Sony Retracts 1080i Fix Statement

They were probably never tested on such hardware, i'm sure it will be an easy fix via firmware, but it agree its a little sad to have a patch a week after its release, but better sooner than later.

Every console has its intial problems, like the Wii is making fat and lazy peoples arms sore... ..

They were probably never tested on such hardware, i'm sure it will be an easy fix via firmware, but it agree its a little sad to have a patch a week after its release, but better sooner than later.

Every console has its intial problems, like the Wii is making fat and lazy peoples arms sore... ..

that's the thing though, it may not be just a firmware issue. the PS3 doesn't have a built-in hardware scaler to differentiate output resolution like the 360 does.

Uhh, that's the most idiotic comment I've seen. It downscales to 480p, instead of upscaling to 1080i. Now lets take a look at this: 480p is EDTV, and 1080i is HDTV. I don't care what kind of tv freak you are, an interlaced image at 1080 is going to look far, far more amazing than a progressive image at 480. Your comment may not be bogus if you're comparing, say 1080i to 1080p, but not from an EDTV image to an HDTV image. That's just stupid.

This is not the consumer's fault - it's all on Sony. They tout the whole "Everything you can do, I can do better" thing against the 360, and they can't do something so simple as upscale an image based on what the TV type is.

Remember, not everyone is so technologically well-adapted as some of us here are, and even some that are coulud make the purchase just as easily.

-Spenser

I got offtopic then - Im talking that it is a stupid move buying that kind of tv in GENERAL

....IMO >_>

Do you get it?

Anyways, Id be ****ed too if I had one of those TVs and I just bought a PS3

But I wouldnt buy it when it wasnt compatible with my tv -

Thats like buying a 7.1 surround sound system to your computer when your computer only supports 2.1 :s

Well... HD Gaming doesn't start until they say it does... now, who is still waiting??

:laugh: Exactly what I was thinking.

"Get true EDTV gaming with the PS3!" :rofl:

And how praytell were Sony's customers supposed to know it wasn't compatible when they made no mention of it? Its not like front of the PS3 box says "If your TV does not support 720p do not buy this as it will downscale your picture instead of upscaling"

It's a simple matter of Sony not testing against a wide base of hardware which quite frankly is appalling if Sony did not have a single PS3 tester who owned a HDTV that wasn't manufactured in the last few years because I hate to say it but there are TONS of people who own TV's that don't support 720p....

And the argument of "well its time to upgrade your TV" is inexcusable as the TV is not the issue, the PS3 is the issue

And how praytell were Sony's customers supposed to know it wasn't compatible when they made no mention of it? Its not like front of the PS3 box says "If your TV does not support 720p do not buy this as it will downscale your picture instead of upscaling"

It's a simple matter of Sony not testing against a wide base of hardware which quite frankly is appalling if Sony did not have a single PS3 tester who owned a HDTV that wasn't manufactured in the last few years because I hate to say it but there are TONS of people who own TV's that don't support 720p....

And the argument of "well its time to upgrade your TV" is inexcusable as the TV is not the issue, the PS3 is the issue

I don't think it had anything to do with not testing against all possible hd tv resolutions. I think it's just retards running the company that found it far more important to force blueray onto it's customers and there by having to shave off components that should have been included in the first place just to save a buck or two. Not including a scaler is quite a blunder on Sony's part and it would be interesting to see how they handle this.

And lets not forget that the issue of having no scaler (potentially anyway since it hasn't been confirmed/denied) doesn't just affect 1080i tvs but also 720p lcds. Blueray playback will not look as good as a standalone due to the fact that it gets converted to 1080i first.

Way to go to Sony. The HD era really does start with your system.

Do you get it?

Anyways, Id be ****ed too if I had one of those TVs and I just bought a PS3

Thats like buying a 7.1 surround sound system to your computer when your computer only supports 2.1 :s

Yes but Sony has been making lots of noise concerning the fact that their console does TRUEHD!!!""!"!3onetwobucklemyshoe and it cant even upscale 720p properly.

The 360 can do it flawlessly and 'apparently' the PS3 is more powerful so there is no excuse for not doing it.

Bad move on everyone-who-bought-that-kind-of-tv's part

Yes when they were researching hdtv's im sure they took into account that the ps3 wouldn't function properly on them even though it was suposed to support 1080i... ****ing ignorrent dumbass. :crazy:

What's everyones problem, they didn't say their not going to fix it, they just covered their ass by not making promises

New strategy then... this way they dont have to add to the list of screw ups if they cant fix it.

I have one of these tvs. It can only play 1080i. Any new tv should have 720p but when I bought the TV like 4 years ago it was the one of the best tv on market. And for Hd, I compared images on my tv with my friends 720p dlp tv and the picture doesnt look that much different.

from avsforum, I readthat PS3 actually does have hardware chip that supports all resolutions ( it can play blue ray at 1080i) but sony didnt ship the developers necessery libraries to output 1080i at software level and they also didnt ship any libraries so that the chip with take care of the resolution.

