Going for driving test any tips?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#1 sn00pie

sn00pie

Neowinian Senior

• 6,202 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 17:16

I'm pretty good at normal driving my only problem-causers could be parallel parking and/or reverse stall parking.

Do you guys have any tips for going to your driving test? :D

#2 XDViPeR

XDViPeR

V1P3R

• 3,172 posts
  • Phone: Nexus

Posted 05 August 2007 - 17:19

Be clam, Try not to think there is someone next to you, instead think you're driving alone. parking isn't too much ponits, but try not to **** up on that tho. btw: every state/country has different road test, but they should be some-what simular.

#3 MiG-

MiG-

Neowinian Senior

• 2,572 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 17:59

Relax. I can't stress this enough. If you relax, everything will flow nicely.

#4 SacrificialSoldier

SacrificialSoldier

Ask And You Shall Recieve

• 5,914 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 18:02

Dont hit anything :p lol!
Ok, for real. Just what they said, Relax... It will be over sooner then you think.

#5 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 22:48

Dont speed, and don't drive too slow either.

#6 Pierce28

Pierce28

That guy

• 674 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 22:51

I could use some points, too, since I hope to go for it next week.

Let us know how it goes!

#7 MasterC

MasterC

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 6,019 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 22:58

I was so freaking lucky for my test- I didn't have to parallel park or drive on the highway :woot:

My one suggestion is that whenever you look into your mirrors or over your shoulder to check traffic, exagerate the movement. Now, I just glance up to the rearview, but actually turn your head so they see you're looking. (Y)

#8 kimsland

kimsland

Computer Technician

• 1,690 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 23:04

Drive slow, always at least 5 under speed limit
Move your head when looking at mirrors
Again go slowly around corners.
Lastly think that you are the only one on the road, just obstacles that you must avoid.

When you get your licence forget most things you have been taught!
Watch out for everyone, most want to be in an accident, and are usually drunk!
Don't dare do 5 under the speed limit, you will be screamed abuse at until you crack!
Watch the gas gauge not the speedo (like all of us now, the gas meter takes precedence)
Peak hour means everything goes, there are no laws in peak hour.
Don't indicate too far ahead (the legal distance) most won't know where you're going (ie indicate, turn)
Make sure you cram as many friends into your car as you can, more friends, more respect.

You will have a 50/50 chance of survival until age 25 or 30 or something, thinking you're invincible doesn't make your driving better (hence your friends are for that, wow cool burnout man!)

Kim

#9 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• 5,306 posts
  • Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 07 August 2007 - 23:20

I'm pretty good at normal driving my only problem-causers could be parallel parking and/or reverse stall parking.

Do you guys have any tips for going to your driving test? :D

Find an empty parking lot to practice parking in (office park on the weekend). If there is road construction near you, "borrow" a few orange cones to set up a parallel parking space.
Take the test in a vehicle that you are comfortable driving.
Keep both hands on the steering wheel at the "10 & 2" positions.
Finally, just try to relax

#10 Allan®

Allan®

Still Unbanned

• 6,518 posts
  • Location: U[universe]:\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\North America\Canada\Ontario\Toronto.city
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 07 August 2007 - 23:23

Drive the speed limit. not under, not over. You WILL get docked points / marks for going under OR over.
Kim said it right - turn your head! Consitantly - when looking in your side mirrors, and in blind spots.
Don't under or over steer. Stop BEFORE or ON the large white "stop" line - not after, and NOT at the corner (where there are stop signs) - another few points for that.

Have fun. Think "I'll have my licence soon!"

#11 TurboTuna

TurboTuna

Neowinian Senior

• 2,811 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 23:28

Don't crash

#12 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,635 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:08

This subject comes up a lot... so I'm pining this thread... so make it a good one.

#13 yanman

yanman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,316 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:45

My one suggestion is that whenever you look into your mirrors or over your shoulder to check traffic, exagerate the movement. Now, I just glance up to the rearview, but actually turn your head so they see you're looking. (Y)

Couldn't agree more :) Also, another point is to take your time, sometimes an examiner will see how you react under pressure with little time, he/she may ask you to make a right/left hand turn almost suddenly when you're very close to a side street, if you feel that you have to been told too late or too close to the street you're meant to turn in to, just relax, take your time, slow down but keep going straight and ask where you should turn next since you missed the previous turn. If they ask why you didn't turn, say that you didn't feel that it was a safe time to turn as you didn't have enough time to slow down or warn the car behind you that you are turning.

#14 OP sn00pie

sn00pie

Neowinian Senior

• 6,202 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:49

Yeah i hear you have to make it obvious taht your looking around, I'm thinking about just calling things out aka mirror check, shoulder check etc. Will that be good enough?

Can't you go 5 over or under the speed limit without being deducted points?

I was thinking about trying to strike a conversation with the tester, what should I say? Did you see Beckhams goal? :rofl:

#15 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,015 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:53

Don't drive to slowly, because, you know, "if you're driving 5 under the limit, the guy behind you is driving 10 under the limit, and the guy behind him is driving 15 under the limit."

Yes, that is an exact quote from the DMV guy who failed me on my first drivers test, that being the reason for failing me.

Makes ya wonder, huh.

-Spenser