woot:

Yea... I have the same problem with my second monitor... I think that the version before this worked with my dual monitors, but I could be mistaken

Great job on the screensaver though :) Keep up the good work.

to everyone having dual monitor issues if you arnt using ultramon which can be found here http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ you need to be using it i wouldnt use dual monitors without it. it helps you set wallpapers and screensavers for dual screens in ways normal windows cant. and it has options to put a second taskbar on the second monitor for whatever programs are on that monitor. very good program (Y)

I really like the 1.3 version but I have a couple of ideas. I dont want to be flamed, these are just ideas. I appreciate that those of you who are working on this are taking your own time to do so and I am pleased with this version, but it would be cool none-the-less.

I version of the screensaver which actually requires a password would kind of be cool. Since it is flash, maybe disable the exit on input activation and make the user click a box on the screen and have it actually more like a console from Doom 3. Have another box pop up and ask for a password. It might require a bit of scripting if its possible to add in code. If you can embed VBScript, I can help there. If the password is wrong it will say access denied and go back to the Station Locked thing.

Like I mentioned earlier, these are just ideas, and I dont expect anything.

Another couple of things is I like the 3dish logo, but i really like the light blue color the original screensaver had. It just looked more like the UAC logo.

Thanks for the work so far, it's definately my current screensaver!

hey guys

great work dirty larry. i like it.

i dont mean to be dumb about this i know that you took alot of time to make this. but i think that the verticle lines going back and forth are a bit much. and i was wondering if you could make it a little bit slower, or add the option.

oh another idea just for fine tuning on the image itself. if there were a way to smooth the logo out a bit so that it was still all 3d but not quite as boxy, like rounded edges or something.( i know that requires alot more work)

and the idea for a scripted password is brilliant. i really like the scrolling "station locked" idea.

anyway keep up the good work.

sorry another idea.

hey dl why not add another light source that is really dim up at the top two corners kind of infront of the logo. it would give the logo a bit more depth and it might help smooth the edges out a bit.

just an idea to toy with

late

win_security.gif

Ok heres a better explanation since that probably didnt make sense. I tend to ramble a bit. :blush:

anyway here is our standard windows security screen from windows 2k it would stay the same more or less and it would be a seperate program that would replace task manager but the task manager button would point to a renamed task manager. You then make the lock screen button point to the flash file which would be a self running exe (easily possible with basic flash itself its called projector files for those who dont know). then all the other buttons would work as normal. but imagine. the entire thing would match whatever msstyle theme we end up creating.

Edited by divertom15

That'd be slick if you could get someone to help you make that real. I'd love to help, but unfortunatly my sophomore CS classes haven't done anything advanced yet.

Just dl 1.3d, very kewl, yet I'm not a big fan of the random lines that dance around the screen or the circle rotating. I think I prefer v1.2 better, eventhough it was slower, but it was smooth on my computer and was closer to the actual screen in game.

Awesome job though keep it up!

I have to disagree with a lot of you guys :p I like larrys version much more than mine even tho it doesnt look much like the original. Its concept stuff guys you got to flow with it. :whistle: A lot of what I havent even got planned for the future will brach out from the original concepts and may not even look like the original doom 3 material. Altho i promise to make it look close. this week i plan to screenshot a lot of the game so i have stuff to work with.

Edited by divertom15

I like the password console idea, maybe use some sounds for wrong pw and typing it in correctly.

Another thing is, I hope this one doesn't have an expiration like the old one, and I hope you release the 1.2 (again) version that has scanlines that doesn't expire after a few days.

Lite edition 1.3 and 1.d3 Full edition

well i remade it yes but the scanlines make it lag like crazy. well not that much but it is a bit laggy with the scanlines. My thinking on this is that is cus you have something ontop of all the other activity and it makes everything behind it lag. or somethinglike that. well let me know if you want the scanlines back in. for now im leaving 1.3 like it is. This time I'm actually happy that i found a decent piece of software. Its called Flash 2 Screensaver.

oh yeah for wrong passowords and stuff there would have to be sounds. were would a futuristic mars computer be with silence backing it up? Sound would be a must at that point :yes:

Like i said if anyone wants to help program by all means talk to me.if you got anyone you know who would be interested talk to them. :cool: sooner we can see this a reality the better IMO. I know a little java programing but i dont figure thats going to get me far so anyone willing to be a programer for it would get my approval.

Edited by divertom15

I'm working on a DirectX8 one that will have many settings you can change, so far I have thought of colors, rotation speed, sound on/off, maybe different sounds, scanlines on/off and scanline speed, and power flucuations... This might take awhile, but I'll provide more info when I can. I'm busy modeling right now.

Lite edition 1.3 and 1.d3 Full edition

well i remade it yes but the scanlines make it lag like crazy. well not that much but it is a bit laggy with the scanlines. My thinking on this is that is cus you have something ontop of all the other activity and it makes everything behind it lag. or somethinglike that. well let me know if you want the scanlines back in. for now im leaving 1.3 like it is. This time I'm actually happy that i found a decent piece of software. Its called Flash 2 Screensaver.

oh yeah for wrong passowords and stuff there would have to be sounds. were would a futuristic mars computer be with silence backing it up? Sound would be a must at that point :yes:

Like i said if anyone wants to help program by all means talk to me.if you got anyone you know who would be interested talk to them. :cool: sooner we can see this a reality the better IMO. I know a little java programing but i dont figure thats going to get me far so anyone willing to be a programer for it would get my approval.

I like the light version, just because its hanging closer to the original like in the game. It'd be kewl to add the scanlines to the lite version, but as you said it makes it lag like crazy. If you could add them and some very light lighting in the four corners as if thats where the screen was being projected from (as I think someone suggested earlier) you'd have a perfect copy. Thanks for releasing two versions btw. I'll run them both by all the kids in my hall and see which they like better (as they've all watched/played doom3 enough to know which they'll like).

Awesome job guys :woot:

What's Up All.

First Off Thanks for all of the replies, it makes it all well worth it. :D

Secondly, I can, and do plan on making more versions, thats for sure.

? Get rid of the lines in the background? No Problem. Thats as easy as deleting a layer in Flash. 2 seconds of wor(Y)Y) Although I am going to leave versions with it. I personally feel it adds a dimension, and actually a "hysteria" that I was going for, to the piece, so I will leave versions with it.

? Stop the circle from moving? Also Not A Probl(Y) (Y) Not 2 seconds of work, but can also easily be done. I will play around with this idea and I also have some ideas on what can happen with the circle staying put.

? Different Colors? I plan to and will work on(Y)at (Y)

? Password Protected? Also definitely can be done, although I really have to think about this one personally. The work involved for that might be a bit much, especially when considering this is a ScreenSaver, and that it should turn on and off when and how the user wants it too. If enough people go crazy over a Password protected Version, then I will definitely consider it. If not, personally, I dont want to force that on people, it just seems like it can be to much if the user does not want it.

? The Scan Lines - Everyone is missing the Scan Lines, so I will add them in one of my next versions. If your computer can handle the extra load, then great. If it cant, use the version without Scan Lines, which I recommend.

Also I plan on working on the logo itself some more as well. I re-created it in Illustrator, then I made it 3D and animated using a program called Swift 3D. When i exported it for use in Flash, I made it very large initially, so I actually scaled it down within Flash, 80% to be exact. I am going to take the Swift File and scale it down 80% Next Time I export it, so this should help make it "crisper."

So give me some time, and I will add/subtract as much as I can to this next version. This being a shorter work week presses me on time, but I will fit working on the next Round whenever I possibly can.

DL