Fighting a Speedy Ticket!?

There is a a way to get around paying any speeding tickets in Canada at all. A lot of my friends have done it, but I haven't because I think it's somewhat unlawful. But they told me it works.

Basically you have a period before you have to pay. Book or goto the courts on the last day or near it. But not on a day like Friday or near a holdiay. Basically plead for the ticket. If the cop doesn't show, he can't plead his part, therefore you don't pay anything or might get a reduction. But be warned, if he does show, you're screwed.

Good luck. I'm not resposible for your actions as a result of what I've said. ;)

I don't know what Canada's policy but here in the U.S you have to pay the ticket before you can challenge it. Its an awesome policy. Then you go to court where you don't stand a fighting chance pleading your case before the judge.

If you were going that fast, just take it, you know you were doing some reckless driving. You can try fighting it, but its an uphill battle.

585224125[/snapback]

What the hell are you talking about? I uesed to live in Cali and I don't remember it that way...

My state and every other one I know is this: Please guilty and pay fine, Challenge it in court and you don't pay until you are proven guilty.

There is nothing to argue.

From what i read...

Legally there is an "Actus Reus" - in otherwords.. the action was done.

Legally there was a "Mens Rea" - You intended to do the act

You were being criminally negligent.

You were being criminally reckless.

There just isn't anything to aruge  :wacko:

585224353[/snapback]

I call BS.

Yes the action was done, mabye the act was intended (I have sped up slowly without realizing it).

But If he was being criminally negligent and reckless then wh was he not charged with crimin neglgence and reckless driving?

He was simply speeding in a more than reasonable situation the cop writing you the ticket probably knew it was BS but they gotta write tickets cause the govenment has gotta get paid. This whole system is fraudulent.

There is a a way to get around paying any speeding tickets in Canada at all. A lot of my friends have done it, but I haven't because I think it's somewhat unlawful. But they told me it works.

Basically you have a period before you have to pay. Book or goto the courts on the last day or near it. But not on a day like Friday or near a holdiay. Basically plead for the ticket. If the cop doesn't show, he can't plead his part, therefore you don't pay anything or might get a reduction. But be warned, if he does show, you're screwed.

Good luck. I'm not resposible for your actions as a result of what I've said. ;)

585224367[/snapback]

No, I don't want to challenge the officer b/c I have no case. I was speeding..plain ans simple! I won't win! I just want to have a chance to explain myself!

585224367[/snapback]

This isnt unlawful. Its just hoping to be lucky. BUt you cannot set your court date. you can try to change it but nvr the less you an get screwed easily.

There is nothing to argue.

From what i read...

Legally there is an "Actus Reus" - in otherwords.. the action was done.

Legally there was a "Mens Rea" - You intended to do the act

You were being criminally negligent.

You were being criminally reckless.

There just isn't anything to aruge  :wacko:

585224353[/snapback]

Criminally negligent would be 25km over in a residential area or somethin similar. Not 25 over on a deserted, flat highway!

How did they catch you speeding? Was it radar, laser, camera?

585224389[/snapback]

I dont know! The cop was coming towards me. I didnt' see him until he flashed his lights and pulled a u-turn in the middle of the highway (if you ask me, thats more dangerous than what I was doing)

It was prolly a radar gun in the car!

You should buy a faster car and just out run the cops.

585224432[/snapback]

That would have definitely been a heck of a lot more fun! :ninja:

So good luck to all you "perfect drivers"! And if you ever get a ticket, I walk you to walk in pay the entire fine, pay your tution the next day, pay your insurance a month later, then tell me how easy it is to "Suck it up man!"

Yeah, but the difference between them and you is that you got caught. Also, since when has crime in numbers meant that it is acceptable?

Speeding is not a crime it is an infractions

Stop putting forward technicalities - renaming it doesn't make it any less serious.

He was simply speeding in a more than reasonable situation

You can't distinguish whether it is reasonable, that is why they impose the speed limits - the speed limits are there so there is no doubt as to whether it is "reasonable": anything above the limit is unreasonable.

