C# Screen saver?

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a program that shows the user's current screen saver in it,just like the screen saver tab in the display menu.I'm using c# but I don't know how to do it.

Please help me.Thanks in advance ;) .

OK. When I use Spy++ to find the handle for a running .NET form and it's picture box, the screen saver works with that handle. You're going to have to use something different to get you handle. I'd try FindWindow and FindWindowEx. Lame, I know, but it should work.

I sort of found out the problem

When you call Process.Start, it calles the Open procedure of the file (so if you told it to open a word doc, it would do the same code as if you double clicked on it) so when the function is called instead of passing the proper commands it passes a /S instead

example

C:\Windows\system32\login.scr /S

instead of

C:\Windows\system32\login.scr /P Handle

It does the same thing when i call ShellExecute through interop

Looks like we have to find a command that doesn't call it like that.

In my last post, i discovered the problem, in this post i worked it out

You shouldn't call Process.Start or ShellExecute, you should call WinExec as the Delphi example does, that will leave you with this.

Edit: it should work with picture boxes to, i just haven't tried it. but make sure the picture box isn't re-sizable, that could cause problems

Also, here is the code (sorry it's in vb, i dont know much c#, but it's easy to convert)

Whack this is the declarations bit

Private Declare Function WinExec Lib "kernel32" (ByVal lpCmdLine As String, ByVal nCmdShow As Integer) As Integer

call this to load the screen saver, the 1 at the end is for the constant SW_SHOW in Delphi and SW_SHOWNORMAL in vb

Also, the Flurry screen saver is just on my system, but it's cool and i recommend getting it.

WinExec("C:\Windows\system32\Flurry.scr /p " & Me.Handle.ToString, 1)

post-47-1093403729.png

Edited by The_Decryptor

And here it is in a picture box

here's what i changed

Old

New

WinExec("C:\Windows\system32\Flurry.scr /p " & PictureBox1.Handle.ToString, 1)

Also, rajputwarrior, i know, i got it on my eMac :yes:

Edit: darkmark327, it doesn't look like it needs your code to work, what was the problem that needed you to make it?

post-47-1093404645.png

And here it is in a picture box

here's what i changed

Old

New

WinExec("C:\Windows\system32\Flurry.scr /p " & PictureBox1.Handle.ToString, 1)

Also, rajputwarrior, i know, i got it on my eMac :yes:

Well, congrats.

When I was using ShellNotifyIcon (for balloon tips in weathalert), it takes a handle to the window--but NotifyIcons have their own hidden windows, so passing my window handle didn't work. I failed to realize that's not an issue for you because you're using the picturebox itself rather than its window handle.

Edited by darkmark327

Thanks

Also, i haven't really played around with the Shell_NotifyIcon API's in .net i have used the NotifyIcon component more, so i haven't come across your problem before.

Edit: i hadn't heard of your program before, but i have to say it's mighty nice :yes:

In some cases, the problem was that there was no .net equivalent for the WinExec function (that i know of) if there was this might have been solved a bit quicker.

Edit: I'm going now, i was only supposed to be on the net for 10 mins, that was a hour ago, so ill be back on in a few hours.

Edited by The_Decryptor

Do you know how can I stop the screen saver? I want to be able to replace the screen saver so if the user changes it, he can see the new one. Like in the screensaver tab when you cchange the screen saver. How can I do it?

I'm glad your happy, I'm happy to, it's always good to work out a problem.

Yes you right :laugh: I couldn't have done this without you. Can you answer my other question above? (If your'e not exhosted from the last one :laugh: )

Well, the screen saver should detect for the app's windows to be closed or destroyed, that what happens when the display control panel is closed, so the scr will exit, but in your case (and i think how ms does it) you should check to see if the screen saver is changed, when it is kill the screen saver process, then reload the new screen saver, ill look for code for you to do it, i havent tried it before so i have to idea.

Edit: You're welcome :)

Edited by The_Decryptor

Thank you very much :) I don't know how to stop the screen saver. That's the problem. Hope you can find something. It is not so urgent though.

Edited by yyy

I already have working code, but it's just to general (it could stop alot of programs instead of just the screen saver :no: )

I'm just working on making it better (and faster, the code returns a array, it takes a while to gather (like 2 or 3 seconds))

Ok, i have fully working (and safe hopefully) code, i was having a problem, i was checking for the file name, but windows was returning the path and file name, i fixed that, Also, i have attached the whole program i wrote, not just posted code, i dont know if you have vb installed, if you dont just tell me and i'll put up the code.

ScreenSaver_Shower_Thingy.rar

vb .net is easy to read, it's almost English, it should be easy to read the code, and port it to C#

And thank you, i only ever hear I'm great every few days :D

OK. The_Decryptor's mentioning of not using shell execute set it off for me. I've got it with native .NET code.

Create a class level variable to store the process that you create so you can kill it when you need to. In this case, it's called _currentScr.

// member var
Process _currentScr;

// the code you'd use to load the screensaver
 	 string scrPath;
 	 if( openFileDialog1.ShowDialog(this) == DialogResult.OK )
 	 {
    scrPath = openFileDialog1.FileName;
    if( _currentScr != null )
    {
   	 _currentScr.Kill();
   	 _currentScr = null;
   	 pictureBox1.Invalidate();
    }

ProcessStartInfo psi = new ProcessStartInfo( scrPath, "/p " + pictureBox1.Handle.ToString() );
    psi.UseShellExecute = false;
    _currentScr = Process.Start( psi );
 	 }

Just call _currentScr.Kill() to end the process.

BTW, it's the UseShellExecute = false that makes the difference. It's true by default.

Edited by weenur