What Should I Learn First?

Question

Fully agree with you...

Pascal is a good language for learn the basic principles of thinking in programming, logic, structuration, recursiveness, and basic algorithms for problem resolution.... and later advance to more complex or newer languages... like those working in visual environments working with event programming...

I'm in IT since 23 years ago... doing programming, analysis and engineering in propietary and open architectures... I know what I'm talking about...  ;)

I'm glad someone agrees with me. It's a shame that so many seem to be of the opinion that c++ is a good starter language. I would liken learning programming in c++ to learning to drive in a Formula 1 car. Perhaps you might get to grips with it, but you'll never master it.

Yup... a lot of people think the best approach is the most powerfull language, but is WRONG.... the best approach is learn to THINKING in programming first... and learn languages later...

Languages are only tools to do a job, the KEYS are the thinking method and mastering the algorithms, the "mechanical" principles... ;)

If you want to get down and dirty with the nitty gritty details of your PC and have full control and raw performance: Assembly

If you'd like something in between ease of use and power then: C

If you've hit limitations with C and need a few extra features that C++ provides then: C++

If you want to take the easy way out of GUI designing and don't make sacrificing a little power and want an easy to learn language then: Visual Basic or Basic

Personally, I prefer my applications to have a mix of C and Inline Assembly compiled with the gcc compiler. Nothing like ease of use and raw performance there and being able to go in and out of Assembly. :D

I hope this helps you a little!

I like c/c++ and inline assembly. Almost all functions aren't speed critical and can be easily coded in c/c++ and let the optimizer do wonders to it, but some functions are best done in assembly (like using mmx, sse, sse2, 3dnow). GCC has a nice, but slightly confusing, inline assembly structure.

Fully agree with you...

Pascal is a good language for learn the basic principles of thinking in programming, logic, structuration, recursiveness, and basic algorithms for problem resolution.... and later advance to more complex or newer languages... like those working in visual environments working with event programming...

I'm in IT since 23 years ago... doing programming, analysis and engineering in propietary and open architectures... I know what I'm talking about...  ;)

I'm glad someone agrees with me. It's a shame that so many seem to be of the opinion that c++ is a good starter language. I would liken learning programming in c++ to learning to drive in a Formula 1 car. Perhaps you might get to grips with it, but you'll never master it.

Yup... a lot of people think the best approach is the most powerfull language, but is WRONG.... the best approach is learn to THINKING in programming first... and learn languages later...

Languages are only tools to do a job, the KEYS are the thinking method and mastering the algorithms, the "mechanical" principles... ;)

There are other classes to teach you think think like a programmer :)

Theory of algorithms, discrete math, etc etc :)

Fully agree with you...

I'm in IT since 23 years ago... doing programming, analysis and engineering in propietary and open architectures... I know what I'm talking about... ?;))

Languages are only tools to do a job, the KEYS are the thinking method and mastering the algorithms, the "mechanical" principles... ;))

There are other classes to teach you think think like a programmer:))

Theory of algorithms, discrete math, etc etc:))

Sure... I know it... as I said I'm on IT since 23 years ago... and I did the university and a lot of seminars and courses about software and system engineering... but we are talking about a good LANGUAGE to start in programming... ;))