Photo

[HOW TO] Get back your Windows XP Bootloader

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 DjmUK

DjmUK

TheDon

Posted 24 April 2005 - 18:35

fdisk /mbr does not work for me. I've even ran a search on my XP box for 'fdisk'...and it's not on here.

Is there a way that actually works? shall I try the 'fixmbr' command and see if that works - because I really don't wanna' mess up my system.

#17 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:29

fdisk /mbr does not work for me. I've even ran a search on my XP box for 'fdisk'...and it's not on here.

Is there a way that actually works? shall I try the 'fixmbr' command and see if that works - because I really don't wanna' mess up my system.

View Post

I have always used fdisk /mbr, but I pretty much stopped using Windows right about the start of the XP days, so I can't say for sure which command is supported in XP. Both are equivalent commands, so they are both safe (and set the MBR back to the MS default)

#18 dj6ross

dj6ross

"Stormy"

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:43

fixmbr worked great. Thanks for the info.

#19 mikey1001

mikey1001

Canuck

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:50

I have always used fdisk /mbr, but I pretty much stopped using Windows right about the start of the XP days, so I can't say for sure which command is supported in XP.  Both are equivalent commands, so they are both safe (and set the MBR back to the MS default)

View Post

If you have MS Windows 95/98/ME installed, click on Start >> Run. Type in "command", without the quotes, and press Enter. At the command prompt, type in the command "fdisk /mbr" to reinstall the Windows bootloader into the MBR.
If you have MS Windows 2000/XP installed, you will need to have the Windows Installation CD. Insert the Installation CD into your CD-ROM drive and reboot your computer. When Windows Setup loads up, follow the onscreen instructions to open the Recovery Console. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type in the command "fixmbr" to reinstall the Windows bootloader into the MBR.

Slight difference in the OS's.

#20 dmdsoftware

dmdsoftware

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:40

Ok folks.

Fixmbr and fixboot are not working for me. It says it has revised the boot sector etc, but when I restart the computer it still says the hard drive is not bootable. Tried from the Windows XP CD. The options are limited - it won't let you run anything but what is listed under help (so, no fdisk, sys, etc).

I'm getting very frustrated. I tried reinstalling XP, but it simply copies files over to the HD, resets the computer and then tries to boot from the hard drive (which it cannot do).

I'm lost for a solution.

#21 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Posted 29 April 2005 - 14:41

Ok folks.

Fixmbr and fixboot are not working for me.  It says it has revised the boot sector etc, but when I restart the computer it still says the hard drive is not bootable.  Tried from the Windows XP CD.  The options are limited - it won't let you run anything but what is listed under help (so, no fdisk, sys, etc).

I'm getting very frustrated.  I tried reinstalling XP, but it simply copies files over to the HD, resets the computer and then tries to boot from the hard drive (which it cannot do).

I'm lost for a solution.

View Post

I am not sure why your XP is refusing to boot. Really, all that needs to be done is get Windows to restore the MBR and you are done.

What I would recommend at thsi point (you did try a Win98 boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ right?) is that you back up whatever data you can - use a Knoppix LiveCD if you must to get access to your data. Then fdisk and remove all partitions and reinstall XP completely from scratch. You may have some bad data in your partition table that prevents it from accessing the correct Microsoft data outside the MBR.

#22 diamonds

diamonds

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:14

The easiest way to fix this problem (I know, ive had to do it quite a few times) is to go on and start the installion, and format the drive. THEN go into the recovery console and in this order type fixmbr then fixboot and reinstall windows. I have not yet figured out how to keep windows on a seperate partition and have it still boot

#23 PsychCom

PsychCom

Uncle Death

Posted 09 August 2005 - 13:05

I am not sure why your XP is refusing to boot.  Really, all that needs to be done is get Windows to restore the MBR and you are done.

What I would recommend at thsi point (you did try a Win98 boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ right?) is that you back up whatever data you can - use a Knoppix LiveCD if you must to get access to your data.  Then fdisk and remove all partitions and reinstall XP completely from scratch.  You may have some bad data in your partition table that prevents it from accessing the correct Microsoft data outside the MBR.

View Post

dont need to start fdisk. just use the windows xp or 2000 cd and format there then reboot.

about people not getting this to work. not taking you all for stupid or anything like that, i would say check if the error says ntloader missing, if so you have to copy it from the xp cd. that is a whole other operation i dont have at hand rigth now. *there work houres are done, driving home*

#24 _I am Reptar

_I am Reptar

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 August 2005 - 13:06

In the past i've done:

Boot from xp cd
Recovery Console
fixmbr
fixboot

restart, back to windows :D

#25 protoss_chaos

protoss_chaos

Munch! Munch!

Posted 09 August 2005 - 13:06

If for some reason you find the need to get back to your Windows XP bootloader instead of the one installed by your Linux distro, simply follow these instructions:

1.  Boot up with your Windows XP disc.

2.  Select the option Recovery Console.

3.  At the prompt, type "fixmbr" (without the quotes of course)

4.  Restart your computer.

View Post

Better hope u only have on partition, or you will trash them all (well, they will exist, but u won't be able to boot them)!!! You should warn people ahead of tyme....

#26 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Posted 09 August 2005 - 13:53

fixmbr does not trash your partitions. It just returns the Microsoft boot loader to the Master Boot Record. Microsoft cannot (will not?) see the Linux partitions, but they exist and can be used or removed, at the user's discretion.

You can re-install GRUB (or LILO) to re-allow mutli-boot, or you can set up your NT boot loader to do the same thing.

#27 Old5chool

Old5chool

Titan

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:13

I like using the windows 98/me boot discs the best.

View Post

www.bootdisk.com :)

#28 mincho

mincho

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:35

very very thanks to you........................................

there is lot of formulas to remove linux and bring back the xp boot loader but easiest way is posted in first post of this thread and that way is also secure.......

thanks

#29 dan diemer

dan diemer

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2005 - 17:36

Thanks a ton, worked well for me.

#30 Catharsis

Catharsis

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Posted 10 April 2006 - 22:43

Hmm, that must be if you've installed Linux in a VERY specific way, because now I can't boot into either OS. Wonderful.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!