Is my 360 supposed to be this loud?

I just picked up an Xbox 360 on Saturday, and while I'm impressed with the games (bought Dead Rising) and all of the functions, is it supposed to sound like a plane taking off? I'm used to very quiet computers I guess, but it sounds like it's reading the disc at full speed all the time, and the fans are running full tilt, then when I take the game out and go to the console, the sound isn't near as bad, just the fans.

I'm assuming it's normal, but just in case I'd like to know before something bad happens.

I did find that placing the console Horizontally does make the console a bit quieter but I think this is just because its got more space to spread the sound out along the surface if you get what I mean. A fast speed disc that I have for example is PGR3 but one day I did play the game for about 1 and a half hours and it got almost silent after a while which was good kind of like the background noise when your watching a DVD. :)

JMann

Mine's really loud too. If I am just in the Dashboard and doing music streaming from my PC it is quieter, but only just shy of what I would call unacceptably noisy. The funny thing is you read people online say that their unit is quiet. I have to wonder if their 360 uses different components, or are they just stone deaf?

I am seriously going to consider updating to a newer model if the 65nm process ends up in a much quieter machine. I use the media streaming feature quiet a bit and my whiney 360 somewhat dampens my enjoyment of what is a really cool feature.

i dont have a xbox360 but my xbox is getting louder? i had my xbox in a tight space for a day(it got real hot) ever sence it been getting louder and i went to xbox.com and they replace one of my wires(outlet one).my quesion is will that hurt my disc im planing on getting it around x mass and i dont want lose my disc i lost true crime:LA(cant get the disc to read) and madden 05 is F***ed up.

'an' aircraft!? Mine sounds like a whole fleet of 747's firing up their engines, seriously, i think my neighbours might think i am experimenting with jet engines soon. Sometimes i sort of grow accustomed to it, but as soon as i turn it off, i realise how quiet it is without it...

It depends on what DVD drive your 360 has. Mine has a LG and is quite noisy. they say the samsung version is much more quiet. You could buy some replacement fans for it. They fit perfectly (when bought at special 360 webshop), have more CFM (=airflow) and don't make as much noise as the original. That togheter with an Samsung drive wouldn't be too bad.

but then you have to be brave, tear the warranty sticker to bits and risk your 300 / 400 USD/EUR investment ;). So far I haven't.

Haven't played my 360 for nearly 3 weeks. Will do in a sec tough.