Zero Codec Pack

Anyone know what might be happening with this...with VLC player i sometimes can watch the movie but other times i get a gray screen no picture just sound, anyone know whats happening?

as i've seen a lot of you use it anyone else had this problem?

I currently have the <snipped> Codec Pack installed, and have been using the <snipped>codec pack for a few years now.. whats so bad about it except i might not need a few of the codecs?

You say it adds 1330 keys to the registry and 805 values... im presuming thats bad.. but i carnt say its slowed my pc down so does it really matter? if some one could explain :)

Edited by Fred Derf

I have found the MPC + ffdshow combination to be the best for me. VLC and GOM used more system resources to play the same media files that MPC did. It's unlikely that I'll ever switch.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I currently have the <snipped> Codec Pack installed, and have been using the <snipped> codec pack for a few years now.. whats so bad about it except i might not need a few of the codecs?

You say it adds 1330 keys to the registry and 805 values... im presuming thats bad.. but i carnt say its slowed my pc down so does it really matter? if some one could explain :)

I'd like to know that too.

I also use the <snipped> codec pack, and I don't see any problem with that, because when you're installing it, it's asking you exactly what codec you wish to install.

So if I choose to only install Media Player Classic, ffdshow and DirectVobSub, it should be the same as installing them separately, right?

Edited by Fred Derf

has anybody tried kmplayer and is it any decent compared to vlc (as in performace wise, memory etc). Cause the only thing I dislike about VLC is their inability to play Real Media files.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally disagree. I am all for codec packs. Installs 99.99% of all the codecs you will ever need (for decoding and encoding purposes) and you will always see the video file regardless if you use WMP/Winamp/VLC/Media Player Classic etc. I personally use <snipped> pack

Edited by Fred Derf

• 2 weeks later...

i also dont see the problem with coodec packs as long as they dont install loads of unneeded stuff and are easy to remove. i noticed that the first post list MPUI as a mplayer frontend, maybe the poster could also add SMPlayer it seems to have a few intresting features that were not in the last build of MPUI i tried.

• 2 weeks later...

GOM developper replied to the EULA question:

GOM Player cannot play files that are using DRMs. GOM Player uses its own DRM scheme for GOM TV Service which is currently available only in Korea.

-- gommaster / Site Admin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
has anybody tried kmplayer and is it any decent compared to vlc (as in performace wise, memory etc). Cause the only thing I dislike about VLC is their inability to play Real Media files.

KMPlayer is quite an excellent player, it's built using elements from several open-source projects, such as Gabest, FFDShow, FFMpeg, Mplayer, etc... But it only has RealMedia splitters, not RealMedia codecs. The only legal alternatives to RealPlayer that I know of are: JetAudio 7 Basic (they apparently license the codecs from RealNetwroks), and the console-based Mplayer, for which there are several GUI's, like MPUI, SMPlayer, RulesPlayer. A good Mplayer package that plays everything, including RealMedia streams, can be found here: http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home/?page=projects#mplayer

FFDShow might play RealMedia files from your hard drive but not streams:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

I believe VLC does offer limited support for some RealMedia formats including streams.

Edited by Gus Valentine

After reading the topics, i just removed the "famous" codec pack :) and installed FFdsfow, Haali splitter and MPC. But the famous "alternatives" are still installed, cause i don't like the original Real or Quicktime stuff. They are nothing but system hogs.

And after experimenting for a while, i decided to go back to my good old codec pack. Why ? Because it installs just exact same stuff i install induvidually, and it automatically registers file extensions, and saves me time and work. So there is no point of rejecting all the codec packs, if you know which one installs what, like me.

I've been using one of the packs we are not supposed to mention here for years and never had a problem related to it. Content can be licensed, but never the decoders needed to play it.

Edited by wyatt erp

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I just use FFDshow, and oh yea that AC3Filter, they seem to do the job.

Same here , they do most of my stuff for me , that too on Vista

• 3 months later...

I disagree with this thread entirely.

Codec packs are good. They are a guaranty that your system will play any type of video file. Just that codec pack with VLC and/or MPC and you are good to go :)