Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon for 200usd?

Will we? I thought Sony said that most games will be 720p? (not that 720p is a bad thing..)

Well I think they're aiming for 1080p, but they'll probably just settle for 720p. I don't think we'll be seeing many 1080p games.

at less we get a new drive if we want it, not like some consoles that are making us paying +$200 exta.

It's $100 extra compared to 360 (20GB models) and it'll be used for games too. $100 really isn't that much.

Now I wait for a HDDVD addon for the Wii. :cool:

That's never going to happen - with the Xbox 360, all the power is inside the console itself, so the add-on can be sold for a lot less. With the Wii, there isn't nearly enough horsepower.

You might as well buy a standalone player.

People seem to forget that when talking about the $500 PS3...oh but because we're talking about Microsoft's 360, it's ok :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic - yeah, $200 :|

Except that i will never buy one so they arnt forcing me to pay for technology i dont want

They aren't forcing you to pay for anything :rolleyes:

By including it yes.

Some people are interested in PS3 purely because of the games and they have no option but to pay for it.

I dont have a HDTV and wont have one for another 3 or 4 years im guessing... So im glad microsoft gave us the option.

Yeap, same here. I'm waiting till I get my HDTV. Going to be a long research-shopping project (any suggestions would be appreciated :D)

i would rather $200 for a hd-dvd player then $1000 for a blu-ray player

Stop posting that ludicrous comment.

The HD-DVD addon will not work on its own - you need to purchase at least the $300 Xbox 360 pack (although no one buys the tard pack, according to Sheppard). So that makes it $500/$600.

The PS3, with a built in Blu-ray drive, is $500/$600.

:rolleyes:

whats the point in arguing about 1080 i / p? a majority of the market wont have or intend to own a HDTV this year, or next year and will probably only just upgrade within 5 years if that. and the companies go for what the majority wants.

i bought my 360 cause i wanted a next gen gaming machine, then i decided to buy a new tv cause mine was dieing, and i wanted to show some independance (dont know how that worked...?600 in debt to parents lol) and also to use with my 360 to use its FULL potential.

$200 whats that in uk? about ?100-?150? they'll probably sell for ?200 over here, and tbh, i wont be that interested in it, look how long it took DVDs to kick start, and VHS have only just started to die out after 5-6 or whatever years of competition to DVDs, its going to take that long imo for dvds to die out and be replaced by Blu Ray or HD what ever wins (Microsoft backed one imo)

and buy that time the prices would have came down anyway,

it just looks like people here moaning or arguing the price and about ps3 being better (no offence bhav but yeah you know you're doing:pt :p)are forgetting that it wont be the impulse buy option for the masses, only the hard core a/v person or gamer and that by time they're interested the price will have come down.

just my 2 pennies xD

I find it hard to believe that the RSX in the PS3 can do 1080p but the Xenos in the 360 cant. Mainly because the RSX is a G70, which is in the 7800 graphics range, yet the Xenos is a pure console chip. I think its the fact that when microsoft launched the 360 1080p HDTV sets didnt exist and cost ?6000 today still (might have come down since I last looked). This way a 1080i tv costs alot less, and 720p the most common output on the 360 is generally the standard on most HDTV sets. The Xenos is ALOT more powerful than the RSX, have been numerious articles on it, so how the ps3 will look better as many people say I fail to see.

Sony put Blu-Ray in the PS3 because they want to get it out there to be the future standard, microsoft are backing HD-DVD but they make software and it wot matter as much to Microsoft if HD-DVD fails, if Blu-Ray fails then Sony have a problem as they took out a few million dollars to pay for the production of it, think it was $98 million or something silly (need to check figure).

Blu-ray in the PS3 is merely to get cheap blu-ray players to the market. They are having trouble with the dual layer discs as well, so the drive in the ps3 will more than likely only read single layer, I could be wrong though may read dual layer. If it is single layer only then its only a 25gb disc and most games at the moment are only about 6-7gb, with more space companies will be lazy and not compress the data which will mean its bigger to read for the console only slowing the process down, meaning the read spead of the blu ray drive is useless.

I find it hard to believe that the RSX in the PS3 can do 1080p but the Xenos in the 360 cant. Mainly because the RSX is a G70, which is in the 7800 graphics range, yet the Xenos is a pure console chip. I think its the fact that when microsoft launched the 360 1080p HDTV sets didnt exist and cost ?6000 today still (might have come down since I last looked). This way a 1080i tv costs alot less, and 720p the most common output on the 360 is generally the standard on most HDTV sets. The Xenos is ALOT more powerful than the RSX, have been numerious articles on it, so how the ps3 will look better as many people say I fail to see.

Xenos can do 1080p.

By including it yes.

Some people are interested in PS3 purely because of the games and they have no option but to pay for it.

