Linux

I am a complete n00b 2 linux so I am asking for a little help.

I have 2 copies on disk. One is Mandrake 8.0 and Suse 7.3. Which one is the better and why?

Also my internet connection sadly is a Dial up.......even worse it's AOL. My modem is one I took out of a dell. So I was wondering if it's even possible 2 get connected 2 the net with linux via dial up?

Both are a bit outdated, anyway you can try both distros and find which one suites you better.

If you have a winmodem most likely it will not work(but I have it working on my system :rolleyes: )

As a linux "n00b", you're going to a have a hell of a time getting linux to dial out with a winmodem, let alone using AOL, which is damn near impossible. Seems to me like you've got some choices to be making.

Try to start off with Redhat.

Its could be a good primer for you to kick start it.

Getting a dialup 2 work is pain in the ass when i picked Linux few years ago.

Now...i using cable modem. Just a nic card..hahaha pointing to my Linysys router gateway.

Try www.linuxnewbies.org

They hv great stuffs for you to learn what linux really can do for you.

Mandrake distro is a little bit different. But fundamentally. Both r almost the same.

Bear in mind you going to have to learn how to do many things...

install packages..

compile kernel

patch kernel

compile s/w

Its fun...

:D

i would go for Linux mandrake 8.0 then if its ur 1st time to linux, easy to setup and install i think but then i have never tried Suse, :(.. i have no idea about this Dial up because i always conected over the netowk and the main machine had Windows xp on so i was ok :)..

If it's a Winmodem, swap it for a normal hardware modem ASAP or get broadband! Also, I recommend that instead of using Mandrake 8.0, buy 9.0 or get it off a friend who has Broadband! 9.0 can do nearly everything Windows can, but I'm unsure about its winmodem capabilities, since I'm on ADSL. Red Hat 8.0 should be good as well.

Thanks every one. yeah i found little packages that came with the suse to set up dial up internet, but it doesn't reconize the modem. Any ways i like the look and feel of Mandrake but I used to have a geforce 2 that worked great. But know I have a Geforce 3 ti 200 and it does not work at all, after I get past the login screen it freeze. Suse seems to work I just need to download and burn 2 cd a copy of the rpm for my video card and then figure out how to get it to work.

Is linux capable of reading NTFS, for example if will read info of a portion of my drive that is formated fat32 but not NTFS

Depending on how the kernel was compiled, it usually *READS* ntfs. (You can recompile your kernel and add write support but it's extremely dangerous. I lost my partition table doing this once.)

Thanks every one. yeah i found little packages that came with the suse to set up dial up internet, but it doesn't reconize the modem. Any ways i like the look and feel of Mandrake but I used to have a geforce 2 that worked great. But know I have a Geforce 3 ti 200 and it does not work at all, after I get past the login screen it freeze. Suse seems to work I just need to download and burn 2 cd a copy of the rpm for my video card and then figure out how to get it to work.

Is linux capable of reading NTFS, for example if will read info of a portion of my drive that is formated fat32 but not NTFS

Did you use the latest NVidia drivers for your GeForce3 Ti 200 when you tried Mandrake 9.0? Cause I got my GeForce4 MX 420 working in it without any problems. As for the NTFS reading, go to the /etc/fstab file and add the following line:

/dev/hda1* /mnt/disk ntfs umask=002 0 0

From there, give it a reboot and you can access it by going to /mnt/disk.

* This will depend on where your NTFS partition is stored. If it's on the primary master, it's hda. Primary slaves are represented as hdb, secondary masters are represented as hdc, and secondary slaves are represented as hdd. That number at the end will determine if it's a primary or a secondary partition. Primary partitions are usually from 1 - 4. Secondary drives are from 5 - 16.

If u owned a Winmodem. Forget it. Its wont work under Linux.

Winmodem are designed for Microsoft OS only. Because some modulating/demodulating features are scripted in the card's window driver. Thus those tasks r throw to the CPU.

Linux unable to emulate such features...

So if u want to use a dialup. Get an external modem likes US Robotics/3Com 56K. They should work just fine.

NTFS can be configured to read NTFS partition. As for read i heard there is a s/w that can enable u to do it.

http://www.freshmeat.org

use a search engine to find "ntfs"

U might find what u want.

Thanks every one you have all been so great. I will check out that linmodems it looks great site. I have decided to use SuSe 7.3 Mandrake detects my video card and then stops. I know I can fix it using just the text version, but I have already got suse all up and running.