Sony Patents LED, Motion-Tracking Controller

12.14.06---sony-patented-controller.jpg

While the PS4 might be "just around the corner," and Nintendo's Wiimote is sure to give you all the (potentially dangerous) controller flinging fits you can handle, it appears that Sony's giving the whole "controller innovation" thing another go. Sure, Sony's faced its fair share of lawsuits (hasn't everyone?), and had noticeable trouble with Dual Shock in particular, but the less-than-revolutionary SIXAXIS controller is apparently lacking a heavily-desired feature: motion tracking. We're fairly certain that Sony is watching its toes to make sure the next lawsuit to hit doesn't come from the big N, but its latest patent describes a "handheld controller having detectable elements for tracking purposes," which admittedly sounds awfully familiar. The design looks simply like a revamped version of the current SIXAXIS, with embedded LEDs on the front of the device and an "external camera (Sony's sensor bar patent?) to capture the movements" of the user. After combing through the patent jargon, there's little doubt that the goal here is to deliver a controller that allows gamers to maneuver and react with more than just button mashes, but whether or not this development will actually be realized (or if games / lawyers will end up supporting it) remains to be seen.

source.pngEngadget

well from what I can tell they are taking a different approach so it shouldnt come down to a lawsuit...and if it does it will more than likly be similar to the one that nintendo is in...same type of tech different approach (nintendo= IR other copany= RF)

I don't think this means a new controller...

It sounds more like Sony are bringing out a new camera for the PS3 (Eyetoy 2?) and it will be able to recognise movements of different controllers depending on what LED is lit on the sixaxis.

The problem comes from if nitnendos patent covers the led tracking.

all Nitnendos patent has to cover is the IR Tracking. So I hope Sony knows what they are doing since info on Nitnendos patent hasnt been released yet.