Sony talks PS3 improvements, PS4 timetable

Sony talks PS3 improvements, PS4 timetable

Exec tells Aussie tech site that the electronics giant will make another console after 2010; PS3 will see system upgrades, new peripheral support.

Late last month, executive shake-ups at Sony prompted one Japanese analyst to make a bold prediction: Sony was moving out of the gaming-hardware business and focusing solely on software. "I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4," said Nomura Securities' Yuta Sakurai.

Sony was quick to rebut the claim, with a rep telling GameSpot, "I think it would be rather shortsighted for anyone to predict there might not be a next generation of PlayStation product."

As for when to expect a new Sony console, one exec claims that the company's fans shouldn't expect the next PlayStation any sooner than the typical console life cycle allows. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe vice president of technology Paul Holman reportedly told Australian tech site Smarthouse that Sony will launch a PlayStation 4, but not any sooner than 2010.

Until then, Sony will continue to upgrade the PlayStation 3 through firmware updates that will allow "for the introduction of third-party applications and hardware such as interactive controllers similar to Nintendo's Wii..." the site reported. The PS3's current controller, the Sixaxis, already has motion- and tilt-sensing capability.

The PS3 may also come with a keyboard and mouse in the future, be able to download third-party operating systems, and become "as much a media center for the home as it is a gaming machine," said Holman. His words echo statements made by Sony executives that the PS3's online store will offer downloadable music and video content, much like iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace currently do.

Requests for comment from Sony were unanswered as of press time.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Posted Dec 6, 2006 1:16 pm CT

Story from GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162787.html

Copyright ?2006 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Eh?

Did i read before the PS3 came out they wanted it to last 10 years?

Now its not even half that estimate, typical Sony.....

This has been mentioned over and over. When Sony eventually bring out the PS4 the PS3 will still be supported up until its 10th year, this is what they mean when they say they want it to last 10 years. It does not mean that you won't see Playstation 4 for 10 years.

Ok... lol. Well, should we expect to see a NEW HD format soon?

And aren't they losing like crapload of money from each console being sold? When are they going to turn profitable?

Eh?

Did i read before the PS3 came out they wanted it to last 10 years?

Now its not even half that estimate, typical Sony.....

How many years has the PS2 been in the market? 5-6? Support is still far from over for it.

i'll believe it when i see it, sony. they never seem to hold true to anything they promise (except the fact that they actually release a console they're talking about... and i guess when they say its going to be awesome and trump any other console, you can infer that as meaning its going to suck balls, have a whole lot of problems, and be owned by a console that's been out for over a year now.. but that's all you can hold them true to doing)

How many years has the PS2 been in the market? 5-6? Support is still far from over for it.

Im not talking about the PS2, Sony specifically said they wanted the PS3 to last 10 years, they didnt say 5 years then launch another console but still support PS3, and if you think Sony are going to support PS2 for another 5 years your sorely mistaken.

Aren't some of these statements a bit daft for sony to be making, seeing as the PS3 isn't released in all teritories yet?

They were responding to the analyst who said "I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4".

Aren't some of these statements a bit daft for sony to be making, seeing as the PS3 isn't released in all teritories yet?

Recently, when hasn't Sony been daft? :p

Sony specifically said they wanted the PS3 to last 10 years, they didnt say 5 years then launch another console but still support PS3.

PS2 is being supported with games, the PS3 is out. That's what they are talking about. A company can support two different products. Nowhere did they say anything about PS3 would be the only console they would support during those 10 years. They also said this about the PS1 and the PS2 also. Plus the Ps2 was released in March 2000 and their are still plenty of games coming out for it next year. 2007-2000=7 years. 7? if you count towards the end of the year. So why would Sony need to support the PS2 for five more years to make 10?

It's funny though, the PS3 is barely out of the door and they are already planning. Even worse, it's just over 3 years for their next target date :s

It's funny though, the PS3 is barely out of the door and they are already planning. Even worse, it's just over 3 years for their next target date :s

there is a huge difference between targeting for a 2010 launch and saying that it won't be released before 2010.

It's funny though, the PS3 is barely out of the door and they are already planning.

That's not really uncommon for developers. Xbox 360 planning and development started just after Xbox hit stores from what I heard. Developers usually don't waste time at least starting to plan on their next system or game no matter how soon it's been since a previous launch. They have the people to do so, so they aren't really taking a hit to supporting their current console.

-Spenser

The next Xbox was already in planning when the 360 was released.. So this isn't something specific to Sony.

It's a good thing they are planning ahead. Better than waiting. They have enough people that they could designate a few who's job it is to do this kind of thing. Better to do that then wait a couple of years and realize you are too late to get it out in time.

You don't think MS is planning the Xbox 3 right now?

I don't think Sony intends on releasing the PS4 in 2010, but they just might end up doing so depending on how things work out this generation and what Microsoft's next move is. MS already made Sony attempt to do a worldwide PS3 release, among other things, with the PS3.

Edit: I guess a lot of people beat me to my first point. :)

That's not really uncommon for developers. Xbox 360 planning and development started just after Xbox hit stores from what I heard. Developers usually don't waste time at least starting to plan on their next system or game no matter how soon it's been since a previous launch. They have the people to do so, so they aren't really taking a hit to supporting their current console.

-Spenser

They just usually don't announce the development to the public.

The problem I see is that people are going to be putting down $600 for a system, which could be replaced with a better one in 3 or so years. I know that Microsoft have probably been planning ahead, but they ain't giving is dates or anything when the next system will happen. I thought I would of seen this news a year or two after the PS3 was launched.. Though I ain't trying to be a Sony hater, just surprised, that's all. I've lost confidence with Sony's decisions, I just don't like the fact Customers could be getting cheated or something.

The problem I see is that people are going to be putting down $600 for a system, which could be replaced with a better one in 3 or so years. I know that Microsoft have probably been planning ahead, but they ain't giving is dates or anything when the next system will happen. I thought I would of seen this news a year or two after the PS3 was launched.. Though I ain't trying to be a Sony hater, just surprised, that's all. I've lost confidence with Sony's decisions, I just don't like the fact Customers could be getting cheated or something.

Microsoft has announced that a successor to the 360 is in the works. It's a fact of life in technology both hardware and software. That new phone you got, a newer one with more features is on the way, that new video card or cpu, a faster one is on the way, that new console a newer one is coming is 5 years or so. Some people may wait a little while till another version comes out but they will be the ones missing out on the fun while the current one is out. I think one of the reasons why Sony came out with this info so early was due to the reports that there would be no PS4. Plus it's not like that gave a firm date, just sometime after 2009. Waiting 3 years or more for a console to come out while missing out on the current one is a dang long wait anyway.