C ... Or ... C++ ?

Question

I've been learning Visual Basic for the past few weeks now, and hope to continue programming in it for a bit longer until i try to learn something new..

I was just wandering though.. if i was going to learn a new language... out of C and C++ which one should I learn? :blink:

9 answers to this question

Start with C to aquire some good non-object oriented programming techniques, then learn C++.

If you learn C++ first, you'll be lost when asked to do something in simple C. Well not really lost, but it won't be fun.

And if you're really bored one day, take a look at C# or Java :)

c++ is more widely used now. it will be easier to learn because of your vb background because it supports object oriented programming. however, if you want to learn to program and interact with hardware c is a better bet. they are really very similar. if you learn one of them, the other will come very easily.

c++ is an oop language. c is a structured language.

knowing c++ does not mean knowing c. structured programming is limited, think of dos vs windows. if u want to do some serious windows(or linux) programming learn c++. if u wanna go slow and start from the basics, do c first.

well, thats my opinion. writing windows programs in c would mean 2 pages of code just to create a window.

If stuff like making your own windows forms is your idea of a good time then learn C.

Otherwise, if you're happy with the programming someone else has done to create that form for you by simply dragging and dropping it into the design window, go C++

Personally, I like VB. Sure there are some things you can't do, but honestly, I haven't found it that big a deal. Especially considering how much quicker VB development is.

delphi is a simple and good RAD language. and it produces small, compact and fast exe's. object pascal is easy to learn. alternative to vb. supports activex and vcl's and clx's. this makes me sound like a borland salesman, but anyhow, u could consider delphi as an alternative to vb, but probably not the next step. full oop too.