Patching the Kernel

Greetings.

Although I know that it's recommended to download the full source then compile, but when I tried that earlier by going from 2.4.13 to 2.4.18, it didn't work. Luckily, I was able to get out of the rut. And since now I have kernel 2.4.19, I can directly patch to 2.4.20. Meanwhile, when I type the following command:

gzip -cd /home/webgraph/patch-2.4.20.gz | patch -p0

I am prompted to type which files to patch. Am I supposed to just type Enter and skip the process or what? I picked this up from the Kernel readme on the www.kernel.org website. If I'm supposed to type specific files, I would like a listing, please! This could be useful for when I finally exclude Windows from my system. Or whein it comes to the file to patch, do I type the directory which the 2.4.19 kernel is stored? (in my case, /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk or linux-2.4.19)

Any info on this would help greatly. I just like to know so I can do it myself next time.

just type enter and they will b patched ahead.

The error code said that once patched, u will not be able to revert it.

I see that u r using | patch -p0

If i not wrong its mean with revert features...

i hv not done patching for a while :p

SRPM?

Just rpm --rebuild xxx.xxx.src.rpm

Its will compile on the fly and package as a xxx.xxx.rpm on this directory...(RH 7.x only)

/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

Then #rpm -Uvh xxx.xxx.rpm

And its done.

That's what i always do.

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing. Is there some way I can have the patching process be redirected to one specific directory instead of having to type it all manually? eg. My kernel directory is /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk and the default should be /usr/src/linux-2.4.19. Any way to do that? I don't mind the long way, but I'm curious about the shortcuts! :D