Photo

Neowin's List of Free Linux Games

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46 PrimoTurbo

PrimoTurbo

Neowinian

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:46

Some of these are probally listed but anyways.

TREMULOUS (Originally a Quake3 mod but it's now available as a standalone)
http://tremulous.net
Great Alien Vs Marines mod, lot's of fun.

Wolfenstein ET (Everyone knows about this, you will need it for ETF so get it!)
http://www.3dgamers....inet/downloads/

ETF (Teamfortress mod for Wolfenstein ET, used to be for Quake3)
http://www.etfgame.com

I've been playing ETF latley it's too bad the size of the community is so small only a handful of servers left, every evening there are ussually people to play on a server called RailBait. If you like Quake, Teamfortress or TFC then I suggest you check this out. Perhaps the best looking TF mod and also one that is very close to the original, so much fun to play too bad I'm not the best :D

#47 undu

undu

Neowinian

Posted 18 May 2006 - 16:24

Battle for Wesnoth A 2d turn-based strategy game

#48 OP tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 31 October 2006 - 15:18

Frozen Bubble

http://www.frozen-bubble.org/

Frozen Bubble arcade game

Throw colourful bubbles to build groups and destroy the groups. With 1p-game, aim is to destroy all bubbles, with 2p-game, aim is that your opponent dies before you.

Full-featured, colorful animated penguin eyecandy, 100 levels of 1p game, hours and hours of 2p game, a level-editor, 3 professional quality 20-channels musics, 15 stereo sound effects, 7 unique graphical transition effects.

Frozen Bubble v2 was released on October 27th, 2006

• new 1-player game mode: multiplayer training; uses identical game rules as multiplayer, generated malus bubbles are counted as points - what score will you be able to reach in the 2 minutes time frame?
  • network (Internet) game: up to 5 players in a game (net game system has logic able to transparently handle players behind a NAT)
  • LAN game: similar to network game except that no connection to Internet is made, substituted by polling the local network
  • fully revamped graphics, including now 3d-based smooth penguin eyecandy
  • revamped intro and 1p music into fully digital productions
  • full joystick support: just move your joystick(s) or push buttons in the "change keys" dialog (analog joysticks handled as digital for fair play)
  • recording and playback of all games with non-predefined levels (1-player in random and multiplayer training, local 2-player, and network/LAN game with 2 to 5 players)
  • realtime graphical effects in the menu screen (if your computer is fast enough)
  • anti-aliased and localized messages

PS: I'm not a fan of the 3D penguins.

FlightGear Flight Simulator - [Simulator]
http://www.flightgear.org/

The FlightGear flight simulator project is an open-source, multi-platform, cooperative flight simulator development project.

The goal of the FlightGear project is to create a sophisticated flight simulator framework for use in research or academic environments, for the development and pursuit of other interesting flight simulation ideas, and as an end-user application. We are developing a sophisticated, open simulation framework that can be expanded and improved upon by anyone interested in contributing.

Flipping cool.

Edited by tiagosilva29, 31 October 2006 - 15:28.

#49 illicit

illicit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2006 - 19:13

Thanks for the update on Frozen Bubble v2.

That game is pretty fun.

#50 Bio-Overide

Bio-Overide

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2006 - 14:58

whoaw loads of games, im glad to see people are giving out links to games for linux, you are all now my friends lol..

#51 betamaxman

betamaxman

Neowin Official Agitator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:56

How about open arena, open source quake spin off. on line gaming as well.
Open Arena

#52 russellc

russellc

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:06

I'm somewhat surprised nobody mentioned OpenTTD (Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe). A superb game.

#53 Unksi

Unksi

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 July 2007 - 14:31

Regnum Online is a free MMORPG that has both Windows and Linux clients

#54 beejayzed

beejayzed

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:05

Surprised noone mentioned spring.
It was originally created to be a fully 3d version of the excellent Total Annihilation, which it has done very succesfully. The current goal is to create the best RTS ever.
Spring itself is actually an engine. It's the mods, maps and scripting resources that can make full and very different games. At the moment there are several mods based on Total Annihilation, such as XTA and BTA. There are also other mods based on Star Wars and Gundam, as well as many other very unique ones.
The main focus at the moment is multiplayer, but all sorts of clients can be made and are in development for single player skirmishes based on the different mods.
At the moment I'd say this project needs to achieve easier click and play.
Spring engine homepage
Screenshots

#55 Foub

Foub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2007 - 18:52

Any racing games along the lines of Need 4 Speed quality graphics? (I mean like HP2 or even Most Wanted.) Though, I did get Most Wanted to run under WINE, but it wasn't great. The shadows were messed up.

#56 Shiver202

Shiver202

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2007 - 19:03

Wolfenstein ET is fun , but could be a pain to install for those who are new to linux

So here is how to ->link <-

and if you don't get any sound do this
open terminal and type :

sudo killall esd
sudo -i
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
exit
et

---

wormux an alternative to worms
true combat elite an enemy terrotory modifacation

Edited by Shiver202, 14 December 2007 - 19:11.

#57 Foub

Foub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 December 2007 - 18:56

Wolfenstein ET is fun , but could be a pain to install for those who are new to linux

So here is how to ->link <-

and if you don't get any sound do this
open terminal and type :

sudo killall esd
sudo -i
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
exit
et

---

wormux an alternative to worms
true combat elite an enemy terrotory modifacation

Thanks. I didn't have all that much trouble installing it. The instructions were quite straight forward and I didn't have any problems with the sound either. I had an Audigy 2 Value sound card as well.

#58 bsquirle

bsquirle

Neowinian

Posted 16 December 2007 - 21:01

Pingus - Platform
http://pingus.seul.org/

Pingus is a free Lemmings-like game covered under the GNU GPL. It features currently 22 playable levels and runs under a wide variety of operating systems (Linux, Windows, etc.)

#59 Tin Man

Tin Man

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2008 - 23:26

Has anyone mentioned Urbanterror yet? Standalone now and a great multiplayer fps!

http://www.urbanterror.net/news.php

#60 Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Neowinian

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:38

Not sure anyone will care about this anymore, but I thought I would update things a little.

Savage has now become Savage 2 and free, its an rts/rpg/fps game, you find for resources and bases in a series of matches, all meanwhile leveling up your character. Did I mention it looks very impressive?

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can also upgrade your account with one time small payment for additional features.

Nexuiz is an arena type fps. Simple yet has pleasing graphics and nice effects.

Battle for Wesnoth has already been mentioned, but I thought I would reinforce it. I spent quite a while inside this game, it is addictive. Its a turn-based strategy on a tile-based map.

Now I haven't personally tried Penumbra but it looks very impressive and fun. Especially if you enjoy an occasional horror game.

I will update if I can think of anymore games.