.net Frame Work?

Question

This is a dumb question but I hear people all the time talk about the .NET framework. People talking about how they just got done installing it ect.

Well what is it. And why would a person want it.

and where can I get it from?

Thanks

Long live the 'win

I cannot agree with that statement or the comparison with AOL. Users DO get turned away by such a huge extra download just to run a very small application. One of the appeals of such small programs in their size. I would guess that at present 99% of those who have not already got it would not be willing to install a 20MB framework just to run software that is between 50KB and 1.2MB. Even if the program was amazing, how are they going to justify it until they have tried it? And they cannot do that without the necessary framework. As for AOL - who needs to download it when free AOL CDs are forcefully given out the way they are?

I cannot agree with that statement or the comparison with AOL. Users DO get turned away by such a huge extra download just to run a very small application. One of the appeals of such small programs in their size. I would guess that at present 99% of those who have not already got it would not be willing to install a 20MB framework just to run software that is between 50KB and 1.2MB. Even if the program was amazing, how are they going to justify it until they have tried it? And they cannot do that without the necessary framework. As for AOL - who needs to download it when free AOL CDs are forcefully given out the way they are?

who ever said, producing cd's wasn't an option.

the .net framework is making large changes too. they are working on porting it to the unix/linux pbased platforms, which means we write our apps on one system we go to another recompile it and boom, we are good to go again. it's a great thing sure, it's 20 megs in size but it's well worth it's size for me since I do alot of multiplatform work currently.

the .net framework is making large changes too. they are working on porting it to the unix/linux pbased platforms, which means we write our apps on one system we go to another recompile it and boom, we are good to go again. it's a great thing sure, it's 20 megs in size but it's well worth it's size for me since I do alot of multiplatform work currently.

yeah and .NET is a halla lot better than JAVA.

anyway, once a user installs the framework, its there to stay, its a 1-time thing. (don't reformat, or uninstall it) and you'll be fine.

you take it for granted, but all the dll's and librarys you need to run todays applicaitons are already on your pc, you don't need to d/l them, if they weren't then you'd have to...

in future versions of Windows, this will be included, therefore removing the responsibility to the developer to deploy the framework with the application.

in future versions of Windows, this will be included, therefore removing the responsibility to the developer to deploy the framework with the application.

It will be when most of our users have upgraded to such a future version, and only then, that we consider developing on the .net platform.

In which case you'll be missing the boat. You can include the framework with your application, just whack it on the cd and hook that up to the install process. .Net is a truly wonderful thing that a lot of people talk about but most don't understand... It dumps on Java from a great height :D

In which case you'll be missing the boat. You can include the framework with your application, just whack it on the cd and hook that up to the install process. .Net is a truly wonderful thing that a lot of people talk about but most don't understand... It dumps on Java from a great height :D

Indeed it does. I've been programming for .NET for some time now, though only the last few months have I been working on anything serious with it (it does take some time to get used to a new way of programming). MUCH faster than Java.

I don't know why some developers are so squeamish about using it. IMHO, the advantages far outweigh asking users to download the Framework.

And if you make something worthwhile, they'll download the Framework. I average between 500-1000 downloads a day... and most of those people probably had to download the Framework first.

--

Danny Smurf

A sad tale of the forbidden fruit.

I am sorry I ever started with .NET. I made an app and virtually nobody downloaded it cuz it required the framework. But now I can't get off .NET. I wouldn't even dream of going back to Windows API or MFC. .NET is an addiction worse than smoking. Once you taste the forbidden fruit you're stuck to it. I hate this because if I hadn't known about .NET all this time I would still be developing in Win32 and getting many more users. It's a sad tale. Moral: Stick with Win32 until .NET is integrated into Windows and over 50% of your users have that new version of Windows.

I am sorry I ever started with .NET. I made an app and virtually nobody downloaded it cuz it required the framework. But now I can't get off .NET. I wouldn't even dream of going back to Windows API or MFC. .NET is an addiction worse than smoking. Once you taste the forbidden fruit you're stuck to it. I hate this because if I hadn't known about .NET all this time I would still be developing in Win32 and getting many more users. It's a sad tale. Moral: Stick with Win32 until .NET is integrated into Windows and over 50% of your users have that new version of Windows.

