Are you Chinese?

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Chinese?

• yes
    • no

Originally posted by Opio

There are very few people even in Japan who know every single kanji (over 2,000) :dead:

True. In fact, most modern kanji - is eminently readable to most people, but with dedicated word-processors popular in the 80's and MS IME (input method editors) and ATOK [sorry, tech speak] it's become a common problem that native Japanese can read but sometimes can't remember how to write the kanji. If you don't write it very often ya forget it:dead:

Anyway there are Kanji dictionaries for that :sleeping: . And I would assume Chinese would have the same types.

I'm Japanese, if you hadn't guessed...

Very true,

Chinese is even worse to have a normal conversation there are about 2000+ characters, however to read a news paper or to understand computer stuff, its like a whole new language.

There are about 45,000 plus characters and most Chinese are in the 5,000 ? 10,000 range.

As for internet access, its pretty much free, there are so many internet cafes its crazy, currently china is the fastest growing market for computers and cell phones. I do believe they have already surpassed the US in cell phone usage and are right there for computer and internet usage too.

Now a day in China if you want something you can pretty much get what ever you want, whether it be internet access, new hardware or just plain old Mc Donald?s you can get it.

Yeah it is, there are lots of Chinese language type such as Cantonese, Hokkien and etc.

The Chinese vocabulary is very sensitive, say if you say a word not according to the pinyen and the tones it will be a different meaning.

chinese living in the silicon valley of california. (nerd town.. san francisco bay area for those that dont know.) there's a LOT of asians here... i go to high school, and i'd say that my school is 60% asian... more than half of those are chinese. lots of computer engineers.

Originally posted by zeezz

chinese living in the silicon valley of california. (nerd town.. san francisco bay area for those that dont know.) there's a LOT of asians here... i go to high school, and i'd say that my school is 60% asian... more than half of those are chinese. lots of computer engineers.

Yes indeed. My high school (in Silicon Valley) was about 40% asian while neighboring high schools were even higher.. Now I live near college and the local high school I see is mostly asian too.

LOTS of asians in Northern California (and Vancouver, I hear, too).

btw zeezz, do you happen to go to Monta Vista or Lynbrook high school? :ponder:

A lot folks in the west still have this sterotype of RED & backward about China. You have go there and see yourself.

From what I was told many Chinese only visit their native Web sites. Any survey from outiside doesn't reflect.... Not too many Chinese and other Asians can read English.

Originally posted by Tamade

Now a day in China if you want something you can pretty much get what ever you want, whether it be internet access, new hardware or just plain old Mc Donald?s you can get it. b>

I don't know how true this is, but I heard that the "Asian" Brain is slightly different to that of "Western" Brains, apparently they are more logical and hence are more adept at programming and stuff.

Living in China for the past few years I have noticed a great increase in the number of Chinese who can read and write enlish. However their spoken english is not as strong as their written. Many of their test are harder than ours, their vocabulary is even better then ours. Which is the same for those trying to learn Chinese.

You ever try to teach a group of college students american slang, it doent work. :p

New private schools are built each day to cater to the high demand for english. More and more students are choosing to study abroad, New Zealand, Canada, Germany, Singapore and Australia.

Theres a great demand for native english speakers and the pay is pretty good. But the experience over weighs that.

• 2 months later...

yeah, i'm chinese. used to live in a small town called langfang, which is about an hour's drive away from beijing. i miss that place. anybody else lived or been to langfang??

Originally posted by ElGato

I don't know how true this is, but I heard that the "Asian" Brain is slightly different to that of "Western" Brains, apparently they are more logical and hence are more adept at programming and stuff.

lol! but my friends who study computer science with me that are good at programming are mostly Australians!

/me isnt chinese

lol! but my friends who study computer science with me that are good at programming are mostly Australians!

no crud sherlock ;) lol jk, your from australia remember, so no suprise dere ;) lol

Well I live in "Hongcouver" and I'm not Chinese, but I was the only tech in my company that would work on computers with Chinese version of MS Windows. :china:

Chinese thought that was amazing a white guy with natural blonde hair would fly through their computer with chinese windows installed.

Also did Japanese & Korean Windows too all same Icons and no I didnt & dont understand chinese or any asian languages.

What really was fun once was a machine with Mac OS 8 in German.

Originally posted by Silvorgold

/me isnt chinese

no crud sherlock ;) lol jk, your from australia remember, so no suprise dere ;) lol

yes i know, but around 50% of the people in the faculty are asians. (mostly overseas students)