Major PS3 Firmware Update Coming March '07

Despite all Sony's talk about how the PlayStation 3 is supposed to be a media hub, there's been very little to show for it. We have standard trailers and movie playback, but even the Xbox 360 can do that. But come March '07, to coincide with the Europe launch, the PS3 is going to get a major firmware update. SCE's VP of Technology says there could be a utility to download third-party operating systems direction from the PS3. In addition, there are even more gaming features planned to be added with the update. Perhaps more PSP + PS3 integration? What we'd like is to just be able to play DivX and XviD files off a burned DVD directly from the PS3's interface. Too much to ask?

source.pngGizmodo

I think they need to focus primarily on the issue with resolution settings, and upscaling/downscaling. And hopefully come out with something before March. I'm all for media capabilities of course (I love WMV streaming on the 360), but there are more important aspects of the PS3 that need tweaking (and overall fixes).

Hopefully that does end up happening!

I think they need to focus primarily on the issue with resolution settings, and upscaling/downscaling. And hopefully come out with something before March. I'm all for media capabilities of course (I love WMV streaming on the 360), but there are more important aspects of the PS3 that need tweaking (and overall fixes).

Hopefully that does end up happening!

I think a recent Japanese update had a fix with HD resolutions. I could be wrong though. :laugh:

Third Party OS's == Win. :p

Why Doubtful? Can't Cell + RSX emulate a 233Mhz Machine? :rofl:

It doesn't "need" to emulate a PS2 since it has a hardware PS2 chip directly inside the PS3. However, NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING, will "improve" the textures that are already in the game without replacing the current textures, which won't happen.

All this backwards compatibilty is crap imo - I saved my games from the PS1 so I could play them on the PS2..

But I never played them again once i got the PS2..

Sequels of the PS1 games came out on the PS2 so there was no need to play the old ones..

No fun

I used the backwards compatibility on my ps2 to play all the great psx games coming out towards the end of it's lifecycle. That tided me over until better ps2 games started showing up almost a year after the launch. I never had the original psx so I basically played all the games I missed out on. I still play through ff7 and mgs from time to time. So it is a good feature to have imho. If the xbox 360 had full backwards compatibility I would've bought one at launch. But it didn't support the games I missed out on that I wanted to play so now I am waiting until atleast two games that I want to play come out on the console. Since gears of war is out, I will buy one if lost planet gets good reviews, and if blue dragon and lost odyssey turn out as good as I think they might.