• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn

Martyn

Game don't change. Game the same.

• 9,242 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:35

Hey,

I know this is probably not the best place to ask, and I have tried using Google, but have not had much luck. Basically my Budgie (Paulie) has stopped using one of his feet. It happened yesterday when we uncovered him, his foot seemed to be a bit limp, and he could not use it at all.

Because, Budgie's spend a lot of time on one leg anyway it does not affect him that much but it affects his climbing ability and he is struggling to do what normally does. He just does not move one of his feet totally, when he moves he simply hops. His sore foot looks completely normal and he is not feeling any pain in it (he would tell us if he was). It is almost like if he has got a dead leg.

Anyway, anyone who can offer some advice on the subject or link me up to some website with some info I would be grateful to.

Cheers,
Martyn

#2 dannyscott5

dannyscott5

dannyscott5

• 2,843 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:39

il ask my dad when he gets home from work mate, hes really really good with birds, we used to have 40birds lol but sold them all due to money... he knows allsorts about them! ;)

#3 1WayJonny

1WayJonny

General, I salute you!

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:42

Dont know what that is but i assum'n its your pet..

none the less i had the same thing happen to my Chinchilla

spranged his ankle and would not eat

almost died

so then i took to vet got some form of pain killer and he started eating and he still ok now

so if its hurt it could effect depression

might wanna check it

#4 vetLaura

Laura

Fwoomp

• 13,313 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:44

I'm no expert (like a vet would be!) but my opinion is that it sounds like he's injured it (fairly obvious) and if he doesn't look like he's in too much pain (don't know how you'd tell with a bird?) then I would wait a week or so to see if it gets better.

If not, trip to the vet.

#5 snyper

snyper

Neowinian Senior

• 10,905 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:44

I did a small bit of research and i saw this mentioned on a few sites...

.... you need a couple perches of different size to prevent the bird from getting sore feet

#6 Shof

Shof

Neowinian Senior

• 14,610 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:46

take them to a doctor?

#7 The Pink Panther

The Pink Panther

Neowinian

• 552 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:46

hahah @ comparison with chinchilla

My budgie had the same problem and ended up dying in the end :( If I were you I'd take him to the vet.

#8 dannyscott5

dannyscott5

dannyscott5

• 2,843 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:48

comparison with a chinchilla rofl!!! and ok then sounds like your better off taking him to a vet before they close tonight! ill see what ma dad stays still, but hes back about 6ish :/ (gmt)

#9 ECEGatorTuro

ECEGatorTuro

Blue-Badgin' @ Intel

• 1,455 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:57

I have owned birds all my life and I have three budgies (parakeets) right now.

Birds are very good at masking illneses (it's an instinctual thing). If your budgie changes behaviors or just acts differently than normal, I HIGHLY suggest that you take him to an avian vet immediately. Notice how I said AVIAN vet and not a regular vet.... avian vets are specialized in birds and are more inclined to find out exactly what's going on. I had two other budgies prior and they both died within seven months because the regular vet I went to had no clue how to handle/diagnose birds.

Birds die very quickly once they start showing symptoms to take him immediately. Also, just the stress alone of having a bad leg can kill him. Most birds (especially small ones) can easily die from stress brought on from illness or other external sources.

PLEASE take him to a vet!!! If you really love your animals, please take him. I can't stand it when people justify not taking their pets to the vet when they are sick because it costs more than the actual pet cost. You're buying a pet for the companionship... please take care of it!

Let me know how that goes. If you have any other questions, let me know. I know a lot about birds since I've had them all my life and my uncles are vets back home.

#10 OP Martyn

Martyn

Game don't change. Game the same.

• 9,242 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 15:59

il ask my dad when he gets home from work mate, hes really really good with birds, we used to have 40birds lol but sold them all due to money... he knows allsorts about them! ;)

Thanks mate, appreciate it (Y).

I'm no expert (like a vet would be!) but my opinion is that it sounds like he's injured it (fairly obvious) and if he doesn't look like he's in too much pain (don't know how you'd tell with a bird?) then I would wait a week or so to see if it gets better.

If not, trip to the vet.

Paulie is a bit of a wuss anyway, if something is wrong with him he usually let's us know. Our family all give him a lot of attention, he is struggling to get to his food now though so we feed and water him ourselves. He loves the attention. He is acting perfectly normally though :/, he is chirping away to his mirror as I type this.

I did a small bit of research and i saw this mentioned on a few sites...

I dont think that is the problem. My budgie has a swing in my room, in my sisters room, he sits on the office lamp, on the desk and then he has the perches in his cage.

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I will give it a few more day's to see if his foot starts to get better.

#11 Druw

Druw

"I walked my dog today, it was fun" Whoa

• 880 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 16:18

i believe it was a joke.
Anyway, take him to a vet asap.

#12 snyper

snyper

Neowinian Senior

• 10,905 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 16:25

Alaskin Husky VS Love Bird

There was always only going to be only one winner there, the weigh difference and the reach advantage alone was in the huskeys favour :(

#13 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,545 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 16:59

:pinch: I'm afraid your pet bird is near the end -- get a new budgie.

#14 ECEGatorTuro

ECEGatorTuro

Blue-Badgin' @ Intel

• 1,455 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 17:08

Thanks mate, appreciate it (Y).
Paulie is a bit of a wuss anyway, if something is wrong with him he usually let's us know. Our family all give him a lot of attention, he is struggling to get to his food now though so we feed and water him ourselves. He loves the attention. He is acting perfectly normally though :/, he is chirping away to his mirror as I type this.
I dont think that is the problem. My budgie has a swing in my room, in my sisters room, he sits on the office lamp, on the desk and then he has the perches in his cage.

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I will give it a few more day's to see if his foot starts to get better.

I CANNOT SAY IT ENOUGH!

DO NOT WAIT!!!

Take him to the vet immediately... I have seen it time and time again. People tend to wait and see if their bird gets better by waiting but that is the most IRRESPONSIBLE thing you could ever do!

By the time the bird starts to show symptoms, it's ALMOST TOO LATE! Please understand this!!!

JUST GO TO THE AVIAN VET NOW! DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER PLEASE!

Your pet is suffering because something is wrong with it and he can barely get to his food! PLEASE TAKE HIM NOW!

Sorry for the CAPS but it just ****es me off because I have seen countless birds (especially budgies) die because their owners just wanted to "wait and see". There is obviously something wrong with your bird and it will almost always be fatal if you wait!

ARGH! Why don't people get this?! :angry: :wacko:

#15 Andy07

Andy07

Neowinian Senior

• 3,371 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 17:10

He should be ok...
They are very smart at looking after themselves... my bird hurt his foot while landing on top the cage wrongly and kept foot up for about a week.

I would try to make life easier for your bird by moving food and drink higher or lower depending where the bird sits mostly ;)