Can 3G phones use normal sim cards?

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm thinking of buying a 6280 and I just want to make sure. Would the 6280 - being a 3G phone - be able to use a non-3G sim card?

Yes. I have an old sim card (+2 yrs old). Got it along with my V600. Years later, I now just baught a n73, inserted same old sim and it worked fine.

Edited by 305

Yes you can. It works the other way too, a 3G SIM card will work in a non-3G phone (obviously not in 3G mode) as they seem to be completely compatible with each other which is good :)

here in the UK there is no such thing as a "3G" SIM card they are just SIM cards. A SIM card from T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange, Virgin, O2 will work on both 3G and 2G phones.

It's the phone itself that determines what it's gonna use. If the 3G signal is strong enough it will always try and use that. If however there is little or no 3G coverage where you happen to be standing, it will revert to 2G and GPRS for data.

here in the UK there is no such thing as a "3G" SIM card they are just SIM cards. A SIM card from T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange, Virgin, O2 will work on both 3G and 2G phones.

It's the phone itself that determines what it's gonna use. If the 3G signal is strong enough it will always try and use that. If however there is little or no 3G coverage where you happen to be standing, it will revert to 2G and GPRS for data.

Yeah this what I thought too. All the SIM does is hold customer information.

I was told when I bought my 3G phone I would need a 3G sim to take full advantage of it...

That doesn't seem to be true though, but I got one just in case...

Well its true for 3g phones there a Usim, thats becausethe SIM App its different For 3g and GSM. Most SImVendors (GEMALTO, GD, Incard, Xponcard, SAGEM and s on) sell dual SIMs which has both applications.

The n73 its a GSM/UMTS phone so it will use the GSM App in a GSM network if no USIM app its Available and the 3g App on a 3g(UMTS) Network

The problem is that if you have a really old SIM (Prior to what its called realease 5) does not containt the USIM application so you wont be able

to authenticate on a 3g network (because all the encryption Alg and Security Schemas are different)

Well I did not want to complicate things too much...but on second though..I have to...a little bit ore...

It depends on your operator configuration, it can choose to allow you to ROAM in the 3g(UMTS) network after you have autenticate in the 2g(GSM).

So from a technologicalstandpoint you would we a GSM user Roaming in 3g so you would authenticate in the GSM HLR (Home Location Register), use the GSM security (Comp128vX) instead of millenage and the new security scheme for 3g.

I hope i did not sound too confusing..

Edited by vjsz