BIOS wants a password i dont have

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 evol

evol

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:49

hello hello =]

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.8C Socket 478 cpu and an Intel D865GLC motherboard.

I needed to update the BIOS and so downloaded the latest BIOS for this motherboard from the Intel site here. After running the setup utility in windows, it restarted my computer and did 8 beeps, updating the BIOS i presume, and then restarted the computer again. Upon restarting it keeps asking me to "Enter CURRENT password"...

Before the update, i didnt have a BIOS password, and i've tried entering blank passwords and obvious ones but to no avail.
I've tried taking out the CMOS battery for 20mins, and that reset the clock but it still wanted a password when i turned it back on...><
I've tried to look for the reset jumpers on my motherboard, but it appears there are none.

Some help would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment my computer is pretty much useless since i cant get to windows><

Thanx in advance :):)

#2 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

• Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:58

Did you try the Recovery BIOS Update or re-flashing via Iflash BIOS Update which is DOS based (both require a floppy drive)?

Take a look at the motherbord doc (http://download.inte...lc/C3263401.pdf), take a read on page 84 section 2.9.2

Edited by primortal, 22 June 2007 - 13:01.

#3 OP evol

evol

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:10

I cant use the Recovery BIOS Update or the IFlash BIOS update because i can't get into the BIOS to change the boot order at all, since the first thing that happens when i turn my computer on is it asks for a password.

I checked out the motherboard doc, but on my motherboard the jumpers arent there, instead of having the pins and jumper things their just flat dots on the motherboard.

Is there a default Intel motherboard password or something?

#4 The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:11

There should be a jumper on the motherboard for the bio password just remove the jumper and reboot the machine... and the password prompt is gone.

#5 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:15

Remeber to also disconnect the powercable to your PC when taking out the battery.

#6 OP evol

evol

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:17

Yup i took out the power cable and then the CMOS battery and left it for 20mins...then i put the battery back in and tried again. The clock got reset but i can't even go into the BIOS to set it again because it asks for a password still :(

#7 Harreh

Harreh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:19

Yup i took out the power cable and then the CMOS battery and left it for 20mins...then i put the battery back in and tried again. The clock got reset but i can't even go into the BIOS to set it again because it asks for a password still :(

There should be a jumper to remove, as well. Not just the battery.

#8 Lexcyn

Lexcyn

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:23

Did you try the 'shorting out trick'? This is where you take the battery out and leave the power unplugged, but take a screwdriver and connect the contacts on the battery socket together to kind of 'short' it out. This will drain all of the capacitors quickly which may work. However, you may have to find the jumper if it gets saved to EEPROM.

#9 OP evol

evol

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:24

I can't find any jumpers on my motherboard...where there should be jumpers there are just flat dots instead of pins sticking out =/

#10 DanMc85

DanMc85

The One and Only

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:25

as weird as this will sound, but i have seen this issue before on some computers. Try just hitting enter leaving a blank password or do a spacebar then enter. i know it sounds dumb but i have seen it work because of stupid bios glitches after flashing.

#11 OP evol

evol

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:28

tried blank password, spacebar, etc.

what a painful screen lol:

Enter CURRENT Password : X
Enter CURRENT Password : *X
Enter CURRENT Password : X

"Password check failed
Fatal Error...System Halted"

#12 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:30

I cant use the Recovery BIOS Update or the IFlash BIOS update because i can't get into the BIOS to change the boot order at all, since the first thing that happens when i turn my computer on is it asks for a password.

A shot in the dark, but can you disconnect your HD's and CD/DVD Rom and then boot to floppy?

#13 OP evol

evol

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:34

A shot in the dark, but can you disconnect your HD's and CD/DVD Rom and then boot to floppy?

Tried disconnecting them but it still wont boot anything, it wants its stupid password before it wants to do anything lol :(

I was thinking is there a master password for BIOS's or something?

#14 mtrftw

mtrftw

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:35

... the manual is here: http://www.intel.com...b/cs-008973.htm

read page 84

Edited by norky, 22 June 2007 - 13:35.

#15 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

Posted 22 June 2007 - 13:37

@norky read my first post above :)

evol, being the jumper pins are missing your pretty much hosed. Try calling intel support to see if they can help you.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!