MacScan beta released

Hello, I'm the creater of MacScan - I wanted to thank you for trying it out. There is a bug with the full scan which deals with permissions or lack-there-of when scanning the whole hard drive. The quick scan is actually not broken. I forgot to let people know what the quick scan does, it checks your computer in specific locations for any known spyware titles. Theres only a few currently for Mac OS X so it will check that location and see if its running and then it is complete.

The next version will include more details of what is does, how many it checked for and what it checked for. This was a flaw on my behalf which I'm fixing and we should have out on Monday.

About paranoia, there is spyware for the Macintosh. It's not as aparent as the PC but it still exists. You have companies going off saying they have undetectable spyware programs for the Mac, like Spector and there arn't any applications to detect it for the Mac or any of the other items.

I thank you for reading this, and taking a look at the software. The next version if you like, take a look at it see how much it has improved. Possibly knowing exactly what it is searching for would also help..

Thanks

Nick

Brian Hill's PSEUDO application will launch programs as root, this isn't the way we're solving this problem but it is a quick way to check it out to make it run with enough privledges to perform the FULL scan without crashing.

Don't worry about doing this for now, I'd hold off till our next release. I thank you again for your interest in MacScan :)

Nick