If you stayed on the classic way of programming for windows, next year you will wish you started on .NET :p

What, the .NET package is 25mb? many people already have it, and those who dont can download it. If you are making programs for n00bies, then I can see not using it (yet) but if people know howto download a file and you can explain why your program uses it, I am sure they will get it (if the program is any good) :p

Well, you need to think about it this way...

While it may be more convenient for you and your users in the short term to program for Win32, you're basically sidelining yourself. Love it or hate it, .NET IS the future of application development on Windows. Why? Because Microsoft makes Windows and they say so. Win32 compatibility will surely be with us for at least the next Windows release or two, but it's a dead end. Microsoft is pushing .NET with developers, and it's eventually going to convert its entire program line over to that platform as well. Which means, one day (and it's probably not as far away as you think), your Win32 app isn't going to work on the latest version of Windows.

And (speaking from experience here), it's NOT as easy as Microsoft says to convert a Win32 app to .NET. It's quite a lot of work. So, programming for Win32 now will be a headache later.

So basically, you can either endure a small user base now because your users don't want to download the Framework, or you can endure a nonexistant user base in a few years because your app no longer works properly.

But besides all that, as you said, .NET programming is very addictive. And fun. :) The one thing a lot of people don't consider is their own experience in programming. They get so caught up in their users and download numbers and such that they forget that they should be enjoying themselves as well.

--

Danny Smurf

Just to let every on know I have downloaded it. Thanks for the insight full post's

Was on dial up took almost 5 hours. I downloaded it because I have noticed several programs that require it or suggest that you have it. for example Neotweak.

Apparently there are roumours that Longhorn is going to use a .NET API rather than the Win32 API which would make .NET apps FAR FAR FAR more powerful because they wont have to go through a middle step to be translated into Win32 API compatible calls, so performance of .NET apps will double at least.

Just something to consider. If they dont do it for Longhorn anyway they are pretty sure to do it for the next version of windows after that. They have already coded Windows MCE with parts of C#/.NET (though thats just a modified WinXP so it still uses the Win32 API) so it looks like a lot of Longhorn will be done this way too.

Apparently there are roumours that Longhorn is going to use a .NET API rather than the Win32 API which would make .NET apps FAR FAR FAR more powerful because they wont have to go through a middle step to be translated into Win32 API compatible calls, so performance of .NET apps will double at least.

Just something to consider. If they dont do it for Longhorn anyway they are pretty sure to do it for the next version of windows after that. They have already coded Windows MCE with parts of C#/.NET (though thats just a modified WinXP so it still uses the Win32 API) so it looks like a lot of Longhorn will be done this way too.

Well... ish, yes.

I think you're a bit confused about what the API is. It's the "Application Programming Interface." Meaning the part that developers see and use. The actual underlying Windows code is (and always will be) Win32 code, because it has to interface with the hardware, and .NET can't do that. .NET will always be a layer between the base of Windows and .NET applications.

What they mean by the API being written in .NET is that the focus on the programming interface is going to be on .NET. In the past, languages other than C++ always lagged Windows releases because Windows APIs (which have been written in C++) had to be given a wrapper class or a wrapper COM object or some other middleman for each new API function. What they've basically done is replace all the different middlemen with a single one... .NET. Any .NET-enabled language (read: any language that counts) will now be able to immediately use any new APIs, because new APIs are going to be added directly to the Framework (in addition to being added to the underlying native Windows code). Since there's only one wrap, it'll be done right away by Microsoft, and everyone can use it.

This doesn't make .NET more powerful, but it makes everyone more productive (even the poor slobs using Visual Basic).

--

Danny Smurf

Err applications writen in visual studio .net maybe..
Common Language Runtime
so think of it as a VB runtime library.

Overnet, the new serverless edonkey needs the .net framework.

And incedently, installing the .net framework for some reason f*cked bf1942, after 10minutes online it reboots the pc. Didnt before I installed .net. Grrr.

so thats why my pc was f"@ked now i know i will never install

that sh@? any more the only thing i did was giving me random

bluescreens thanx for that microsoft hmmm :angry::