"Doom3 can do it too"

appears as though Quake4 is going to be just as disappointing since done on doom3 engine.  :(  The two screenshots released last week look identical to doom3 models and 'plasticy' look.  ....and i was so excited about quake4 last yr

585224882[/snapback]

Because I'm sure in the time it take to develop Quake 4 they won't bother improving on the engine at all. no sir.

Hard headed? lol

impossible to portray large outdoor environments in Doom 3 because of the engines limitations in that department.

Wow... I repeated myself ten times

585253251[/snapback]

:blink: :blush:

Actually, I've been looking into this issue and found that 3D skyboxes aren't really necessary in the D3 engine.? Due to Doom3's ability to render insane amounts of polygons, you can literally make the map extremely large and complex (meaning that instead of using 3D skyboxes like HL2, you can just make a to-scale, playable area or make an unreachable section of the map that serves as a "backdrop") and the engine will render it with little trouble.

See the above screenshots for a few examples... and, of course, check out the D3CDIT project when we're finished.;))

585262614[/snapback]

Outside of the demo video and a few screenshots we have not yet seen a good example of what the D3 engine will do when put to the real test of a full outdoor environment, Even in HL2 large city maps you cannot go into

"every single building"

like was claimed earlier, we will just have to wait and see what comes to pass.

To say Source is a better engine becuase HL2 had more or larger outdoor maps does not realy hold water. DOOM III was an indoor game from the begining

{ GET OVER IT! }

Saying the DOOM III engine cannot do it is like somebody taking pictures at an indoor boxing match and saying their camera cannot take good quality outdoor pictures, becuase they have not done so yet. There was no need in DOOM III to do a large outdoor area, Maybe it can and maybe it cant we will just have to wait and see and in the end what does it matter? Hell I still enjoy some of the older games whos graphics leave a lot to be desired yet they have great gameplay! So in the end they both look great in comparison to those older games and they will both rock if whatever they do with either engine they can produce a great gameplay experience!

I dont buy a game just becuase it has a pretty landscape or great lighting, The largest gameplay maps I've seen are on some of the older games like Operation Flashpoint they were huge yet they did not impress me

" LOL size does not matter "

What does matter is quality of gameplay, Puzzles, AI's, and finally quality of mapping, textures, and lighting, for a real good game you need it to be a total package not just the looks or the size of the maps.

PS HL2 0wnZed M3! :yes::

Edited by [SST]SLAYER

I'm not going to bash any engine.. they are all good at what they are intended for.

But I am going to say... the Unreal 3 Engine will own them all when it becomes available. It has some of the most amazing features I have ever seen in a game engine. But I have no idea of its scalability.

I like a game engine based on how I feel as a player within it.. if that makes sense, and to me, I feel much more free and expressive as a player with regards to my motion and interactivity in Source than I do in the Doom 3 engine.

I was expecting a little more when I downloaded the video. Unfortunately, it cannot be compared to HL2 *yet*. Hopefully they improve on it, as Doom 3 was a great experience overall and the engine should have the power to "do it too".

uhhhh d3 can do it too? do what? look like the ORIGINAL halflife with day and night effects? the fact of the matter D3 CANT do it to.... d3 CANNOT! render the same world effects and still look good, and play good. the engine is programmed too poorly

uhhhh d3 can do it too? do what? look like the ORIGINAL halflife with day and night effects? the fact of the matter D3 CANT do it to.... d3 CANNOT! render the same world effects and still look good, and play good. the engine is programmed too poorly

585268435[/snapback]

:angry:

Time will tell stay tuned

People keep saying that the HL2 engine is superior because they liked HL2 the game better than Doom3.  Well, so did I, but that's a silly comparison.  I liked Call of Duty better than I liked HL2, so does that mean that the Quake3 engine is better than Source?  No, of course not.  These are two different things completely, gameplay and engine.

Now, all the things that people find amazing in Source can be done in the Doom3.  For example, I am sure that all the extra facial animation algorithms could be imported into the Doom3 engine and animate the characters.  Valve took the extra time to implement them, id decided to only implement minimal facial animation because it was enough for their game, not because it was not possible.

As far as looks go, it is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact.  Personally, I think that the Doom3 graphics look way better than HL2's.  But again, this is just an opinion, not a fact.  An opinion does not make one engine better than the other ? facts do.  This thread has presented facts and evidence that the Doom3 engine can do it too, and much better at times.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Source is a great engine too, but the only thing that makes it more appealing is that it is more "user friendly", so modders can produce results faster.

