INI files

Question

18 answers to this question

well in windows there are a bunch of .ini files but you're more likely looking for a reference than a tutorial. If you want to use one in a program your writting, its simply a text file. Nothing more.

Well, there is an Win32 API to generate these file types for you although MS recommends you use the registry (yeah, right...). Here's a list I found at msdn.microsoft.com

• GetPrivateProfileInt
  • GetPrivateProfileString
  • GetPrivateProfileSection
  • GetPrivateProfileSectionNames
  • GetPrivateProfileStruct
  • WritePrivateProfileString
  • WritePrivateProfileSection
  • WritePrivateProfileStruct

System32,

On one hand you are working on a new project that is logon security related because Win98 is not feature rich enough but on the other you admit you are not very good with strings and text files?

I don't think I am going to wanting to trust my network to your new secure login.

System32,

On one hand you are working on a new project that is logon security related because Win98 is not feature rich enough but on the other you admit you are not very good with strings and text files?

I don't think I am going to wanting to trust my network to your new secure login.

thats exactly why i need help with the project.

You really don't want to try very hard at this. A few posts back you were given tha API functions to handle ALL the INI issues you could ever have. I'd write you an OCX but I couldn't make it any easier than you just making the API calls yourself.

Here is a link to an INI Tutorial written by a guy named VBScript.

INI Tutorial

Get that and go through the code.

I really think it is great that you want to learn to program in VB but you can't learn unless YOU do the work. If others do it for you, you aren't really going to learn.

Good luck.

That is a pretty good tutorial site. I hope system32 checks it out.

As for the guy named VBScript, he actually writes some pretty good VB code. Not the best but worthy of the credit for the sample project I offered.

I might step onto someones foot right now, but here it goes anyway:

Stop using VB and start using Delphi (Delphi for .Net coming soon, don't worry)..

It includes parsing ini files (using Win API) since ages.. And you will also benefit

from thinking in object oriented programming, which lacks in VB; because it

was never meant to be an OOP language (excluding VB.NET, because that's

more like OOP using classes and inheritence and polymorphism etc etc).

Is Delphi hard to use/learn; no.. Go see www.borland.com and get your

personal edition right away. Unless you want to stay with a _basic_

environment ;)

I just think it's better/easier to learn Delphi than to learn a language where

you gotta learn OOP later when you 'upgrade' to VB.NET

The problem with Delphi (and this is the only problem really) is that there are far more employment opportunities for Visual Basic programmers than for Delphi programmers.

VB coders are usually good for knowing more than just straight VB. They are usually capable with SQL, ASP and now VB.NET and C# as well.

These extra skills even further the opportunities for a MS based developer.

Very true however I would argue that the learning curve from zero knowledge in any language to being a productive member of a C++ development team is considerable. This is why even in todays market, C++ programmers demand higher pay.

In my experience, Java really only gets you the goods if you couple it with solid web or DB experience. Both of those can be hard for a beginner due to several obvious issues including having access to an enterprise scale DB. MySQL doesn't count in this area because I am talking of real development using Oracle (or Sybase etc.) for a backend in then enterprise setting.

I rarely hire a developer that only has MySQL or Access experience. Then again, my team works exclusivly on larger enterprise scale solutions.

And to point out that VB6.0 is a viable tool, I have been directly responsible for the deployment of 3 mission-critical enterprise apps that were developed exclusivly in VB6.0. These are applications that span areas including national retail point of sale, semi-conductor fabrication and manufacturing and customer relation managment. These examples are not a testament of my skills but to point out what can be done using a language that is beaten up as being inferior.

Is VB the end all language, not even close, but when used to its fullest it is a robust development tool that can get the job done.