XP cannot copy files for install!

I got a desktop from a friend that apparently works fine. All the said was wrong with it is it had multiple viruses and needed a format. The old OS was Windows ME. When I go to format it works fine but half way through copying installation files it says "cannot copy file xxx". It then gives option to retry (which never works) or to quit without installing. What do I do to get XP Installed. (Yes it does meet the install requirements). I am using an OEM cd of Xp from a different computer. That isn't the problem I don't think because if done a reformat install with that cd on non Dell systems before. The computer im trying to install on is a Compaq Presario 7000. Thanks

its the RAM, run Mtest on the RAM

I had this problem and i had to send my laptop back to the manufacturer for new ram sticks to be put in

Thanks alot cold-peak it was the ram. When I ran memtest it came up with tons of errors. Now the hard part finding pc100 ram thats a good price.

PC 133 will work, it just clocks down to pc 100 speeds

so if you have a few stick of that kicking around, toss it in and you should be golden