Yes when they were researching hdtv's im sure they took into account that the ps3 wouldn't function properly on them even though it was suposed to support 1080i... ****ing ignorrent dumbass. :crazy:

**** **** ****ing **** **** arjaksdksad **** ******* ***

DO YOU EVEN READ MY POSTS?

Im talking in generel - have you seen an interlaced signal? its just AWFUL

Thats like playing on your pc with the highest resolutions but graphics set to extremely low :s

**** **** ****ing **** **** arjaksdksad **** ******* ***

DO YOU EVEN READ MY POSTS?

Im talking in generel - have you seen an interlaced signal? its just AWFUL

Thats like playing on your pc with the highest resolutions but graphics set to extremely low :s

I've read everything you had to say and with a comment like this one, I know you're a f*king dumbass. Do you own a HDTV? Have you ever see what is 1080i ?

You speak as if 720p was better than 1080i, well you're wrong. Much more details in 1080i and the picture is rock solid.

SO, if someone bought a 1080i only TV (a couple of years ago), they should expect the PS3 to work on it. If MS can make the Xbox360 work in 1080i, why can't Sony do it?

I think maybe you're the one that hasn't seen an interlaced HD signal. ON actual HDTV's designed for interlaced, such as standard tube TV's wich offer at least as good picture as LCD or Plasma/in fact better colors and contrast) and are like 1/4th the price.

so if you've got the space if it, why bother getting an overprice LCD with sub par picture quality.

I've read everything you had to say and with a comment like this one, I know you're a f*king dumbass. Do you own a HDTV? Have you ever see what is 1080i ?

You speak as if 720p was better than 1080i, well you're wrong. Much more details in 1080i and the picture is rock solid.

SO, if someone bought a 1080i only TV (a couple of years ago), they should expect the PS3 to work on it. If MS can make the Xbox360 work in 1080i, why can't Sony do it?

Yes, 1080 is more crisp and clear - but what good does it do if its interlaced? >>>I<<< think it looks awful.

They never said they wouldnt fix it - they said they might not be able to fix it!

I think maybe you're the one that hasn't seen an interlaced HD signal. ON actual HDTV's designed for interlaced, such as standard tube TV's wich offer at least as good picture as LCD or Plasma/in fact better colors and contrast) and are like 1/4th the price.

so if you've got the space if it, why bother getting an overprice LCD with sub par picture quality.

True, Ive never seen an interlaced signal on a tv designed for that signal.

I have a question for people on this thread with a PS3.. I've heard along with this issue in 720p games (not upscaling to 1080i/p and downscaling to 480p) there's an issue with Blueray.

Supposidely if you're watching a Blueray film, you have to select either 1080i/1080p from the resolution settings.. If it's set to 720p, it will downscale to 480p.. Is that true?? If so, holy crap.. They need to fix that now.

Yes, 1080 is more crisp and clear - but what good does it do if its interlaced? >>>I<<< think it looks awful.

Well your opinion doesn't matter. "I don't think 1080i looks good, so obviously they shouldn't fix the system for the plenty of other people that want upscaling to 1080i!" You see the flaw in that logic?

I guess Sony's learned their lesson about promises. "Overshooting, underdelivering" is a prominent flaw of theirs that they seem to be retracting. :p

And lets not forget that the issue of having no scaler (potentially anyway since it hasn't been confirmed/denied) doesn't just affect 1080i tvs but also 720p lcds.

Nope, because the 1080i sets we're talking about can't accept the 720p the PS3 can put out (newer sets can, but will upscale to 1080i if they're tubes). Obviously, the LCD panels can accept it, as it's their native resolution.

Nope, because the 1080i sets we're talking about can't accept the 720p the PS3 can put out (newer sets can, but will upscale to 1080i if they're tubes). Obviously, the LCD panels can accept it, as it's their native resolution.

I think he might have been referencing the Blueray issue with 720p LCD sets. 720p on Blueray gets downscaled to 480p. You have to select 1080i or p.

Well ok first of all are there any sets that can do both 1080i and 720p? All the TVs i know of either do one or the other. LCDs are 720P and will downscale 1080i to 720 and other TVs that are 1080i will upscale 720p to 1080i. I know of NO TV that actually can do both since they both can't be native resolution.

I just got a Sony 57" Projection (dirt cheap off craigslist and is a 2005 Model so only 1yr old) and while it does have HDMI it also says 480i/480p/720p/1080i above the component slots but with a 720p source it gets converted or just doesn't show anything (weird, the x360 at 720p is blank)

Now with this whole 720p vs 1080i issue, even tho 1080i is interlaced you still get a better picture than 720p. I don't care if it's progressive, i'm sure with the option of 1920 x 1080i vs 1280 x 720p for your computer games (if monitors could be interlaced) you'd still pick the 1080 counterpart just for more info on the screen and higher resolution. 720p is nice but still can't compare to 1080i. I also don't think the jump from 1080i to 1080p will be so drastic. There's already so much info on the screen (resolution) that our brains just discard some of it anyways. If you have some $10,000 setup then yeah you might notice it but definitely not on your regular $800- 2,000 TV.