Laws are in place not to limit your personal liberties, but to protect others'. If you disagree with any law then you should try to get it changed, not ignore it.

I've sped, got pulled over, no ticket because it wasn't much and it was my first offense...

Going 30 in a 25... up a hill, so I gave it some more uumph...

Except on the highway, I do not speed. And when I do speed, the speed limit is 65mph, and I only speed inside the passing lane, which is obvious because you must speed up to pass someone. I just don't want a ticket, and I don't feel sorry if you did speed so you could catch your dinner.

What about being at a red light, nobody on any other side, you went through it and a cop did see you and pulled you over. Would you fight that one too? Is waiting an additional 30 seconds at this light going to wreck your plans?

I've sped, got pulled over, no ticket because it wasn't much and it was my first offense...

Except on the highway, I do not speed. And when I do speed, the speed limit is 65mph, and I only speed inside the passing lane, which is obvious because you must speed up to pass someone. I just don't want a ticket, and I don't feel sorry if you did speed so you could catch your dinner.

What about being at a red light, nobody on any other side, you went through it and a cop did see you and pulled you over. Would you fight that one too? Is waiting an additional 30 seconds at this light going to wreck your plans?

585224468[/snapback]

You contradict yourself, 1st you say you don't speed, then you say when you do speed its only in a the passing lane because you must speed up to pass someone. Why must you exceed the speed limit to pass someone. If it going to take you over the limit, don't do it.

The above is what I originally posted, then I re-read the post you made, so disregard some of the post (the contradicting part)

...Also, since when has crime in numbers meant that it is acceptable?

585224465[/snapback]

When did I ever say what I did, (or what the general population does) is ok? I have stated over and over again that: I SPED, I GOT CAUGHT, I WILL NOT TRY TO FIGHT AGAINST THE INFRACTION, I WILL PAY THE FINE!!

Ever heard of Parole for good behaviour? Correct me if im wrong, but one of the most notorius female murderers of our time is going to be released soon because she struck a deal with the courts!

My deal is: I WILL NOT SPEED AGAIN IF YOU CAN CUT MY FINE DOWN A LITTLE! YES I WILL STILL SERVE TIME (points and a partial fine) BUT THE JUSTICE OF THE PEACE WILL SHOW ME SOME MERCY (Im hoping)

When did I ever say what I did, (or what the general population does) is ok?  I have stated over and over again that: I SPED, I GOT CAUGHT, I WILL NOT TRY TO FIGHT AGAINST THE INFRACTION,  I WILL PAY THE FINE!!

Ever heard of Parole for good behaviour?  Correct me if im wrong, but one of the most notorius female murderers of our time is going to be released soon because she struck a deal with the courts!

My deal is: I WILL NOT SPEED AGAIN IF YOU CAN CUT MY FINE DOWN A LITTLE!  YES I WILL STILL SERVE TIME (points and a partial fine) BUT THE JUSTICE OF THE PEACE WILL SHOW ME SOME MERCY (Im hoping)

585224525[/snapback]

So if you got caught again, would you be willing to pay the new fine plus the amount of reduction from this fine?

uhh. Call Xcopper (in ontario) they find loopholes in the reasoning, and then they fight it and if you dont win, thell pay the ticket and not cahrge you. If you win, you just pay them.

You contradict yourself, 1st you say you don't speed, then you say when you do speed its only in a the passing lane because you must speed up to pass someone.  Why must you exceed the speed limit to pass someone.  If it going to take you over the limit, don't do it.

585224507[/snapback]

After re-reading, I do seem to contradict myself...

I have sped before, and since then I have not knowingly sped anywhere there is a posted speed limit. Around here, there are a lot of county roads that do not have posted speed limits, and the general speed is 55MPH. I usually travel about 45, because these roads aren't really in the best condition, and are sometimes only big enough for one car. Around turns and things, I usually slow it to 25, just to be safe. It's always look out the window and look at the speedometer and repeat. I just don't want one, and I probably couldn't afford the consequences.

