Partitioning meltdown :(

Question

Hi guys, had a bit of trouble partitioning last night....as in i screwed up my comp.

Mods please read and relocate if need be.

Well I was using Partition Magic 8.0....set up the partition of my main drive (to keep system files in C: and move personal files to E:)

Computer reboots and starts partitioning, got to 33% and an error came up.

"Error 1517: Required file attribute missing"

I have read from a number of sources that this can be solved with the CHDSK /f cmd BUT i had carried this out BEFORE i began to partition, anywho, I could not perform a CHDSK after this error anyways as my comp would not boot. So annoyed now as I have lost a lot of images of my son which I was going to place on the new partition before reformatting my c:

has anyone got any tips so that I can avoid this happening again?

And all because my external HDD was on the blink

10 answers to this question

I personally hate partition magic and other software to partition a hard drive, the only way I partition drives is during format and in dos or linux shell.

Nowadays with hard drives being so inexpensive, I am doing away with partitioning drives and instead using an extra drive, this also gives me greater flexibility, should I want to upgrade again in the future.

xpablo I would love to be able to buy another drive and keep everything seperate completely but I have just splashed out on some DJ gear and cant afford it right now.

I have had no experience using the DOS to partition so I thought Partition Magic would be good as there is a lot of good reviews about it.

I don't think your files are lost. You should be able to recover them once you fix your windows installation or using some other os that can reach your ntfs partition. (if something like that exists)

If you can get something else with Windows on it, try a program called R-Studio, it's amazing, a mate of mine had his drive wiped (a few times I should say) by a so-called "expert" and lost the lot, but I used that and managed to get his 5GB worth of Beatles MP3's back :) Happy days!

Based on my personal experience, Partition Magic sucks. I've been using Acronis DiskDirector with no problems at all. And I've been adjusting my partitions like crazy, mind you. ;)

Based on my personal experience, Partition Magic sucks. I've been using Acronis DiskDirector with no problems at all. And I've been adjusting my partitions like crazy, mind you. ;)

Although I've never had any problems with PM myself, I have heard several bad reviews of it. Does anyone have any experience with any freeware partitioning apps, seeing as I possibly have a lot of partitioning to do soon when I get Vista.