CPU Usage at a constant 100% !?!?

okay, this makes no sense at all.. in XP, i ctrl+alt+del to get to the task manager.. then i go to the performance tab only to find that my processor usage is at 100% at ALL times.. it's not spiking up there, just staying there... funny thing is, nothing seems to be affected that i can really tell.. i played a divx from the cd drive and it started to get choppy --that's why i checked the taskmanager... but windows/ie/everything else seems to be running fine... only 32 processes currently running on an athlon xp 1600, 256mb ram.. i don't like seeing my processor usage up so high.. what could it possibly be?

do u use any cpu cooling software like VCool?

those things use an Idle loop which uses all available cpu to keep the cpu cool, but when it needs it it allows the pc to use it again..

it's easy to tell what is running in the background hogging up your cpu. go to the task manager, click on the 'processes' tab, then click on the 'cpu' field and it will show sort out which apps are causing this.

hey, thanks for the tip.. i went over to processes and found coolsrv.exe and killed it just to check.. sure enough it dropped my cpu usage back down to 1% ..

thanks again!

~w

I dont know what it could be but I have a Celeron 666mhz with 768 megs ram. It always idles at 30% cpu usage with nothing but an internet connection and 41 processes. Moving the mouse spikes the cpu usage upto 80% (this high from just moving a mouse?!) and yeah.. weird as hell...

So try closing a few things in ya system tray and see if that makes a diffence, then load things up one by and see if u can find the problem.

btw, seti@home (if u have that running) will make your cpu use alot of resources if you have it set to continusly run.

cheers

:p