Speeding on the highway, well, like I have said, it's 65MPH around here (75 in West Virginia, no need to speed there :p) and I'm almost always in the right lane, usually trailing people. Sometimes you do get behind the people going 55-60 when it is 65, alot of the time it's usually the big semi/18-wheelers because they have to go slower, so I pick it up to give more momentum, but I never, ever, go past 70. After that, cops will get you. Because of the fluctuations in speed... you may look at your speedometer and say, "oh, I'm just a bit above 65" but you may be more around 67-68 or so. Until my car has a digital speedometer, I give myself a +/- 3mph "safe zone", which I am sure the law enforcement will not deem as a hazard.

I see where you're coming from, but when your friends all say that you're the safest driver that they've probably ever driven with... I take it that alot more people my age are completely reckless, and I've driven with a few of these people wondering if I'll make it home. :unsure:

Everyone needs digital speedometers IMO... would definitely make it easier for me to lock in cruise control at the exact speed limit, to prevent going over or under.

585224468[/snapback]

You're a moron! There's quite an elevated degree of seriousness between speeding a little on a highway and running a redlight!

Best way to fight a ticket is to know the law. Not sure if Canada is the same but most states HAVE to conduct surveys on every road every few years. These are public record, meaning look it up. If one hasn't been done on the road you got your ticket the ticket is invalid and the state has to refund all the ticket money to all the various people. Also make the cop earn the ticket, fight every single ticket you get. Sometimes cops just won't show and in that case you've beaten it.

Remember if a cop writes something on the back of the ticket like a brief description(most do) and then they read from that in court, they can only read from the ticket, Verbatim. Meaning if they wrote "suspect doing 15 mph over spd lmt" they have to read it that way they can't read lmt as limit they have to say l-m-t. At the very least it makes them look stupid. Also make sure they're certified to use the radar gun and get that guns maintenance records. Most guns have to be serviced every week and tons aren't. Worse comes to worse have the officer describe his training sessions with the gun and ask them odd questions like who was sitting next to them. If they can't answer that how can we know they learned anything?

also you'll rarely be given a ticket for doing 9mph over the limit, this is because most radar guns aren't acurate within 9mph.

So if you got caught again, would you be willing to pay the new fine plus the amount of reduction from this fine?

585224545[/snapback]

Its been 5 years since I got a ticket, and it'll be 50 more before I get another one, so sure, I'll pay whatever they want next time!

Anyways, I think this has gone on long enough. There are obviously quite different perspectives on the subject and its getting pointless for people to fight it out on a message board, therefore..."I propose a duel at sunset" lol

Im just going to go tomorrow and corss my fingers that I get the fine knocked down a little. If I don't oh well, $120 is easily do-able, it could be a lot worse!

Thanks for all the...non help... with what to say tomorrow!

~OUT~

You're a moron!  There's quite an elevated degree of seriousness between speeding a little on a highway and running a redlight!

585224573[/snapback]

Maybe where you live, but even on our main street, there are some red light intersections where you cannot clearly see too far back for oncoming vehicles if you were just driving along.

And thanks for calling me a moron, but last time I checked you were the one with the ticket. :rolleyes:

@bling3k12 - There is a contradiction, but I read more into it than was there.

Anyway slightly O/T I was once a pillion passenger on a motorbike and was doing about 90mph on a 60 road, slowed down a bit to go round a roundabout, then got pulled. My mate said that we were on our way to a funeral (old excuse, but the truth on this occasion), and that his speedo only said 80. Also said that he already had 9 points and any more would loose him his license, so he didn't go to fast to lessen the chance of being pulled. The (very nice :D ) police man let us on our way. To which my mate roared off down the road nearly loosing me off the back of the bike.

There's quite an elevated degree of seriousness between speeding a little on a highway and running a redlight!

What happens if you only run a redlight a little? :rolleyes: