Yay

i got my ibook today :D, after months of waiting, i finally got it, it turns out the person at the computer store incharge of internet orders (one of the co-owners of the store) got fired 2 weeks ago (my uncle told me that, even tho i dunno how he knew) (i ordered the ibook 3 weeks ago), right now theres only 128 megs of ram, but its pretty fast for only 128 megs :D..

so far the only problem i had so far was stuffit crashing, either than that, the mac's been perfect :)

How to improve your iBook in 3 easy steps:

1) go to http://www.18004memory.com

2) Order a 256mb or 512 SODIMM for your laptop

3) Install upon arrival

Then it'll be purring like a kitten :)

If you actually want to see why it's a big deal, open up Terminal.app and type top (this is like the command-line version of TaskMan). Look at the pagein and pageout numbers (they're probably going up). That represents the ammount of Virtual Memory being used. Trust me, when you get an upgrade, those numbers will be and will stay at 0 nearly always :)

Oh, and go check out the newbie thread in the forum. TONS of useful links there!

actually i have the memory already (512 megs) but it isnt installed

do you see it switching resolutions or is it a pretty fluid change?

its set to 1024x768 by default, 800x600 looks ugly..but it looks ugly for basically any mac, but 1024x768 makes it look like a dream :D

im so suprised that 128 megs of ram on osx runs so well :), and msn mess for osx is alot better than msn mess for mac os 9 without a doubt :D, aim is faster for me on osx (im on dialup), everything is great bout the mac (i think i lost a power cable since i remember there being 2 power things or one that looked like a power cable adapter, and the other the one that hooks up to the ibook, i think i lost the first one but no biggie)...

i love this ibook :D and chimera is sweeeeeeeet

www.indigofield.com

go download proteus NOW. it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of both clients. Trust me, msn is soooo much faster with it, it'll make your head spin!

The only reason I don't use Proteus 100% of the time is because you can't read peoples away messages on AIM. At least with iChat you can read them when they aren't idle. Other than that Proteus is awesome.

www.indigofield.com

go download proteus NOW. it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of both clients. Trust me, msn is soooo much faster with it, it'll make your head spin!

Bah. Proteus is too much pretty stuff. Very bloated. Gotta love Adium though. I always went with the Adium/MSN combo.

The only reason I don't use Proteus 100% of the time is because you can't read peoples away messages on AIM. At least with iChat you can read them when they aren't idle. Other than that Proteus is awesome.

my friends recommend adium for aim, i'll give proteus a try, im soooo tired right now :( lol

how do you send files in proteus? i love its interface but i couldn't send and receive files...

only MSN supports file transfers, and I'm not exactly sure how to, cause I've never used them :D

not on my mac right now but from memory to send files u :

select the name of the contact then i think go to contact in the menu bar and select send file!

or u can open a chat window with the person and add the send file button to the toolbar then simply click it browse to what u wanna send and send away!

also im sure proteus suppots file transfers with more than msn?? i know icq does

i love the app i started using fire but in comparision! well there isnt one

well, proteus uses TOC for aim, which doesn't support file transfers. I've looked into making my own AIM OSCAR protocal imservices plugin, but it may be a bit over my head at this point (simply becuase I don't have the free time :)

well, proteus uses TOC for aim, which doesn't support file transfers. I've looked into making my own AIM OSCAR protocal imservices plugin, but it may be a bit over my head at this point (simply becuase I don't have the free time :)

:p now this threads gone offtopic...muahaha

i would use proteus but it isnt free.

Yes it is.. It's donation-ware. It has all the functions no matter if you've paid for it or not. The only difference is that if you pay, you don't get a nag screen (which hasn't got a delay or anything, btw) every 20 or so times you start the app. I can cope with that for an excellent program like Proteus. :)

the ram i got yesterday (512 megs of sdram) costed $200, a little expensive concidering i asked them to install the ram beforehand n they didnt :(, i would install it myself, but my dad wont let me lol...

How to improve your iBook in 3 easy steps:

1) go to http://www.18004memory.com

2) Order a 256mb or 512 SODIMM for your laptop

3) Install upon arrival

A guy I know bought a stick from them for his iBook and it ended up being corrupt. Are they pretty reliable?

Mines been running nearly 24/7 for a few months. Also, there's a lifetime warrantee, and this company HAS been around for 8 years too :)

yesterday i got my first kernal panic as soon as i booted up (had to restart), i took a pic of it but the stupid camera made the picture really poor quality :p, hmm after a few days of owning the ibook so far ive had a kernel panic (i know ppl who owned macs for years and never had a problem ever) a preference disappered on osx, and os9 crashed 3 times in a row (had to use an app that doesnt work on osx)....but either than that, its fast and stable :D