PS3 Launch Outsells Xbox 360 Launch

"That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched."

They sure about that? I could have sworn the PS2 launched with many more units.

Sold to stores doesnt mean sold to consumers. I don't recall seeing a stockpile of 360's until many months after the 360 launch - Just an observation, flame me if you will.

I saw 6 sitting in a cage at Target in the middle of the day... A friend told me the next day he saw 5. Just an observation.

Wow, after all the word about them not shipping many consoles, and they said they've sold 1 million? Either people were lying about how many Sony had planned to ship (underexaggerating) or Sony's lying about this -- and by "lying" I just mean stating it in a way that's misleading.

Either way, I'll assume it's the truth. Nice job by Sony -- especially at a higher price range.

well looking at the sales numbers, Wii which was let out later is ahead for sales, so I don't know what people are saying about sony being the fastest selling console... But, it defintetly is no slouch, unless nintendo can sustain interest with good games being released then unfortunately (in my opinion) sony will jump into second place.

I think they're classifying sold as 'sold into retail' like Microsoft did for their 10 million number. Actual units sold to consumers might be around 700-800k. We'll see once the NPD numbers are out.

As a few other people mention, Sony's figures come from the number of consoles sold to retail, not the number of consoles sold onto people. This is the same system that microsoft use too:

http://news.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029682,49285928,00.htm

Getting back on topic though, this is pretty good news for Sony if it is there fastest selling console. Next up (finally) is Europe.

This is great news for Sony, once again they have shown us how strong the PlayStation name is. However, how many of those sold PS3s are actually one owner? (as in, how many of them have not been bought by one person and then sold off to another at a stupidly high price on EBay?) while I know at the end of the day it doesn't matter, a console sold is a console sold and Sony get thier money...I'm just curious?

Ok, I knew I wasn't on crack, and apparently Sony is. I remembered MS saying they had sold 1.5 million 360's by December 31st 2005. So I did a quick search and found a news article on it if ya don't remember.

We sold 1.5 million Xbox 360 consoles in Q2 (i.e., from Nov 22 to Dec 31), with 900,000 consoles in North America, 500,000 consoles in Europe, and the 100,000 in Japan. That number actually would have been 1,500,001 if we didn’t give one console to Paris Hilton.

Source

Another article about it (which is what the Xbox 360 wiki info cites) is here.

And considering you couldn't find 360's on shelves in America (which got 900,000 of those) on December 31st, I'd say no matter how you cut it, the Xbox 360 launch did far better.

-Spenser

Ok, I knew I wasn't on crack, and apparently Sony is. I remembered MS saying they had sold 1.5 million 360's by December 31st 2005. So I did a quick search and found a news article on it if ya don't remember.

Source

And considering you couldn't find 360's on shelves in America (which got 900,000 of those) on December 31st, I'd say no matter how you cut it, the Xbox 360 launch did far better.

-Spenser

Well at first glance it actually confirms that the PS3 did do (slightly better) with 1 million PS3s to 900,000 Xbox 360s in the same time period. However, since that also include units sold in Europe (which the PS3 is currently not available in) you got an extra 500,000 units on top of the 900,000 in NA, so I suppose you could sorta cheat and say the 360 did do better, but maybe I'm talking crap :unsure: ?

Well at first glance it actually confirms that the PS3 did do (slightly better) with 1 million PS3s to 900,000 Xbox 360s in the same time period. However, since that also include units sold in Europe (which the PS3 is currently not available in) you got an extra 500,000 units on top of the 900,000 in NA, so I suppose you could sorta cheat and say the 360 did do better, but maybe I'm talking crap :unsure: ?

So the difference is 900,000 to 1 million. Not so much better, I think. And still, the 360 was sold out all that time. The PS3 isn't.

-Spenser

Source

-Spenser

According to NPD Xbox 360 sold 608,000 in 2005.

Anyway, with 1 million 'sold' in US and around 500k in Japan, that would put it at 1.5 million too, except without Europe.

does it matter? i dont care if the sega mega drive decided to come back and sell 10 billion consoles in one night...as long as the good games keep coming and i enjoy my 360 then sony nintendo or sega can sell as many of whatever they like as much as they want and i wouldnt give a toss!

people take this thing far too serious...its just a games console...neither one is really any "better" then the other its all just opinion!

There are numbers that NPD doesn't get to include...

Plus, you still have the fact that in NA, the PS3 isn't, by far, sold out. So they sold 1 million to retail, whoo. The NPD number is a consumer purchase number (again, MS says they sold 900,000 to retail, and you couldn't find any in retail, so I don't know where that other 300,000 went...). I would be willing to bet the PS3 hasn't sold much more than that 360 number to consumers.

-Spenser

There are numbers that NPD doesn't get to include...

Plus, you still have the fact that in NA, the PS3 isn't, by far, sold out. So they sold 1 million to retail, whoo. The NPD number is a consumer purchase number (again, MS says they sold 900,000 to retail, and you couldn't find any in retail, so I don't know where that other 300,000 went...). I would be willing to bet the PS3 hasn't sold much more than that 360 number to consumers.

-Spenser

Maybe that other 300,000 was still on it's way to the shops, so it was sold to the retailers before the new year, but arrived after.

Who cares, seriously, if Sony can sell something so stupidly expensive as much as they have then they have a licence to print money, they could slap Sony name on a shiny turd and it would sell well.

Talk about sheep.

Who cares, seriously, if Sony can sell something so stupidly expensive as much as they have then they have a licence to print money, they could slap Sony name on a shiny turd and it would sell well.

Talk about sheep.

Perhaps people wanted to buy it based on the product itself. Same could be said for other companies too, no point just targeting just one.

If people wanted to buy it then that's their choice. Doesn't mean they are sheep.

Sony today announced that they have sold 1 million Playstation 3s in North America since the launch of the console six weeks ago.

That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched.

Microsoft sold 600,000 of their Xbox 360s from their November launch to the second week in January.

"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming." ... "Reaching the one million mark for PS3 is the first of many major milestones for us as we head into a new year. Even more impressive, is that we were able to accomplish this feat while successfully managing two other gaming platforms--PS2 and PSP," said Tretton. "With three PlayStation platforms now available to gamers, 2007 will be about software and delivering innovative, new experiences and award-winning franchises to consumers, both through retail and through our online PLAYSTATION Network."

Wow. Maybe all of those PS3s sitting around have more to do with ramped up production than dwindling desire. Brian Crecente

LAS VEGAS, January 8, 2007 -At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2007 in Las Vegas, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that more than one million units of its recently launched PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system have been sold in to the retail channel in North America. The company successfully achieved this milestone by the end of the 2006 calendar year, just six weeks after the product was introduced on November 17, 2006.

PS3 has been selling-out at retail outlets across North America since it was launched. This high consumer demand drove the PS3 to reach the one-million mark before its predecessors, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PS one game console - both systems have shipped more than 213 million units of hardware and more than 2.1 billion pieces of software worldwide.

"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming."

PS3 wasn't the only hot gift this holiday season, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system continues to enjoy record-breaking sales in North America. In the first quarter of 2007, PS2 will continue to fuel industry growth with the highly anticipated release of the MLB 07 The Show and God of War 2 titles.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/ps3-launc...unch-226742.php

:unsure::

1 million sold, but how many actually went to the gamers?

I wouldn't be surprised if 70% of them were bought by people who wanted to sell them on ebay.

They've still been sold.