Daytime Running Lights

Do you believe they should be law?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe they should be law?

• Yes
    • No

I'm on the fence with this one.

I mean, if you cannot see the other car while driving, what makes one think you can see their lights?

Maybe the headlights, at a distance, are more visible since they are shining straight at you, but....

I guess i just answered my own argument. :D

Maybe the headlights, at a distance, are more visible since they are shining straight at you, but....

That wouldn't work since headlights are supposed to aim low. The only reason you'd ever see them shining in your face is if they're improperly aimed.

That wouldn't work since headlights are supposed to aim low. The only reason you'd ever see them shining in your face is if they're improperly aimed.

haha...

umm, okay.

We'll just pretend that there isn't some light scattered parallel to the road surface... more light than what was there to begin with... and aimed right at an oncoming driver.

Try it some time- park a car a mile down the road from you and have them turn the lights off and on.

Let me know what you see.

Mine are half-beam high-beams, so they are aimed higher than normal headlights.

My 02 volvo s60 has them, and I don't care for them

Do they bother you when you drive? ;)

Nope. Even though it may be super minute they will use gas and at the prices these days.....

I think the math would work out to about $10 a year (if that) and why worry when the radio, AC, power windows and brakes and steering are all using the same power source we're suddenly worried about for DRL? There are many safety features we pay for in the price of the car, so why are so many resistant to this one? :blink:

How is it a safety feature? Seriously, I've never noticed any difference in my ability to see a car with or without DRL.

^Probably because it is just ANOTHER law that we would have crammed down our throat and enforced by too-eager rookie cops.

The cars I've driven have them, but I can't honestly say I notice whether an oncoming car has them or not...ever, now that I think about it. So for me it's a wash - doesn't matter whether it would be a law or not.

-Spenser

I say we just slow people down. If you're not considerate enough to put your lights on in dark conditions, or to take (really) enough time to look for other cars/people... how is seeing a dim light going to help?

It's law over here for a motorbike rider to have their lights on while driving, but they're small compared to a car. So you wouldn't notice them too well.

How is it a safety feature? Seriously, I've never noticed any difference in my ability to see a car with or without DRL.

Cars are more visible. You don't notice it probably because you don't see it much. It's just one of those things that you get used to.

Uh...don't all new (last 10 years) cars have that feature already?

Here in Manitoba running lights are mandatory. I don't see the big deal.

And what's with the "just another law being force down our throats" attitude?

Uh...don't all new (last 10 years) cars have that feature already?

Here in Manitoba running lights are mandatory. I don't see the big deal.

And what's with the "just another law being force down our throats" attitude?

Not in the US, among other countries.

I doubt the cars are that much more visible. The lights are dim and aren't attention grabbing.

Then why do some states make you turn on your lights in the rain on highways?

I despise them. It doesn't help and is just stupid. My car thankfully doesn't have this stupid feature.

The only time headlights are needed is at night or when it's raining and I can turn them on myself.

I despise them. It doesn't help and is just stupid. My car thankfully doesn't have this stupid feature.

The only time headlights are needed is at night or when it's raining and I can turn them on myself.

It doesn't help what?

DRL are not meant for night driving, BTW.

I don't have anything against them but if you can't see a car in clear weather without it having DRL your eyes are probably bad enough that you shouldn't be driving at all

Then why do some states make you turn on your lights in the rain on highways?

Usually when it rains it's looks more like dusk. I think lights should always be on while it's raining (and it is a law in my state of Alabama).

I have DRLs, but I don't think it should be a law of any kind. It just costs car manufactures more money for something that's useless. I can't say I remember a time where someone else DRL helped me see them better or helped avoid any sort of accident. They do help those people who can't remember to turn their lights on in the rain though ... but that's the only time I can say it's ever "helped". It's useless.

In a light color car (gray, white...) and in one of those really bright days, headlights can make the car more noticeable at range, still I don't think that will help that much.

I could understand if they automatically turned on in the night, but to me it just seems like they are wasting power in the day where they aren't even noticeable in the sun.