why do americans call it gas?

Just for general info, gas in Russian is pronounced and called "Benzin" which clearly relates to Benzene... So as many said before me, to each their own...

I've always wondered why here in Canada we park on driveways and drive on parkways  :unsure:

586596069[/snapback]

i dunno about the driveway bit but parkways is highway right?.. i call it highway... i dont think ive met a person that said "go on the parkway...."

acutally the DVP just came to mind but i still call that a highway... and just assume highway is somewhere in there... odd.. now thats gonna bother me like the stupid fedex arrow.. dammit...

i dunno about the driveway bit but parkways is highway right?.. i call it highway... i dont think ive met a person that said "go on the parkway...."

acutally the DVP just came to mind but i still call that a highway... and just assume highway is somewhere in there... odd.. now thats gonna bother me like the stupid fedex arrow.. dammit...

586624690[/snapback]

driveway... the little spot u drive up to ur garage where u also park ur car.

lift vs elevator, to me they are different. a lift, (what i got/call in my house, my brother use to use it; wheelchair user.) only goes up and down on two levels. has no walls just the walls of the square enclosure and the base supported by a huge hydrolic jack. basically a real ****ty elevator. and an elevator is a square box, going up and down mroe than 2 levels and is moved by steel cables from above. these are my personal opinions on the two terms.

586624690[/snapback]

I don't know about where you live but in Pittsburgh we have numerous "Parkways." There's the Parkway North, East, and West. These highways are actually Interstate 279N/579, 376, and 279S.

Maybe this name came about because traffic here is so bad with all the bridges and tunnels - people don't drive on these roads, they just park.

driveway... the little spot u drive up to ur garage where u also park ur car.

586632283[/snapback]

i knew ppl call it that and i know what it is... but thx neways....

Easy answer. Because we want to. Why do Brits call cigarettes FAGS.

586635618[/snapback]

I try not to know that answer.

Anyways ... why do Mexicans say 'hola' instead of 'hello'? Because they speak a different language. American English is starting to become a totally different language, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Change is good, reverting to old customs is bad.

hehe this was some funny reading.. while it was explained.. many times over how us americans call gas.. gas. there was funny reading in this thread. American english is a really tough language to get used to.. I used american english all my life and still find some words very odd in our language.. i believe it was george carlin who asked. how does americans spell home.. HOME.. ok now spell comb.. sounds exactly like home.. so you would think.. come.. wrong :no: . that come is like "come here i want to talk to you", no we have to spell it comb.. so you would think then we should say "com b". lol browsing these forums.. Im looking through threads.. pronouced threeds.. even tho looking at the word.. you could get 'th reads' so then when you have a hole in your clothes you use a needle and "th read" to sew with.. lol no you use thread "th red"! lol go figure! :))

Edited by Cyrick

Gas is short for gasoline like petrol is short for petroleum spirit. Gasoline is actually derived from petroleum.

586613170[/snapback]

Correct.....nearly.

Gasoline or Petroleum-Spirit (petrol for short) to all intents and purposes same product, both obtained from Petroleum.

Correct.....nearly.

Gasoline or Petroleum-Spirit (petrol for short) to all intents and purposes same product, both obtained from Petroleum.

586656011[/snapback]

I'm sure you meant, instead of "to all intents and purposes", "for all intensive purposes"... Right?

Edit: Never mind... I guess the mods took care of that troll...

Why call smokes fags?  :wacko:

586661276[/snapback]

Because that was what they were originally called. The Americanized word is of course used in a derogatory manner. So the question would actually be towards us: why call homosexuals fags? And that's a pretty good question...

lol at this thread!!.....my english teacher once compared the english language to a prostitute!! (no intention to hurt sentiments of native english speakers) said ppl just ended up using and changing it to meet their own needs and requirements. no wonder, at present it is just a mix of words from different languages thrown in....guess no other language has undergone as much change as english. i guess we'll just have to learn to live with it.

btw have you ever been "bangalored"??

Why do the english call a cigarette a ***?

Same kind of question. Nobody knows the answer! :ninja:  So go smoke a ***!

586663061[/snapback]

Would have been better if you had put

"So go suck on a ***" :D

Do amercians called there butts a fanny?

in england a fanny is the female love hole

Also would do americans call disesel

also we can not call petrol/gasoline fuel as fuel can also mean any other substance that comes from anything like wood is fuel, coal is fuel. So we would have to call it the internal combustion engine fuel right?

but really i think we should even bother attempt to ask why we call it differnt things as really they pretty much have the same meaning.