Context menu clean up / restore

Ok this is really easy

I will assume ur using XP, it might work for 98/ME/NT

*Click the Start button and select Run from the menu.

*Type regedit in the Open box.

*The first tree in the registry is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - click the + to the left of it.

The first entry in the list is *. Click the + to the left of this also.

Do this again, for the submenu, shellex and ContextMenuHandlers.

Now you can manually adjust the settings in the right-side box.

Leave the {09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936} where it is.

If for example you want to remove a programs shell extension from the right-click menu, you can delete the entries accordingly.

eg. an anti-virus extension is usually "Scan with" and some media players "Add to Playlist" for audio files.

Some but not all apps allow you to manually disable it's assosiations with the right-click menu, Acronis Privacy Expert for instance, and Winamp.

Once you've deleted all "unnecessary" entries it will look something like:

file.pngfolder.png

File ------------------------------------ Folder

See also: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html - this program can clean up the menu quicker and is good for windows-based built in extensions,("Send To", "Search")but not all third-party apps are listed, and have to be found and deleted the above way which takes five mins

If you have broken extensions in the menu, ie. slowdowns, or corrupted text, filepaths, when right clicking on a certain file, or all, doing this is good, clean it up first doing the above, then rebuild it through File Types accordingly-- My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types

Cheers... :no: :x

Wow, almost every file I tried to download from the site gave a virus warning from Nod32. I read a statement on the site stating NAV would report false positives for trojans.

I think I would use these utilities with caution......

• 2 weeks later...