Playstation 3 Launch Violence

Wow. Someone must've told the people in the back of the line that the store they were in line for only had 10 or 15 PS3's available or something. But still... :/

lol, of course Nick Mata was 1st in line, he's a beast.

These PS3 lines are getting out of hand though, muggings, shootings, riots.... did any of this happen in Japan?

Survival of the fittest over a video game? Society is doomed. Good on the Japanese for showing class.

Edit:

First, there was the riot. Play was originally no more than 100 spaces behind in the line, paying no attention to police barking false claims that "construction" was about to begin, and everyone should please skedaddle. The throng rapidly became unruly, and around 10:30PM all hell suddenly broke loose. It was a stampede, hundreds of people rushing for the entrance to Yodobashi, likely the result of a simple misunderstanding. The push of the crowd was unreal. Rows of bicycles, scooters and motorcycles could be seen columnating, collapsing domino-style through peripheral vision. Backpacks and jackets were being trampled underfoot. Harried hollers of "we're not selling any PlayStation 3s today!" could be heard, as the hive-mind of the PS3-hungry horde hurtled hence towards their wholly unknown goal.
- http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseacti...mp;Japan_ID=121

[Threads Merged]

Edited by Fred Derf

I wouldn't go that far, FD, I mean, I don't like Sony, but it's not their fault some people are truly idiots (talking about the guy with the gun, not the one that got shot). It would be awfully nice of them, and therefore, I wouldn't expect it.

-Spenser

Our Best Buy had 280 or something like that. I was 130 something in line for that one.

do MS employee's not get first dibs on stuff like that?

surely you guys get benefits beyond the project you're working in?

It seems the users on Digg.com find this funny...

It is funny. Terrorist want to kill americans but we're doing it for them ourselves. Over video games no less. We make ourselves look like idiots.

It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't go that far, FD, I mean, I don't like Sony, but it's not their fault some people are truly idiots (talking about the guy with the gun, not the one that got shot). It would be awfully nice of them, and therefore, I wouldn't expect it.

You could argue that it was partially their fault. They could have delayed the launch until they had sufficient inventory. Some people were predicting riots like this.

This comprehensive article from CNN seems to sum up today's events related to the PS3 launch:

Robbers prey on Playstation 3 buyers

Here are some excerpts:

...another shopper was beaten and robbed of his new PlayStation 3 just minutes after he bought it at a store in Manchester, police said.

The shopper told police five men surrounded and beat him as he left the Shoppes at Buckland Hills with the new PlayStation.

Two people were arrested in Fresno, California, after a crowd trampled people in a parking lot.
In Sullivan, Indiana, a man was in critical condition after emergency surgery for a stab wound after he and a friend tried to rob two men of consoles they waited 36 hours in line to buy, police said.

Andrew Templeton, 20, and David Wiggins, 28, of Sullivan, Indiana, were assaulted by two teens after waiting for 36 hours at a Super Wal-Mart, police said.

They were unloading their PlayStation 3s from their car when two teens approached them carrying a chain and a tire iron and demanding their consoles, said Sullivan Police Chief David Story.

Police fired a talcum powder ball at the ground outside a Target store in Henrico, Virginia, to get the attention of an unruly crowd of about 350 people who were waiting to buy one of the shop's eight consoles, police said.

Do you think that now we've gotten past launch day that events like this being tied to the PS3 will end? I seriously hope so because this is really messed up.

Lemmings don't walk off cliffs. Thats a fallacy perpertrated by games manufacturers!

Actually it all started when disney made a documentary where the host and crew chased lemmings off of a cliff to make it interesting...

In further news of the destruction that the release of the Playstation 3 is causing around the world (or the bits of it where they've released the Playstation 3), several people were injured and one had to be taken to hospital after a shop made customers play a musical chairs-style game for the priviledge of buying one.

Faced with the problem of 50 impatient customers outside his Wal-Mart store in West Bend, Wisconsin, and only 10 Playstation 3s in stock, the assistant manager of the store hit upon a plan that could not possibly go wrong in any way whatsoever.

He lined ten chairs up outside the store, sending the customers off to stand in a different area. When he gave the signal, the customers were to make a dash for the chairs, and the ten who ended up sitting on the chairs would be allowed to buy the consoles. :huh:

Good plan.

In the free-for-all that followed, one 19-year-old had to be taken to hospital after he ran into a flagpole and dislocated his jaw. Several other customers also received minor injuries.

One customer, Brad Smith, told local TV station TMJ4: 'People were basically running and trampling each other to get in line. And once we were in line, people were sitting on each other trying to get the seats out from underneath the people.'

One of the successful ten, Chris Friedrich, said: 'I got tripped up and I got pushed and shoved right into my chair. I banged up my knee, ripped my pants and somebody landed right on top of me. I actually had to pull that person off of me.' :|

The man who dislocated his jaw is reported to have hired a lawyer, and plans to sue Wal-Mart. :laugh:

source

The man who dislocated his jaw is reported to have hired a lawyer, and plans to sue Wal-Mart. :laugh:

source

this goes along the lines of that dude who fell on a knife whilst breaking into a home, suing, and winning. I mean sure, the whole 10-chair thing was a retarded idea.. but its not like they were held at gunpoint to participate.

"oh noes, in my idiotic attempt to snatch a piece of crap PS3, i, for just an instant, disregarded the visual feed into my brain which clearly showed a huge flagpole about to smack me in my face, which landed me in the hospital. in attempt to draw attention off myself for being idiotic and resorting to such retarded measures to get a PS3 which sucks bawls, as well as looking retarded for neglecting my eyesight, i shall be suing the business that i was located on the grounds of"

i hope this doofus loses in court and is left with some pretty legal fees, and a slack jaw.

it's sad to see the true side of people when they act upon the temptation caused by the many lies sony has fed into their minds about how FLIPPIN AWESOME the PS3 is and even tho it's $600 and a overheating POS, it's worth looking like a retard, pushing fellow man down in the process just to get their greedy little hands on the thing.

meh, gotta love society as it is known today