Mac Emulator For Pc?

hello everyone, i burrowed a MAC OS X cd from a friend and was wondering if there is any way i can run it on my pc. I know that u can't do it with vmware or with vurtual pc,...does any one know of a mac emulator i can run to install this???? or is this totally not possible?

Looks like xp remotely connecting to an os x box.

you can't run os x on x86 hardware, sorry.

Why not...???

I succesfully run Mac OS 8.1 using Basilisk II emulator.... over WinXP...

I just a matter of time... if is not already done yet.... "sorry..."... :p

Actually according to numerous stories, Apple has a contigency plan using AMD processors and AMD based boxes have been spotted welded shut running MAC OSX.

It can be done!!!!

I was working with a few guys, this is what we did... We ripped out the ROM chip form a PowerMac G3 and ripped the code to a software version of chip. When OS 7-9 tries booting up it actually looks to the ROM file for instruction, sorta like DOS needing command.com. We modified the ROM file to make calls to an Intel processor instead of a Motorola processor. The result: OS 9.2 ran great on the Pentium 2 400mhz. It actually ran faster than Windows 98. The problem was that there were no drivers for our hardware, to the OS was basically uselesson our PC except to look really funny. This is not an emulation, OS 9 ran nativle on the PC though it was not as stable due to a poor conversion of the ROM file on our part.

OS X is a different story, OS X does not make calls to the ROM file since OS X is a true opporating system. OS X is mad up of a number of layers (Darwin, Cococa, Carbon, Open GL, QuickTime, and Quartz. Darwin has been converted since t is open source. Open GL is basically convertes as is QuickTime. The difficult part will be converting Cocoa and Carbon to work with Intel commands. Quartz will be very difficult since it works with bot hthe processor and video card ( and some other stuff). It can be made to work fine however the challenge again is the hardware on computers, not everyone has an ATI or nVidia card, and not all ATI and nVidia cards are supported by the OS X layers.

The point is that it can be done in theory, It just depends on if people can organize themselves enough to make it work and keep it from Apple and it's lawyers. The end prodect will be basically usless though, Drivers will be dificult to produce and illeagle if produced. The point is that it would be really cool if anyone suceeds at doing this.

DON'T BOTHER ASKING FOR THE ROM FILE TO GET OS 9 WORKING ON YOUR PC. I WILL NOT SHARE (AND CANNOT FOR REASONS THAT DO NOT NEED EXPLAINING) JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT IT'S NEAT TO HAVE A COMPUTER THAT CAN DUAL BOOT TO WIN 98 AND OS 9.2.

So ya...

Looks like xp remotely connecting to an os x box.

you can't run os x on x86 hardware, sorry.

ahh u had to ruin it :p they dont know that :laugh:

Good joke (really only a joke or is a secret...???).... hehehehe.... :D

Anyways, as I said before... is only a matter of time,

a good emulator and a ROM BIOS image... :p

It can be done!!!!

I was working with a few guys, this is what we did... We ripped out the ROM chip form a PowerMac G3 and ripped the code to a software version of chip. When OS 7-9 tries booting up it actually looks to the ROM file for instruction, sorta like DOS needing command.com. We modified the ROM file to make calls to an Intel processor instead of a Motorola processor. The result: OS 9.2 ran great on the Pentium 2 400mhz. It actually ran faster than Windows 98. The problem was that there were no drivers for our hardware, to the OS was basically uselesson our PC except to look really funny. This is not an emulation, OS 9 ran nativle on the PC though it was not as stable due to a poor conversion of the ROM file on our part.

OS X is a different story, OS X does not make calls to the ROM file since OS X is a true opporating system. OS X is mad up of a number of layers (Darwin, Cococa, Carbon, Open GL, QuickTime, and Quartz. Darwin has been converted since t is open source. Open GL is basically convertes as is QuickTime. The difficult part will be converting Cocoa and Carbon to work with Intel commands. Quartz will be very difficult since it works with bot hthe processor and video card ( and some other stuff). It can be made to work fine however the challenge again is the hardware on computers, not everyone has an ATI or nVidia card, and not all ATI and nVidia cards are supported by the OS X layers.

