Install recovery console without the Windows XP CD

This seemed like a guide

Attention all WinXP users who didn't get an XP install CD with their computer.

I have discovered how you can install the XP Recovery Console without the Windows XP CD. As far as I know, this has not been done, and if it has, it has not been spread around the internet enough for people to know about it.

In many computers, there is an i386 directory in the WINDOWS directory on their WinXP partition. This folder is I think identical to the i386 dir on the cd. As a result, the command D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons, which is used to install the recovery console off the CD, can simply become C:\WINDOWS\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons for the rest of us.

So, if you don't have access to a Windows XP CD and don't want to use an rc.iso, or if it doesn't work, instead, open the RUN dialog (windows key + r) and type:

%windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

On a side note, I got a message that said something about not being able to upgrade before the installation started, I clicked OK and everything worked fine.

Edited by simeandrews

I hadn't seen this written up anywhere before, so I thought it should be let out.

And sorry about the uppercase title, I was really excited. Could a moderator change it back please?

Since we *are* talking about XP, why not use %windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons - it would make it universal, regardless where someone installed the files, then.

Since we *are* talking about XP, why not use %windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons - it would make it universal, regardless where someone installed the files, then.

586605903[/snapback]

Done!

attention9ha.gif

586606355[/snapback]

Who exactly was that directed at? Me, or everyone else?

why can't I find the i386 directory?

586607102[/snapback]

Not all computers have it. Also, I don't think it's always in the windows dir. Try searching (yes I know its slow) for i386, on the whole hard drive. It might just be c:\i386, but it might be in a crazy place.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have the cmdcons file either on my Windows XP Professional disk or on any of my hard drives. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy so I can use the Recovery Console?

i dont think that cmdcons is a file. i believe it is a command line command if u look at the following:

%windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

u are executing the winnt32.exe file with a command line switch of /cmdcons. i think that is right or i might just be talking smack. not completely sure.

• 2 weeks later...

This seemed really obvious, but I spent months finding a way to install the recovery console. I found the similaruty between the two i386 folders on the CD and hard drive, and thought it was worth a try.

Who exactly was that directed at? Me, or everyone else?

586608812[/snapback]

Everyone else - sorry for such a late reply - I come here once in a blue moon.

EDIT: Added the following

besides, I gave ya a 5 rating :D

Edited by johngalt

• 2 years later...

It's wierd you bumped this, I just used it and it worked for me.

Now getting linux off my windows system wont be such a bitch.

Thanks for the tip, even if you gave it 2 years ago.

• 9 months later...
It's wierd you bumped this, I just used it and it worked for me.

Now getting linux off my windows system wont be such a bitch.

Thanks for the tip, even if you gave it 2 years ago.

Thanks for the info here guys.. but one quicky here..

I have still not found any "simple" or comprehensive way of making a bootable image (iso) to use the XP Recovery console through a CD.. like for startup.. and yea.. i dont want to use "rc.iso"

Can anybody help me with that..???

Help appreciated.

Cheers,

Jas.