Problem playing Metal Gear Solid on PS3

Okay so I'm playing the original Metal Gear Solid on the PS3. I just finished disc 1, and it says insert disc 2. So I swap the discs, and then it says press the start button. I do that, then it says checking, and fades to a black screen. Then nothing happens. I know the disc works because it loads fine when I start it up normally. It's just that I can't start playing from disc 2 itself yet. Is this a problem with the PS3? I checked the official backwards compatibility list and it says no major problems with this game. Can anyone verify if this is a PS3 bug or if I have a bad disc?

It does have some scratches, but nothing much worse than disc 1. The PS3 supposedly also has higher tolerance for scratched discs. I have a PS1 that I could try it on, but I would have to play through the entire first disc again.

Does anyone here have a PS3 and Metal Gear Solid? If so, I could post my game save up to the point where you switch discs and someone could test it out to see if it's a PS3 problem or just with me.