double clicking when i click once.

I thought it was something i did in x-teq but i comlbed every setting....

My mouse double clicks for me. Sometimes it does not. It happens fast when it does... Such as, if i click the minimize button, it beats me to it and brings the window back up. In outlook, if i select the delete button it deletes two emails instead of one. Selecting text is a pain.

Its only a two week old install. USB mouse. MS driver... All i do know is i want to grip the cord of the mouse and smash it on my desk until the glowing red light dims.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problems. I have yet to get it resolved.

Here is my System:

Soyo K7V - Dragon Plus! Motherboard

AMD Athlon 1600+

1 GB RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

PNY GeForce FX 5200 128 MB RAM

1 FDD.

1 80 Gig HDD

Adaptec AHA-2920 SCSI Card with external Jaz 2

MS Ergonomic PS/2 Keyboard

USB Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

USB Zip 250

HP DVD+\-RW

Windows 2000 Professional SP4 with the latest updates.

All hardware is using the latest drivers.

In device manager I do not have any unknown or conflicting devices.

I turned off all graphics hardware acceleration.

This problem has me baffled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Currently using a wireless intellimouse and using the intellimouse 5 software.

There's options to change what all the buttons do and it can be easily set so the left mouse button double clicks for you. Go into mouse properties and check that out :)

Currently using a wireless intellimouse and using the intellimouse 5 software.

There's options to change what all the buttons do and it can be easily set so the left mouse button double clicks for you. Go into mouse properties and check that out :)

586098604[/snapback]

It is set to just a single click. One interesting thing is that I can not switch the buttons. The left button still performs as a left button and the right button still has the normal functions of the right button.

• 2 months later...
I thought it was something i did in x-teq but i comlbed every setting....

My mouse double clicks for me.  Sometimes it does not.  It happens fast when it does... Such as, if i click the minimize button, it beats me to it and brings the window back up.  In outlook, if i select the delete button it deletes two emails instead of one.  Selecting text is a pain.

Its only a two week old install.  USB mouse.  MS driver...  All i do know is i want to grip the cord of the mouse and smash it on my desk until the glowing red light dims.

585628875[/snapback]

I had the same problem. After a week or so of searching I found a utility called Mousefix written by one Daniel Jackson. Quote from the site:

"This is a small utility program I wrote to correct a problem that is experienced by some users of the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical Mouse, whose devices have defective microswitches under the buttons causing a single-click to be seen by Windows as a double-click (seemingly not "debounced" properly).

For my mouse, the problem seems to be that the switch isn't "debounced" when you release the button ? i.e. when you release it, it actually clicks again. Basically, the program intercepts "up" events for the left mouse button, and ignores any subsequent "up" events that follow within a very small time."i>

go check it out, it fixed my double-click problem and allowed me to continue using my defective mouse with NO apparent side effects.

http://www.danieljackson.co.uk/fun/old/

happened for me, i got some packard bell optical, happened ages, it was annoying in CnC G/G ZH as it would select all troops of same kind rather than that unit. but it just stopped doing it recently. lol. weird, i just kept unplugging it and plugging it in, like every day. and it worked.

Had this happen to me just last week.

In my case it was the USB port I had my wireless mouse receiver plugged in to. This particular port was not getting enough juice. It was a connector on my keyboard.

When I plugged it into a USB port at the back of my machine it fixed the problem.

• 4 years later...

I had the same problem. After a week or so of searching I found a utility called Mousefix written by one Daniel Jackson. Quote from the site:

"This is a small utility program I wrote to correct a problem that is experienced by some users of the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical Mouse, whose devices have defective microswitches under the buttons causing a single-click to be seen by Windows as a double-click (seemingly not "debounced" properly).

For my mouse, the problem seems to be that the switch isn't "debounced" when you release the button — i.e. when you release it, it actually clicks again. Basically, the program intercepts "up" events for the left mouse button, and ignores any subsequent "up" events that follow within a very small time."i>

go check it out, it fixed my double-click problem and allowed me to continue using my defective mouse with NO apparent side effects.

http://www.danieljackson.co.uk/fun/old/

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I have been having this problem for months now (maybe longer, lost track). It used to not be such a problem, but it's gotten worse and now it's at the point where if I want to highlight text I have to drag the cursor 3 times before it will "stick" (strangely, it is almost always exactly 3 tries before it stops "clicking down" when I release the cursor drag).

I ran the .exe from that site and I can already tell that it has been fixed.

BTW, yes I am using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. This problem has been really annoying me because I really love my mouse besides this "phantom click" problem. My first optical mouse ever was a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 (probably got it 6-10 years ago at this point), and I recently (about a year ago) replaced it with a new Intellimouse from Newegg that looks and functions (or at least I thought so) the same as the original mouse.

Again, THANK YOU so much for finding that site for me!!!!!

the fact that you only experience this randomly sometimes gives it away as a hardware problem...?

mousefix is a software compensation for the problem, but if you try to drag something around does it sort of let go on its own?

by the way, this topic's title reminds me of

• 4 weeks later...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I have been having this problem for months now (maybe longer, lost track). It used to not be such a problem, but it's gotten worse and now it's at the point where if I want to highlight text I have to drag the cursor 3 times before it will "stick" (strangely, it is almost always exactly 3 tries before it stops "clicking down" when I release the cursor drag).

I ran the .exe from that site and I can already tell that it has been fixed.

BTW, yes I am using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. This problem has been really annoying me because I really love my mouse besides this "phantom click" problem. My first optical mouse ever was a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 (probably got it 6-10 years ago at this point), and I recently (about a year ago) replaced it with a new Intellimouse from Newegg that looks and functions (or at least I thought so) the same as the original mouse.

Again, THANK YOU so much for finding that site for me!!!!!

I can confirm that the Daniel Jackson MouseFix utility also successfully debounces a misbehaving Logitech Bluetooth mouse. After using my mouse for about 2 years (heavy continuous use all day long every day at work), it started issuing spurious doubleclick events when the left button was depressed. Now running MouseFix for the last 20 minutes, not a single spurious doubleclick. (I do seem to get a stray undetected mouseclick once in a while, but I think I'll be able to adapt to that.) Using XP SP2 with the 7/1/2001 "HID-compliant mouse" driver from Microsoft (5.1.2600.0).

So check out this utility, before giving your old worn out mouse the heave-ho.

Cheers,

Aaron

• 4 months later...

MouseFix is also working on Windows 7 x64 as well. I wish I had found this years ago as I am on my third mouse. I love the way they worked so much, I would always buy another when one started having this problem.

• 2 months later...

the worst of all of this is that it happens not only with cheap mouses... i get this problem after using a mouse for about 3 months normaly... i remember changing 3 mouses in a year until one day i tought buying a good mouse would solve my problem... the thing is i bought a razor 80? mouse and it lasted like 1year and a half so i don't bother anymore with it... just get cheap mouse as long as they work it's ok... it's hardware. even when the pointer sometimes moves alone it's most of the time hardware but can be software too or if wireless it can be do to the batterys of even the distance between the wireless transmitter and the mouse or when optical mouse the surface can be tricky too. but it's boring for sure when it double click when it shoudn't or when trying to select text it won't select all the text... i just think its weird it's happens that much with me... i already had microsoft, logitech, genius and razor mouses... do they share the same hardware or what? the best ones seems to be logitech tought.

• 1 year later...

For my mouse, the problem seems to be that the switch isn't "debounced" when you release the button ? i.e. when you release it, it actually clicks again. Basically, the program intercepts "up" events for the left mouse button, and ignores any subsequent "up" events that follow within a very small time."i>

http://www.danieljac....co.uk/fun/old/

thanks it works ! i'm using win7 and the problem disappear