No, they have the option to ultimately not buy a PS3, or wait for a price drop, or if they can already afford it buy it.

That's never going to happen - with the Xbox 360, all the power is inside the console itself, so the add-on can be sold for a lot less. With the Wii, there isn't nearly enough horsepower.

And that's where I'm lost. My crappy P4 computer with a GF2 can decode and show a 1080p MPEG2 stream, but a wii, which is probably considerably more powerful, can't handle it? The PS3 and 360 are powerful enough to decode several HD streams at once, I'm sure the wii can do at least one.

Stop posting that ludicrous comment.

The HD-DVD addon will not work on its own - you need to purchase at least the $300 Xbox 360 pack (although no one buys the tard pack, according to Sheppard). So that makes it $500/$600.

The PS3, with a built in Blu-ray drive, is $500/$600.

:rolleyes:

You missed the point. He owns a 360 already, because he chose that over the other next-gen consoles. Now, if he wants to get into the HD era of video he has to choose between HD-DVD and Blu-ray. What's cheaper Bhav? The HD-DVD addon, a standalone HD-DVD Player, the PS3 that he doesn't want, or a standalone Blu-ray Player.

Even though it's a plus that Sony's included a next-gen player, I don't think people who buy the consoles should be tied (for lack of a better word, mind you) to that format. What if someone who gets a PS3 chooses HD-DVD over Blu-ray (or say Blu-ray loses out in the format war). Then they are really screwed. At least with Microsoft's way, if a 360 owner would choose Blu-ray (or HD-DVD loses out), they won't have payed extra for an internal HD-DVD player.

-Spenser

You missed the point. He owns a 360 already, because he chose that over the other next-gen consoles. Now, if he wants to get into the HD era of video he has to choose between HD-DVD and Blu-ray. What's cheaper Bhav? The HD-DVD addon, a standalone HD-DVD Player, the PS3 that he doesn't want, or a standalone Blu-ray Player.

Even though it's a plus that Sony's included a next-gen player, I don't think people who buy the consoles should be tied (for lack of a better word, mind you) to that format. What if someone who gets a PS3 chooses HD-DVD over Blu-ray (or say Blu-ray loses out in the format war). Then they are really screwed. At least with Microsoft's way, if a 360 owner would choose Blu-ray (or HD-DVD loses out), they won't have payed extra for an internal HD-DVD player.

-Spenser

Strange argument.

Its not fair or unfair that Sony chose the bluray for their format. Its their product. You choose to buy or not buy.

Gamecube uses a proprietary format. So does the PSP, DS, SNES, NES and a bunch of other consumer products. You can choose to buy it or not. Nobody is "screwed" by buying the product, unless somebody is holding a gun to your head.

You say you "don't think people who buy the consoles should be tied (for lack of a better word, mind you) to that format", but 360 games only run on 360, and PS3 games only run on PS3.

As for video, if you buy a 360, you are tied to DVD and HDDVD, since there is no bluray addon yet.

Ofcourse, there may be in the future, just like there may be a HDDVD addon for the PS3.

Sony chose bluray as their media for games. Thats that.

No matter what product you buy, you get tied to something, even with a 360.

I think what he's saying is people could choose the 360 because it can play regular DVDs and potentially HD-DVDs when the PS3 can only use Blu-Ray

Gunner, I feel you missed the point. When I was talking about being tied to a format, I was talking about the next-gen movie format.

What you are saying basically goes against the reason anyone anywhere buys a console. They buy it mainly for the games. That's why there's no argument as to why you can't play one console's games on another.

My argument was trying to make the distinction between the games consoles and the next-gen movie formats, saying that those two (games and movies) should be distinct and not tied specifically together. Unfortunately, Sony has forced the two to be tied together by creating Blu-ray and using it as the PS3 game standard, thus tying the next-gen movie format to games consoles.

I feel like my last post may be a bit more clearer than this one, but I'll be back on tomorrow if you do need something cleared up about the argument I'm making.

/edit - and I see there's another post now that missed a lot of the point. I'm going to try and really sum this up. I think it's what you all know already. People choose a console based on the games. That's how it's been. That's how it's going to be. We fight and fight over specs and they do play some role, but in the end, the deciding factor is the games. I'm trying to say that it should be kept this way, and that people should be able to freely choose a movie format that's not tied to the console they want to purchase.

-Spenser

Edited by stifler6478

I think what he's saying is people could choose the 360 because it can play regular DVDs and potentially HD-DVDs when the PS3 can only use Blu-Ray

What? I don't understand you point...the PS3 can play DVDs as well...

What? I don't understand you point...the PS3 can play DVDs as well...

He means that with the external Add-On Microsoft can support HD-DVD or, if that format fails, they can support Blu-Ray for movies while in contrast Sony is locked in with supporting Blu-Ray because it's built into their console.