Block website via mac address in network

isn't mac addresses 4 networking devices??? i didn't noe that websites had them as well :blink:

EDIT:

here u go, quoted from wikipedia

In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier attached to most forms of networking equipment.

and by blocking websites, do u mean 2 stop some1 else using the comp 2 access "inappropriate" sites?

EDIT: oh wait.... do u mean onli block websites 4 certain mac addresses?? ie if u'r using this wireless card u can't access google but another one can?

if so.... i dont think so. mac address onli provides total exclusion or inclusion... either u can connect 2 the router or u cant

You are misconcepting the MAC. It is per device identification used when within an internal network. These devices are your router, wireless card, ethernet card, cable modem, TiVO, Bluetooth phone. Even the PSP and Nintendo DS have a MAC address because they are wireless "devices" connected to your "internal network."

If the website is in your internal network, then yeah you can block the "whole computer serving the website itself." But websites through the internet? That's a no.

Is there any way to block website(s) on my older Linksys router per macaddress?

No, I would like to block a series of websites on my network. EIther using their network cards MAC address or their internal IP address using the Linksys Router. I know what a Mac Address is.

Their as in the computer itself. The computer is on my network I control. I would liek to filter some contest fromn that computer for various reasons.

now i getchya....

in that case, allow me 2 quote the answer from my previous post

oh wait.... do u mean onli block websites 4 certain mac addresses?? ie if u'r using this wireless card u can't access google but another one can?

if so.... i dont think so. mac address onli provides total exclusion or inclusion... either u can connect 2 the router or u cant

I can't tell what you are trying to say with that post with the poor grammar, no offense. If I can do it with my router it's not weither it's done by IP address or Mac Address.

Filtering websites depending on MAC addresses is not possible, you could only block the whole host. You'd have to route all the web traffic (Port 80) through a (transparent) Proxy and filter it there.

now u're the one wif the bad grammar...

If I can do it with my router it's not weither it's done by IP address or Mac Address.

wat exactly r u trying 2 ask???

r u asking "can i stop certain computers from accessing sites with my router??"

Bind that Mac to a certain IP then filter the sites you want based on that users IP/Mac combo.