Glasses - Transitions or Clip Ons?

I had transitions for about a month (before the frame broke) and it was pretty cool. But it didn't seem to darken a lot. Also, it won't darken when the sun is going through glass (i.e. a car window). If you need them when you're driving, then go with the polarized.

Get contacts & a pair of sunglasses.

Transitions are gimmicky & expensive (I had a pair for like 2 years and they don't change fast enough to prevent me from sneezing (I tend to sneeze a couple times when I go from inside to outside when it's really bright and sunny), and they take even longer to change back.. plus, they don't really get dark enough to block much light.. and unless you want to look like a tard wearing HUUUGE glasses, they sure as hell won't block the sun when it's high in the sky).

Clip ons look dumb and they're a hassle.

Contacts & sunglasses = win. You gain the appearance of having perfect vision (ie, not wearing glasses), and you can buy whatever sunglasses you like (cheap or expensive.. I prefer them cheap-ish in case I scratch/break them, but not too cheap as to be fugly &/or not polarized). I switched to contacts a little over a year ago and haven't looked back since. I'm still on my "6 month" package of contacts, and I still have 2 pairs left to go before I have to buy more (I don't have any problems wearing '30 day' contacts for 3 months...).

The only con to contacts IMO is feeling vulnerable.. After wearing glasses for 10+ years, you tend to feel very vulnerable when it comes to some unexpected event damaging your eye(s) (whether it's riding a bike and a bug pwning you, or any other everyday task).. You'll find the switch pretty different too, it'll probably take 1-3 days to get used to the difference in vision (your focus area will probably seem bigger.. also, contacts tend to offer much wider field of view correction).

i don't wear contacts so i was also looking into transitions or clip-ons. Just like MrA mentioned, transitions dont work in the car, so i ruled them out. and they're EXPENSIVE.

Biren - clip-ons dont look bad at all. are you think about those 80s style clip-ons? Just buy a frame that come with a magnetic clip on, and it works perfectly. the magnetic clip ons are completely 'secure'. you probably cant play basketball on them, but it's great for the car cuz you can slip it on when u start driving.

I'm the son of an eye doctor and I've got to say the clip ons or the contacts and sunglasses bet is your best bet.

Transitions are gimmicky and they stay brown after a few months of wearing them outside. They're horrible for what you pay for them.

I have transitions and they're absolutely amazing. They obviously arent as good as they show in the commericial, but i have had them for a few years now and i havent had the problem of them staying dark. I have heard that the brown tinted ones aren't as reliable as the black tinted ones (which i have) and i recommend getting those.

Transitions used to really annoy me, they never adjusted properly. I'd avoid clip ons though, they might accentuate the geek look a bit too much :geek:

I've got some Blue-Tinted Transitions, I've had them for about two-three years now. The drawbacks are that they are slow to change, and don't darken quite enough outdoors. The good is that they do block UV out nicely, and they get dark enough to do the job. I've been wearing glasses for eons now, it seems. I'd love to try contacts, but I'm chicken about putting pieces of plastic/glass in my eyes.

to be fair, I've heard the newer transitions lenses are quicker to change but I've never had them.

Before I wore contacts (yes, they are awesome) I bought a pair of Calvin Klein frames that came with clip ons. They didn't look dumb because you couldn't really tell I had them on since they were made to match the frame color and shape exactly and they were by far the best sunglasses I've owned. Now that I wear contacts and I broke the frames they are useless. Unfortunately, I've still yet to find a better pair of sunglasses.

If you do go the glasses route, even though plenty of people here are telling you contacts rule, make sure you get them with Crizal if the place offers it (~$60). It's a scratch resistant and anti-glare coating that really works wonders. People will think you don't have lenses in the frames they do such a great job. Plus it keeps the lint, dust and fingerprints off a lot better than without it. With it I used to clean my glasses maybe once a day. Without it, it I was cleaning them all the time.

I agree - contacts and sunglasses are the best way to go.

I have had contacts since 1998 when I was 15. Loved every aspect of it as they tend to give me a much broader view.

Oh and I have astigmatism, by the way. Before contacts, I wore thick coke-bottom glasses and I look horrible in them.