PS3 shooter busted, victim selling on eBay

PS3 shooter busted, victim selling on eBay

One of two suspected assailants caught by Connecticut police; victim selling console to help offset hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills.

Earlier this month, the hype for the PlayStation 3 launch was accompanied by several reported crimes, the most serious of which was the shooting of a man during a botched hold-up outside a Putnam, Connecticut, Wal-Mart.

The Associated Press today is reporting that police have made an arrest in the case and have a warrant for a second. A 20-year-old man from nearby Woodstock, Connecticut, was arrested early this morning on multiple charges, including attempted murder and robbery. However, police have yet to catch the man's suspected 17-year-old accomplice.

As for the victim, the AP reports that the 21-year-old Webster, Massachusetts, resident Michael Penkala is recovering from the wounds he sustained after refusing to give up a wallet with more than $2,500 in cash to the gunmen.

According to an article in the Worcester Telegram & Gazette, Penkala was struck by a shotgun blast to the chest after refusing to hand over his wallet and telling the assailants he had called 911. The gunmen ran, and Penkala was brought into the store's lobby, where he told employees to take the wallet and give it to his friends in line so they could continue waiting for the PS3s.

"For some reason I wasn't thinking about my wound, I was all about those PlayStations," Penkala told the paper.

Penkala had enlisted three friends to wait in line with him, and the group was first through fourth in the line. Penkala picked up his PS3s from the store on Saturday, with Wal-Mart picking up the tab for one of them. Penkala told the paper his only interest in the systems was to sell them for a profit on eBay.

Regardless of the sum he gets for the systems, the entire ordeal seems certain to be a net loss for Penkala. He told the paper that he has no health insurance and is expecting his hospital bills to total in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. A "Michael Penkala Fund" has been established to help pay for his medical treatment at the Commerce Bank, 25 Worcester Road, Webster, MA 01570.

By Brendan Sinclair -- GameSpot

Posted Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm CT

Story from GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162390.html

Copyright ?2006 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Why would anyone want to help him by donating money to pay for his medical bills? The guys an ass, all he wanted to do was make a quick buck, if he didnt want the PS3 then he should have got a job like normal people and paid his way! where did he get the money for 3 PS3s anyway!

people selling for a profit are dumb since all they care about is cash and not their life, this is why sony fans are stupid. and im glad im never supporting sony again

people selling for a profit are dumb since all they care about is cash and not their life, this is why sony fans are stupid. and im glad im never supporting sony again

so if you're a sony fan you buy a ps3 then sell it for more? that is *slightly* flawed

Sure you may not agree with him selling the PS3, but he didn't deserve to get shot :/

Yes, he did.

If he's stupid enough to carry 2500 dollars on him in cash, refuse to pay a shotgun wielding attacker, told the employees to give his wallet to his friends so he could still get a PS3, and said "For some reason I wasn't thinking about my wound, I was all about those PlayStations" then he has serious priority issues and is obviously an idiot. People like him should be shot.

You guys are unbelievable in your thinking.

I'm surprised no one suggested a legal defense fund for the guys that did the shooting. After all the PS3 guy did have it coming to him didn't he?

:no:

Whatever.

I really don't think he should've gotten shot, if he wanted to stand up for himself, then that's him, end of story.

Just thank God that he survived. I don't think everybody could survive a shotgun blast to the chest.

Yes, he did.

If he's stupid enough to carry 2500 dollars on him in cash, refuse to pay a shotgun wielding attacker, told the employees to give his wallet to his friends so he could still get a PS3, and said "For some reason I wasn't thinking about my wound, I was all about those PlayStations" then he has serious priority issues and is obviously an idiot. People like him should be shot.

Kind of what I was thinking (except about being shot); if $2500 and a console are more important than your safety, you are more than a couple of screws loose. Sucks that he got shot, but he should've just given up the money.