As a whole, I think that the days of licensing engines are starting to go away.  More and more companies are building their own engines these days.  For example, games like Riddick, F.E.A.R, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc.  So I suppose that in the end, all these arguments about engines are pretty pointless.

585266973[/snapback]

Good point. I agree:p:p

The game doesn't dictate how good the engine is...

BUT

You have to admit, that the Source engine has capabilities like 3D Skyboxes to make large looking cities run on a crappy computer on todays hardware. Doom 3, wasn't made to do that. Maybe some 5000000 polygon cities in 10 years, but not today. It was meant to make little confined rooms in Doom 3 and make it run on hardware today.

Thought you guys might like to take a look at a mod called Edge of Chaos, a Hexen-style mod for the D3 engine.  They just released a rather nice video showcasing a bit of it.

Official site:

http://edgeofchaos.ontheweb.nl/

Vid:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/9605/

Mirror (might be broken)

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetd...edgeofchaos.avi

Goliath

585269036[/snapback]

The slowdown when the crates exploded at the beginning was not good at all, and the 'big, outdoor environments' was nothing amazing although the lantern and water have been crafted well indeed!

Thought you guys might like to take a look at a mod called Edge of Chaos, a Hexen-style mod for the D3 engine.  They just released a rather nice video showcasing a bit of it.

Official site:

http://edgeofchaos.ontheweb.nl/

Vid:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/9605/

Goliath

585269036[/snapback]

Wow! Nice find!

Well, this video just about pwns every D3 nay-sayer in this thread.

Wow!  Nice find!

Well, this video just about pwns every D3 nay-sayer in this thread.

585269283[/snapback]

Not really :/

I can tell the few skips/choppy parts in the beginning of that Edge of Chaos video (like when the barrels explode) are video-capture related. I've done enough vid-caps of games to spot those kinds of things. And judging from the various screenshots showing the in-game FPS and the smooth rendering of the rest of the video, I'd say everything in-game would be very smooth (roughly an average of 50 FPS from the shots I've seen). You'd need to ask someone on the mod team to be sure, though.

And who knows how optimized their stuff is at this point.... All I know is, it looks pretty sweet to me. Can't wait to see more of it.

G

I can tell the few skips/choppy parts in the beginning of that Edge of Chaos video (like when the barrels explode) are video-capture related.  I've done enough vid-caps of games to spot those kinds of things.  And judging from the various screenshots showing the in-game FPS and the smooth rendering of the rest of the video, I'd say everything in-game would be very smooth (roughly an average of 50 FPS from the shots I've seen).  You'd need to ask someone on the mod team to be sure, though.

And who knows how optimized their stuff is at this point....  All I know is, it looks pretty sweet to me.  Can't wait to see more of it.

G

585270125[/snapback]

Right.

Although definately still has the dark Doom sort of feeling to it, not a Half Life 2 experience either.

Right.

Although definately still has the dark Doom sort of feeling to it, not a Half Life 2 experience either.

585270135[/snapback]

The map was designed that way. You can make it as bright as you like. Again, not an engine limitation.

I meant dark as in it still has Dooms characteristics. Do you have to pick at everything I say? lol It's almost like you work for iD or something hah :p

It's Hexen.. What do you expect?  A tropical beach?

585270181[/snapback]

I never said I expected anything. I know that it's Hexen. I said that "it had the dark Doom sort of feeling to it, not a Half Life 2 experience". Meaning, exactly what it says. Facts. I haven't seen anything of the Doom 3 engine that looked like Half Life 2 yet. Sooooo I'm just backing up my claim that they are two unique engines that can't mimic each other.

Is that being biased... noooo because it applies to both, and I loooovvveee both. :shifty:

Right.

585270135[/snapback]

Hexen is supposed to be dark you must not have played the original!

the original Hexen was almost as dark as doom if not darker and gloomier I'm glad whoever is making it kept it to the way it should be and not try to make it a HL2 experience that would have been retarded :o

I don't understand how people without any knowledge can affirm that Doom 3 Engine can't do "City-like" open bright environments, or that the engine sucks on a technical level; It's ok to express your opinions about the gameplay or that you like or dislike doom3 (the game not the engine) "darkish" environment, It's even ok to say Doom3 sucks based on your personal opinion about the game, but saying the engine sucks just because you didn't like the game is just lame, the same goes to people bashing the Source engine or Steam without knowledge.

I didn?t enjoy HL2 as much as I Enjoyed Doom3 In fact Doom3 ran with far better detail on my system than HL2 and without the stutter problems that needed patching, doom3 just played, but I know that it doesn't mean that all source games will stutter, it also doesn?t mean that I will dislike all source games and I will love all Doom3 engine games.