The point is that it can be done in theory, It just depends on if people can organize themselves enough to make it work and keep it from Apple and it's lawyers. The end prodect will be basically usless though, Drivers will be dificult to produce and illeagle if produced. The point is that it would be really cool if anyone suceeds at doing this.

DON'T BOTHER ASKING FOR THE ROM FILE TO GET OS 9 WORKING ON YOUR PC. I WILL NOT SHARE (AND CANNOT FOR REASONS THAT DO NOT NEED EXPLAINING) JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT IT'S NEAT TO HAVE A COMPUTER THAT CAN DUAL BOOT TO WIN 98 AND OS 9.2.

So ya...

Why do I find that hard to believe :rolleyes:

Believe it.... However it is far from a dream system... Can't print, no sound, no modem, no networking... can't play many Mac games on it because they require direct access to the video card, which is not recognized by the system. So basically I an run stickies... just stickies and simple text and perhaps AppleWorks. I cannot run graphing calculator because the 3D stuff needs a graphics card.

The only benifiet that I can really think of is that it's sorta cool to see... I'll see if I can get a picture of our Dell laptop running OS 9 and post it...

Believe it.... However it is far from a dream system... Can't print, no sound, no modem, no networking... can't play many Mac games on it because they require direct access to the video card, which is not recognized by the system. So basically I an run stickies... just stickies and simple text and perhaps AppleWorks. I cannot run graphing calculator because the 3D stuff needs a graphics card.

The only benifiet that I can really think of is that it's sorta cool to see... I'll see if I can get a picture of our Dell laptop running OS 9 and post it...

i know for a fact that, that is false, www.emaculation.com news on a ppc emulator *been being made for a long time now*

Well, granted, it is more complex thatn what I have explained. For starters, the hard disk had to be taken to a Mac so we could partition an HFS+ section. The boot up sequence of the actual OS had to be changed to look for the ROM file on the disk instead of on a piece of hardware. Basically it works, but sometimes unstable since it is near impossible to convert the processor calls form a Motorola to Intel processor. This is quite a bit more limited than the emulators that are out there. Increadibly trimmed back and not too functional. The main thing is that after about a year of work it happened.

If you don't believe it, OK, I have nothing to prove. I just thought that I'd add my comments to this topic. It seemed revelant is all... I'm not really going to get into it further. No pic will be posted as I think it may be a waste of time. After all, I could just take a screen shot form my iMac and then make it full screen on the Dell... I could even take a series of screen shots and post an AVI to make it look like I'm useing OS 9 on the Dell and it would still seem unbelieveable. Some people need to actually see and touch the thing to believe "That's OK Thomas". Fine, I'm not arguing about it further...

A company could write a Mac emulator for the PC, but why; there really is no market to run Mac software on a PC, you buy a Mac if you need to use the software. And chances are that the required software is cross platform (Office, Adobe,etc.). It makes more sense for Macs to want to have PC emus as they may have to share files between coworkers or write cross platform software. Just imagine how much Apple would charge for the G3/G4 roms, you would be just as well off to buy an iMac.

Well, granted, it is more complex thatn what I have explained. For starters, the hard disk had to be taken to a Mac so we could partition an HFS+ section. The boot up sequence of the actual OS had to be changed to look for the ROM file on the disk instead of on a piece of hardware. Basically it works, but sometimes unstable since it is near impossible to convert the processor calls form a Motorola to Intel processor. This is quite a bit more limited than the emulators that are out there. Increadibly trimmed back and not too functional. The main thing is that after about a year of work it happened.

If you don't believe it, OK, I have nothing to prove. I just thought that I'd add my comments to this topic. It seemed revelant is all... I'm not really going to get into it further. No pic will be posted as I think it may be a waste of time. After all, I could just take a screen shot form my iMac and then make it full screen on the Dell... I could even take a series of screen shots and post an AVI to make it look like I'm useing OS 9 on the Dell and it would still seem unbelieveable. Some people need to actually see and touch the thing to believe "That's OK Thomas". Fine, I'm not arguing about it further...

Sorry m8, I know a LOT about emulation and PPC emulation and have been following the progress of ANY Mac emulator for over 3 years now. What you are saying is unfeasable and total rubbish.

You've been rumbled, shame on you lying online :no: