Guys voids PS3 warranty for using generic component cables

You just reminded me that the ability to understand analogies in a discussion board was completely lost.

Oh please. I didn't remind you anything. It never was lost. I got what you were saying for crying out loud.

You want me to sound like I'm implying something, but I'm not. But in the end, say whatever floats your boat. Everyone deserves a little bit of fake happiness.

I, for one, would never buy cheap products for something that cost me a good amount of money. If I was able to spend such an amount, I should be able to spend the amount necessary to buy the best for it.

Go buy a Ferrari, and put in some crappy tires. When you crash and you go to reclaim the warranty to the Ferrari dealer, tell them the same argument you use with consoles. I'm sure you'll leave on a new Ferrari the same day.

You're missing the point...even if he had used high quality cables from say Monster ( :pinch: ) he would still end up with a voided warranty. It's a goddamn component cable man...not power supply or something like that.

common procedure nowadays. my little sister got a logitech zen vision. she ain't allowed to charge it with a generic cable/adapter. it must be the logitech one.

I, for one, would never buy cheap products for something that cost me a good amount of money. If I was able to spend such an amount, I should be able to spend the amount necessary to buy the best for it.

Go buy a Ferrari, and put in some crappy tires. When you crash and you go to reclaim the warranty to the Ferrari dealer, tell them the same argument you use with consoles. I'm sure you'll leave on a new Ferrari the same day.

Stupid analogy. Your assuming that because I can afford a PS3 I can afford expensive cables? Is it that black and white? What if the PS3 was a gift? What If I have been saving for a very very long time just to afford the base unit?

How is your Ferrari by the way? Tires alright?

Stupid analogy. Your assuming that because I can afford a PS3 I can afford expensive cables? Is it that black and white? What if the PS3 was a gift? What If I have been saving for a very very long time just to afford the base unit?

nah cheap **** ferrari, put crappy tires on.. all my wheel spinning and donuts wore the pieces of crap down..

Few problems with this.. First, there's no possible way a video cable can cause a console to break.. Why? It's only a cable that sends a signal from the console to your television, if it's defective or low quality it simply won't work correctly, not cause a failure in the console.

Second, there's no possible way any technician will know that you used a 3rd party video cable UNLESS you specifically tell them.

Third, it doesn't make sense that Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo would use this as a warranty-breaker, because of the reasons I've already spelled out. There is no way from a technical perspective that a video cable would break your console.

I agree with this post.

This is ****ing stupid, a console is broke and is blamed on a pair of cables not made by Sony? I bet they don't stick that warning on the front of the PS3 box, do they?

Few problems with this.. First, there's no possible way a video cable can cause a console to break.. Why? It's only a cable that sends a signal from the console to your television, if it's defective or low quality it simply won't work correctly, not cause a failure in the console.

Second, there's no possible way any technician will know that you used a 3rd party video cable UNLESS you specifically tell them.

Third, it doesn't make sense that Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo would use this as a warranty-breaker, because of the reasons I've already spelled out. There is no way from a technical perspective that a video cable would break your console.

So you think a short in a bad proprietary connector is impossible?

Woah, here I thought that everyone's complain about the PS3 was its price, hence it only being accessible to rich people. Since you're rich, you should afford the best. Being cheap ain't always good.

I agree with this post.

This is ****ing stupid, a console is broke and is blamed on a pair of cables not made by Sony? I bet they don't stick that warning on the front of the PS3 box, do they?

No, but they do print it in the User's Manual, just like in any other product manual made by every other company.

So you think a short in a bad proprietary connector is impossible?

No one will read this except me.

So should I buy a Sony TV to go with my PS3 just to be sure that I'll still get a warranty?

What about a Sony carpet? Or a Sony desk...

Unless you'll stick the TV inside the PS3, the carpet inside the BD drive and the desk over the PS3, then yes, you should (just in case you know).

It's ****ing stupid.

It's like saying your Car engine died because someone replaced your broken sun roof.

Welcome to the real world, hope you don't kill yourself because of the pressure.

Oh and yes, some car companies are like that. Let a crappy mechanic mess with your car because you were being cheap, and when you go crying to them, they'll turn you around.

It's ****ing stupid.

It's like saying your Car engine died because someone replaced your broken sun roof.

Yeah last time I checked Cars were electrical goods :whistle:

Whether its unfair or not it protects Sony. For example I just replaced my PSP battery with an unofficial 3600mAh internal battery (Sony's official is 1800mAh). Now if that battery malfunctions and takes my PSP down (maybe because its cheaply made? i did buy it for ?9) then its shafting Sony to spend money fixing PSP's that they shouldn't have to.

Theres soo many unreliable cheaply made 3rd party accessories out there that are higher risk than official products.

Do Microsoft have similar policies may I ask?

i dont think there is a generic brand of component cables.. it comes with them.

but when i spoke to the tech support guy about my system failing, they never asked me any questions relating the type of cables or controllers im using.

Yeah last time I checked Cars were electrical goods :whistle:

Whether its unfair or not it protects Sony. For example I just replaced my PSP battery with an unofficial 3600mAh internal battery (Sony's official is 1800mAh). Now if that battery malfunctions and takes my PSP down (maybe because its cheaply made? i did buy it for ?9) then its shafting Sony to spend money fixing PSP's that they shouldn't have to.

Theres soo many unreliable cheaply made 3rd party accessories out there that are higher risk than official products.

Cars have electrical componets, no?

Woah, here I thought that everyone's complain about the PS3 was its price, hence it only being accessible to rich people. Since you're rich, you should afford the best. Being cheap ain't always good.

As usual most of your posts never make sense. What part of my post told you I was rich? Try reading posts rather than quoting them.

sry but dont PS3s come with Component cables? it was HDMI that you had to purchase rite?

cuz my ps2 came with component. (conmponent are those white red and yellow things rite)

and how much do component cables cost MAX from sony ($20)...yeah that is prety expensive for component...for HDMI maybe but...component?

its like those Lexmark and Dell printers that are lying around in stores just waiting to be picked up for free. they are originally free but the usb cable costs like $25!. i picked one up from my friend since he didnt need it anymore.

common procedure nowadays. my little sister got a logitech zen vision. she ain't allowed to charge it with a generic cable/adapter. it must be the logitech one.

To be honest, a power cord is way different from a component cable. I think it's quite obvious that a stupid component won't make your PS3 explode, but in all seriousness, a generic power cord with messed up specs has a pretty high potential to do the above. Especially if the person doesn't know anything about amps or volts.

sry but dont PS3s come with Component cables? it was HDMI that you had to purchase rite?

cuz my ps2 came with component. (conmponent are those white red and yellow things rite)

and how much do component cables cost MAX from sony ($20)...yeah that is prety expensive for component...for HDMI maybe but...component?

its like those Lexmark and Dell printers that are lying around in stores just waiting to be picked up for free. they are originally free but the usb cable costs like $25!. i picked one up from my friend since he didnt need it anymore.

Those are composite, not component. Huge difference really.

Official component cables cost about $25 http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802600

and as you can see, they're backordered (as of now from that one place... whatever). So you could buy MadCatz brand cables for $50! http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802522

For myself, I'm a Nintendo guy (no interest in PS3) but I am also getting 3rd party component cables for the Wii. I'm not spending the $30 for the Nintendo ones though, I'm spending $10 for some 3rd party cables. I totally feel for this guy is what I'm saying (and let's not get into the Wii vs. PS3 discussion, I was just saying where I'm coming from).

I've seen ads for HDMI cables for as low as $6 on the net, but I'm sure the retail cost for Sony ones is closer to what, $50 or $60?

As usual most of your posts never make sense. What part of my post told you I was rich? Try reading posts rather than quoting them.

Since you're not a part of the group everyone, I wasn't talking ABOUT you (I was talking TO you). Big difference between ABOUT and YOU. Try reading posts next time.

Since you're not a part of the group everyone, I wasn't talking ABOUT you (I was talking TO you). Big difference between ABOUT and YOU. Try reading posts next time.

lol! What?! You're joking, right? :rofl: :trout: