NOOOOOO, my XBOX360 experiences hardware failure!

Update:

Phoned Microsoft. They issued me a service request no. and I will need to send in my XBOX360 to the Canadian Repair Centre once I receive their box in the mail.

It is under warranty for 90 days.

Thanks for the help!

Eh? I'm not so sure. I think MS is still under that 3-5% that electronics go through. I think we just see a lot more here because Neowin is a tech oriented site. Things like that are brought out quite a bit. It is unfortunate though. I haven't had any problems yet with my 360 since I got it in January, and hopefully that streak continues.

-Spenser

Just to follow up from what you said, I don't really know what to think anymore, looking around different forums more and more launch 360's seem to be failing. My 360 was also a launch machine and showed no signs of problems before the 3 red lights started to show up.

Have a look at this thread over at the eurogamer forums - they are now keeping tally of the failed 360s of their forums members, so far the tally stands at 41.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_post...3&start=120

You'll need to scroll near the bottom of the page, have a look at [maven]'s post.

I'm sure Microsoft appreciates your understanding :D

The OEM must be getting pummeled with short delivery time and low price.

Likewise, I'm sure Nintendo and especially Sony must very well appreciate it.

Well, people who experience problems are usually more vocal than people without problems.

I guess only MS knows the real tally.

Yes, and according to their tally it's within 3-5%. Doesn't seem too bad, especially for initial batches, if you ask me.

Just to follow up from what you said, I don't really know what to think anymore, looking around different forums more and more launch 360's seem to be failing. My 360 was also a launch machine and showed no signs of problems before the 3 red lights started to show up.

Have a look at this thread over at the eurogamer forums - they are now keeping tally of the failed 360s of their forums members, so far the tally stands at 41.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_post...3&start=120

You'll need to scroll near the bottom of the page, have a look at [maven]'s post.

You have to realize that that tally is from a very small and selective sample size. It is in no way indicative from what the overall tally truly is.

Yes, and according to their tally it's within 3-5%. Doesn't seem too bad, especially for initial batches, if you ask me.

Do you work for microsoft?

Do you have an inside track that we're unaware of? :shiftyninja:

what he says is true and actually the real global number falls under the 3.4% range... :shiftyninja: ;)

No, I don't. But I do know how to read.

Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell confirmed today what many people already know: There are problems with the Xbox 360. However, she was quick to stress that Microsoft is providing service via 1-800-4MYXBOX and that the frequency of problems is below the average 3 to 5 percent range for videogame consoles at launch.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/673/673686p1.html

The "buying a new one and returning the old one" doesn't work as often anymore because more and more stores are scanning the serial number into the sale, thus being part of your receipt. When they scan the one you didn't buy ther'll be a discrepancy in the serial numbers.

Ok now if this is indeed true then theoretically he could take his box back to the store he bought it from, They could scan the serial and bring up the reciept and he could then get a copy of that?

Sounds like a plan Sherlock!

Ok now if this is indeed true then theoretically he could take his box back to the store he bought it from, They could scan the serial and bring up the reciept and he could then get a copy of that?

Sounds like a plan Sherlock!

That's if they want ot be helpful. Some stores refuse to do it without a receipt so that everyone doesn't come in without a receipt expecting it be looked up. :wacko:

It worked for me at Best Buy. I was gonna ship my 360 back to MS, but I found out that morning that Best Buy got a new shipment of 360's so I quickly grabbed one. A few days later I returned by broken one in its place.

This was back in February, though. Retailers may have wised up to the serial numbers by now.